Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not going to be a combined match until at least 2015. Also have heard that it may be pushed back farther than that. Definitely won't be in 2014.

Members don't see this ad.

Not going to be a combined match until at least 2015. Also have heard that it may be pushed back farther than that. Definitely won't be in 2014.

2015 is the earliest I have heard, but now that several osteo organizations are pushing against the merger (they are worried about losing their identity), I would not be surprised if the merger didnt happen until 2018.

Members don't see this ad :)
2015 is the earliest I have heard, but now that several osteo organizations are pushing against the merger (they are worried about losing their identity), I would not be surprised if the merger didnt happen until 2018.
This doesn't shock me in the slightest... the "leadership" make it their policy to keep good things from happening for the majority just so they can keep their titles and positions.

This doesn't shock me in the slightest... the "leadership" make it their policy to keep good things from happening for the majority just so they can keep their titles and positions.

Much like the government and congress...

Yeah...the rumblings that I've heard is that people will be surprised if the merger happens at all.

Anyone know when we can officially cut ties with the AOA without repercussion? I paid for this year so I could do resolution 42 and not be limited on where i practice in the future. But starting pgy-2 can I cut ties entirely without issue?

Anyone know when we can officially cut ties with the AOA without repercussion? I paid for this year so I could do resolution 42 and not be limited on where i practice in the future. But starting pgy-2 can I cut ties entirely without issue?

I don't want to derail the thread, but are you for certain that you need to pay AOA dues in order to do the resolution 42 paperwork? Ugh.

Hypothetically ;), if someone were applying to osteopathic EM with low 500s comlex and middle of the road class rank what types of programs would be reasonable? With a limited number of auditions possible, want to do the best programs possible but also not waste time with programs that would not consider such numbers.

Hypothetically ;), if someone were applying to osteopathic EM with low 500s comlex and middle of the road class rank what types of programs would be reasonable? With a limited number of auditions possible, want to do the best programs possible but also not waste time with programs that would not consider such numbers.

This is where it gets tricky in EM. Most programs dont really cut anyone off in that range. There is no magic number per program. EM tends to be a field that looks at an applicant more globally. They look at the whole package. The SLORs (SLOEs) mean A lot in the EM world. Performance on auditions are also huge for EM, so I would try to do as many as possible. WIth your stats I would honestly apply to rotate where you want to be and impress them on rotations. Like I said before there are no magic numbers per program so this is a little hard to guide you on. EM tends to take applicants based off of the mentality of 1) is he/she teachable? 2) can I tolerate working with them for 3-4 years? 3) Can I trust them? which is why auditions are more important than grades for EM. Also remember to apply broadly (if you can afford it apply to all) and go on as many interviews as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is where it gets tricky in EM. Most programs dont really cut anyone off in that range. There is no magic number per program. EM tends to be a field that looks at an applicant more globally. They look at the whole package. The SLORs (SLOEs) mean A lot in the EM world. Performance on auditions are also huge for EM, so I would try to do as many as possible. WIth your stats I would honestly apply to rotate where you want to be and impress them on rotations. Like I said before there are no magic numbers per program so this is a little hard to guide you on. EM tends to take applicants based off of the mentality of 1) is he/she teachable? 2) can I tolerate working with them for 3-4 years? 3) Can I trust them? which is why auditions are more important than grades for EM. Also remember to apply broadly (if you can afford it apply to all) and go on as many interviews as you can.

:thumbup: thanks

what types of programs would be reasonable?

the one that at least give you an interview
you're at LECOM-B, it's not a prob to do a ton of EM rotations
I did 11 when i was there
you're only 45 min from usf, 2 hr from ormc, fl hosp, 2.5 from UF, 3 to jax, 3 to miami, 3 to port st lucie
you should be beating down the doors trying to get a rotation/shadow on your off time

Does anyone know for sure any programs that will only interview you if you rotated there? I have heard rumors of a few, but was just wondering if anyone had any solid evidence of this. Obviously it's impossible to rotate everywhere. I'm just trying to knock a few programs off my list if I will just be wasting my money applying since I wasn't able to rotate there. Thanks!

Sparrow EM in Lansing not available on ERAS. Anyone know why this is?

Does anyone know for sure any programs that will only interview you if you rotated there? I have heard rumors of a few, but was just wondering if anyone had any solid evidence of this. Obviously it's impossible to rotate everywhere. I'm just trying to knock a few programs off my list if I will just be wasting my money applying since I wasn't able to rotate there. Thanks!

