osteopathic NS programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squad41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on specifics on DO NS programs?

Quality?
Variety of cases?
Trauma heavy?
Skull Base?
Teaching?
Friendliess of residents/attendings?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know anything about these? I am possibly interested in the Virginia and Cook County, IL programs, but am so PISSED that the DO match disqualifies you from the allopathic match. If I match in one of these, I would have to take it and it would really make me mad if I could have gone to a program I wanted to go to more. We need to have a real ranking system including all of our potential choices not this BS!!!!

To the original poster, you're asking six questions about eleven programs - that would require a lot of effort in a response. Instead I would recommend searching this forum as those topics have been covered several times over the last few years. Also, go to each programs' website or the AOA's opportunities website for more general information. If after doing that you have specific questions, do not hesitate to PM or email me. I'd be happy to help.

To the second poster, since you're 'so pissed about the BS system,' you should consider only applying to MD programs. As you know, you are not obligated to participate in the DO match. Therefore, focus on what you want and put all your effort toward your goal. Good luck.

-Jason
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
my specific question was in regards to Chicago/Cook County and Carilion/Virginia Tech's DO neurosurgery programs in terms of resident quality of life, clinical strengths and weaknesses of the programs, etc....

Does anyone know anything about Cook County neurosurgery program? I've been looking on their website but can't seem to fnid any good information

How competitive are Osteopathic Neurosurgery programs? Are away rotations encouraged in order to match?

In the midst of applying and interviews, anyone have anything to add to this forum? I don't but would love to hear.

How important is research to the DO programs?

Whoever applied DO Neurosurg this year, what do your resumes' look like?

Anyone know anything about these? I am possibly interested in the Virginia and Cook County, IL programs, but am so PISSED that the DO match disqualifies you from the allopathic match. If I match in one of these, I would have to take it and it would really make me mad if I could have gone to a program I wanted to go to more. We need to have a real ranking system including all of our potential choices not this BS!!!!

Why does the osteopathic match disqualify you from the allopathic match?

I don't feel sorry for you at all.

I'm running into a similar problem with some of the pre-med students that I am advising. The problem is that they don't know exactly what they want to do, and have made or are currently making choices that will effectively close the door on some, but not all, of their opportunities in the future.

With a D.O. and applying for allopathic residencies in neurosurgery is going to put you at a major disadvantage to the M.D. candidates. I didn't create that reality, but it's the truth. I have many colleagues who did osteopathic school and they are wonderful physicians, but I have not met nor have I heard of any osteopathic docs in an allopathic neurosurgery program. Furthermore, I don't think the American Board of Neurological Surgeons recognizes ANY osteopathic neurosurgery residency programs.

Unfortunately, as far as neurosurgery allopathic residencies are concerned, you shot yourself in the foot by going to osteopathic school. Why a D.O. instead of M.D.? That's the answer that all allopathic residencies will want to know. And unfortunately, they all already have a preconceived answer in their minds.

I'm running into a similar problem with some of the pre-med students that I am advising. The problem is that they don't know exactly what they want to do, and have made or are currently making choices that will effectively close the door on some, but not all, of their opportunities in the future.

With a D.O. and applying for allopathic residencies in neurosurgery is going to put you at a major disadvantage to the M.D. candidates. I didn't create that reality, but it's the truth. I have many colleagues who did osteopathic school and they are wonderful physicians, but I have not met nor have I heard of any osteopathic docs in an allopathic neurosurgery program. Furthermore, I don't think the American Board of Neurological Surgeons recognizes ANY osteopathic neurosurgery residency programs.

Unfortunately, as far as neurosurgery allopathic residencies are concerned, you shot yourself in the foot by going to osteopathic school. Why a D.O. instead of M.D.? That's the answer that all allopathic residencies will want to know. And unfortunately, they all already have a preconceived answer in their minds.

No offense intended, but no one is talking about a DO trying to match an ACGME neurosurgery program. And to your comment on the ABNS, no they don't recognize AOA residency programs. But there are 11 DO neurosurgery programs, and you would be boarded by an osteopathic board.

How important is research to the DO programs?

Whoever applied DO Neurosurg this year, what do your resumes' look like?

I'd like to know this as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I have many colleagues who did osteopathic school and they are wonderful physicians, but I have not met nor have I heard of any osteopathic docs in an allopathic neurosurgery program.

There have been quite a few.

http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/doctor/jamessilverthorn/

UC Davis has graduated two DO's from their NS program. Loma Linda matched one this year. Missouri - Columbia and LSU - Shreveport both have DO's amongst their current residents.

I plan on entering the ACGME match for a neurosurgery program next year, as an osteopath.

Last edited:
There have been quite a few.

http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/doctor/jamessilverthorn/

UC Davis has graduated two DO's from their NS program. Loma Linda matched one this year. Missouri - Columbia and LSU - Shreveport both have DO's amongst their current residents.

I plan on entering the ACGME match for a neurosurgery program next year, as an osteopath. It may be a bit more difficult, but I'm confident that I can get in.

It's hard to be confident when applying to neurosurgery residency and I applaud your achievements. How many DOs apply to osteopathic neurosurgery programs? Do a lot of DOs apply to allopathic programs? Why or why not?

You can take this with a grain of salt since I am not involved at all in this, but I think in any field where you have a lot more qualified candidates compared to spots, you'll favor 'ECs' like research. Even if your program mainly graduates private practice physicians, if you have great clinical grades, LORs, and high board scores past a certain threshold, research would be the logical way to differential people rather than 260 vs 262 on the boards or something. Obviously, the more academic the program, the more research is valued.

The thing is that there are so few Osteopathic NS programs (around 10 or less AFAIK?) - you can just go to their web pages and email people and ask, maybe current/past residents or someone in charge of the program.

For anyone who was wondering, I emailed NJ St. Barnabas. They said their DO NS residency starts at a COMLEX score of 540. Obviously, they also recommended a rotation with them. Cheers and good luck!

That's great information. Do you know anything else on any other programs?

I don't I'm sorry. Quite frankly still figuring out what I want to do. I would assume you need some research under your belt, not necessarily in NS

I don't I'm sorry. Quite frankly still figuring out what I want to do. I would assume you need some research under your belt, not necessarily in NS

No you dont necessarily. The pool of applicants usually ranges 30-50 per year with 9-15 spots per year.

whats the future like with all AOA residency programs converting to ACGME? Stigma between the two still going to be there? Will D.Os have the same chance as an M.D when applying?

whats the future like with all AOA residency programs converting to ACGME? Stigma between the two still going to be there? Will D.Os have the same chance as an M.D when applying?

No one really knows. IT seems that the AOA residencies will remain an institute within the acgme but they will have most of their regulations on training set by the ACGME, Also, I would assume therefore that AOA programs will be required to have the same requirements in terms of case variety and volume as an ACGME program. We shall see over the coming years but I do know that some programs are making their length 7 years to align with ACGME.

I would imagine that the AOA and ACGME will combine at the medical school level within the next 10 years as well.

Can anyone tell me what are the top DO residency programs for neurosurgery right now?