Barnabas Bronx- they will interview but will be blatant at your interview that you will not be ranked unless you rotate there.

Barnabas Bronx- they will interview but will be blatant at your interview that you will not be ranked unless you rotate there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this doing us a disfavor. By the time they give an interview, chances are you wont be able to do a rotation. Thus we would just be wasting money on an interview that we have no shot for a residency at. So frustrating that Osteopathic programs have to be like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this doing us a disfavor. By the time they give an interview, chances are you wont be able to do a rotation. Thus we would just be wasting money on an interview that we have no shot for a residency at. So frustrating that Osteopathic programs have to be like this.

Agreed. Extremely frustrating.

Welcome to the exact reason I chose not to pursue Osteopathic EM programs eventhough I'd probably stand a better chance at matching into one than allopathic. They are pretty much insane and these beliefs and actions make me wonder how the programs would function from the inside if this is how they function from the outside.

You are correct. This is why for me I was in the area so going for an interview/rotation didnt hurt But, if I was was traveling in for this interview then I would have cancelled if I knew this information.

Most programs do not care if you rotated there. It greatly improves your chances of matching at your top choices, especially if you really impress them on an audition but it is generally not required to rotate in order to match. only a few programs do this and barnabas bronx is one of them.

Does anyone know for sure any programs that will only interview you if you rotated there?

From what Arrowhead has told us, they pretty much do this. Historically, they've used a COMLEX 450 as a cutoff for people who rotated and 500 for those that haven't, but they've recently increased that to 500, or a Level 1/Level 2 average of 550. Every time they've been to Western to talk to us, they basically have said they only take people who rotate. The other thing is that they also don't normally go very far into their match list to fill.

This is not true at all. I know people who have matched there who did not rotate. And was hinted I would match there if I ranked them 1 and I did not.

This is not true at all. I know people who have matched there who did not rotate. And was hinted I would match there if I ranked them 1 and I did not.

Just to clarify...when I said I did not, I mean I didn't rotate there. I also know lyk 3-4 other places where I interviewed and had a bunch of post-interview communication hinting I would match there and I only rotated at one DO program. So altho this may be true for some programs, most this is not (St. Joes, Good Sam, Einstein, UMDNJ-SOM, Newark Beth Israel, Barnabas). Obviously rotating helps, but isn't the end all be all

So is there a consensus of the main DO EM programs that are pretty much only going to give spots if you rotated there? (though I understand there may be some debate about whether they've deviated from that a few times)

I trained at Lehigh Valley Hospital. Obviously I am biased but I think it is an amazing hospital with great facilities and resources, excellent clinical staff and leadership. I dont think you could go wrong there. Residents get the benefit of learning to practice in several different hospital settings and have a critical care experience that would rival the best.

From my experience, Lehigh Valley is one of the best osteopathic/dually accredited programs out there. I rotated there as a student and while it was ranked lower than where I matched, would have been thrilled to train there.

St. Barnabas will provide you with all of the clinical experiences one could hope for, with both sheer volume(100k/year) and with diversity in patient pathology. Level 1 trauma: knife and guns club. Each class has 2-3 people who have matched without rotating there. The residency takes students from all geographical, and social backgrounds.

There is no hand holding... You are tossed in the fire and should be ready to work your ass off and get good quick. Ancillary staff is at a minimum, as with most NYC high volume county ED's.

Best of all? NYC is your playground.
It's a great place to train, and you will undoubtably be prepared for the real world.

St. Barnabas will provide you with all of the clinical experiences one could hope for, with both sheer volume(100k/year) and with diversity in patient pathology. Level 1 trauma: knife and guns club. Each class has 2-3 people who have matched without rotating there. The residency takes students from all geographical, and social backgrounds.

There is no hand holding... You are tossed in the fire and should be ready to work your ass off and get good quick. Ancillary staff is at a minimum, as with most NYC high volume county ED's.

Best of all? NYC is your playground.
It's a great place to train, and you will undoubtably be prepared for the real world.[/

I wasnt personally cool with the idea of doing the transports and such.

Same here, I walked out of that interview knowing absolutely nothing about them. I can't believe they didn't provide any more information about their program or even an introduction to the program itself, or some upper level residents to talk to us, especially since the interns appear to do their own thing completely separate from the rest of the residency.

That tour of the hospital they do one month in residency in was extremely useful.

UMDNJ(Rowan) Kennedy University Hospital

I know this is a year old but if anyone needs any information on this program just PM me. We work at 4 different hospitals in the area so its hard to give someone a full tour of our hospitals.

I wasnt personally cool with the idea of doing the transports and such.

Or starting all of your own IVs and drawing all of your own labs. No thanks.

How many osteopatchic programs are you all applying to? I have 21 in my ERAS and I struggled a little to come up with that many.

How many osteopatchic programs are you all applying to? I have 21 in my ERAS and I struggled a little to come up with that many.

I picked out 31, but I have a feeling some of them won't even consider me since I didn't rotate there. Figured that I can always scale back easier later than add programs once its to late.

I picked out 31, but I have a feeling some of them won't even consider me since I didn't rotate there. Figured that I can always scale back easier later than add programs once its to late.

yep, it's first come first serve. that was something I should have done, apply heavy then scale back. by the time i added programs all the interview spots were booked. this applies to DO and MD

Based on the published data I know 30+ initial applications is a good number on the MD side of things but they have ~150 programs... We don't have much data and only have 49 plus rotating is important for a lot of them. I know it's good to apply "broad" how many programs is considered "broad"?

I sent out to 17 programs and felt like I was stretching it. fwiw good boards, LORs/SLORs, ECs

Should I increase from 17 to 25-30 just for the sake of making it easier later just in case?

Should I increase from 17 to 25-30 just for the sake of making it easier later just in case?

I applied to 24 "just in case".... anyone know how often programs usually download applications and send out invites?

Based on the published data I know 30+ initial applications is a good number on the MD side of things but they have ~150 programs... We don't have much data and only have 49 plus rotating is important for a lot of them. I know it's good to apply "broad" how many programs is considered "broad"?

I sent out to 17 programs and felt like I was stretching it. fwiw good boards, LORs/SLORs, ECs

Always go overboard you can always cancel interviews.

My stats are as follows:
1.)level 1 520s
2.)level 2 >650

I am currently considering AOA EM as well as EM/IM. I am wondering if my step 1 will be a hindrance?

Also considering a very few ACGME EM programs. Would my step 2 open doors for this in anyone previous experience?

Also when do invites for interviews go out for EM?

Thanks for your help,
Makati

My stats are as follows:
1.)level 1 520s
2.)level 2 >650

I am currently considering AOA EM as well as EM/IM. I am wondering if my step 1 will be a hindrance?

Also considering a very few ACGME EM programs. Would my step 2 open doors for this in anyone previous experience?

Also when do invites for interviews go out for EM?

Thanks for your help,
Makati

Your stats are fine. The 520 is a little below the average but its an average people match on both sides of the number. This is ok. The 650 is a definite save and shows great improvement.

Invites typically start going out in September, Watch your emails, the dates are first come first serve at most programs.

Your stats are fine. The 520 is a little below the average but its an average people match on both sides of the number. This is ok. The 650 is a definite save and shows great improvement.

Invites typically start going out in September, Watch your emails, the dates are first come first serve at most programs.

What's the Step 1 average for DO EM programs? I ended up with a 506 and I thought that was around average for DO EM.

What's the Step 1 average for DO EM programs? I ended up with a 506 and I thought that was around average for DO EM.

I saw somewhere it was ~500

Well that depends on the programs and areas you want to be in. More popular areas/programs will cut off usually around 550 for an automatic screening filter unless you rotated there and impressed them. Below 550 without rotating, you will be in the running to match somewhere, but you probably will not get as many interviews nor interviews at the better programs, as your above 550 colleagues. 550 is just an easy number for these programs to lump them together, some are 550, 530, 560 etc. point is the better programs have automatic filters.

But you can match at a good program with a score below 550, a great application or rotation at the facility will make them reconsider on a case by case basis. Generally above 500 and you are good for somewhere

last match report i looked at the average was 501

Last edited:

Great_success.jpg

Anyone have any idea when we can expect interview invites?

Do you have a link to that info? Does it list averages for all specialties? If you have please post, I would like to check it out.

Also I know that national average COMLEX scores from this year was a 523, so that would mean that the average COMLEX of people who matched EM is significantly below the overall average? Does that sound right? I thought EM was fairly competitive.

Do you have a link to that info? Does it list averages for all specialties? If you have please post, I would like to check it out.

Also I know that national average COMLEX scores from this year was a 523, so that would mean that the average COMLEX of people who matched EM is significantly below the overall average? Does that sound right? I thought EM was fairly competitive.

I was under the impression they standardized the level 1 scores so they had a mean of 500?

I was under the impression they standardized the level 1 scores so they had a mean of 500?

yes, the design of the test is such that 500 is always the average score