Osteopathic Pediatrician Refuses to Treat Baby with Lesbian parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, I have. I'm glad that's not the case where you grew up in Oklahoma, but that doesn't mean those places don't exist. Where I was people are either against it or are totally apathetic, as in they would certainly not switch doctors to protest anything.
Same goes for when I lived in rural North Dakota

Members don't see this ad.

I should also add that where I was they were generally apathetic not because they didn't care, but because they kind of had their head in the sand and didn't think it would ever "happen to them." I remember one conversation about this with a friend where I asked what would happen if her sibling turned out to be gay and she said "Oh that wouldn't happen." I asked her how she knew and she said "Are you kidding me? That just wouldn't happen!"

She thought being gay was immoral and wrong and shouldn't be allowed (whatever that means), but as long as "they" stayed out of her town, she wasn't bothered enough to fight against the state referendums that are occurring across the country.

Maybe that gives you some insight into why the market wouldn't take care of things everywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People live in rural North Dakota??
18es38fb1720sjpg.jpg

Yes. They just all look like this. :p

Yank this sucker's license to practice Medicine now, please.

On what grounds? That she declined to take on a new patient? From what I gather, the doctor didn't do anything illegal, or anything that would cause her to be sanctioned by the board... I find her actions distasteful, I wouldn't do what she did, but she seems to be within her rights to refuse a new patient for whatever reason she feels is important.

We can't always try to end someone's career when we disagree with their stance or actions on an issue. If we do that, we open up ourselves to the same thing if the tide turns and we find ourselves with unpopular thoughts and beliefs.

Refusing to treat a child simply because the doctor doesn't like the fact that the parents are gay?

That crosses a line for me. It's not the same as in a real case where a fertility doctor refused to treat a lesbian who wanted to get pregnant.

On what grounds? That she declined to take on a new patient? From what I gather, the doctor didn't do anything illegal, or anything that would cause her to be sanctioned by the board... I find her actions distasteful, I wouldn't do what she did, but she seems to be within her rights to refuse a new patient for whatever reason she feels is important.

We can't always try to end someone's career when we disagree with their stance or actions on an issue. If we do that, we open up ourselves to the same thing if the tide turns and we find ourselves with unpopular thoughts and beliefs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Refusing to treat a child simply because the doctor doesn't like the fact that the parents are gay?

That crosses a line for me. It's not the same as in a real case where a fertility doctor refused to treat a lesbian who wanted to get pregnant.

It was certainly not something I agree with. But I don't know if I can say it crosses a line. The pediatrician obviously has personal convictions that create bias for her; I think she was genuinely trying to be sincere in recognizing that and placing the baby and its family in a position where her personal opinions wouldn't compromise the relationship between doctor and patient.

So while I disagree with her opinion; I respect her ability to recognize that about herself and own up to it. I truly think she was trying to do right by the patient.

Her main mistake was that this particular bias isn't politically correct. If the baby had anti-vaccination parents, or wanted to treat illnesses with essential oils instead of mainstream drugs, this doctor could have done the exact same thing in refusing to see the baby and nobody would have given it another thought.

The baby would still be in the exact same situation though, just for a different reason.

That's why I think if we're being honest here, people just want to see this doctor ruined for her opinion rather than how she handled the situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Would anyone be offended if the parent refused to have a LGBTQWSRDSKU provider?

Would anyone be offended if the parent refused to have a LGBTQWSRDSKU provider?
I worked as a receptionist for a while and it wasn't uncommon to have patients refuse to see one of the Indian docs and request a white one instead.
I always thought it was funny they complained about the accent, but people never complained about the heavy accent of the eastern European doc we had lol.
It sucks but it is what it is. The customer can pick and choose, I think physicians should be held to a higher standard. Like if you refuse to patronize black businesses that's your right, but it's not ok for a business to refuse a customer because they are black.

I worked as a receptionist for a while and it wasn't uncommon to have patients refuse to see one of the Indian docs and request a white one instead.
I always thought it was funny they complained about the accent, but people never complained about the heavy accent of the eastern European doc we had lol.
It sucks but it is what it is. The customer can pick and choose, I think physicians should be held to a higher standard. Like if you refuse to patronize black businesses that's your right, but it's not ok for a business to refuse a customer because they are black.

Many judge based upon skin color, sexuality, body type, clothes, etc... That doesn't magically stop when people become physicians.

I had a psych patient refuse to talk because of race. Next day she loved me, LOL!

Many judge based upon skin color, sexuality, body type, clothes, etc... That doesn't magically stop when people become physicians.

I had a psych patient refuse to talk because of race. Next day she loved me, LOL!
Judging is different than refusing service. Let's be intellectually honest here.

Judging is different than refusing service. Let's be intellectually honest here.

For the doctor in question, there was no difference. Her judgement got in the way with providing service.

I do wonder (in a very cynical, twisted way) how often this happens and people just go through the emotions of giving service.

For the doctor in question, there was no difference. Her judgement got in the way with providing service.

I do wonder (in a very cynical, twisted way) how often this happens and people just go through the emotions of giving service.

Meh, probably a lot. But I'm also cynical and dead on the inside so take that with a grain of salt

Reactions: 1 users
Meh, probably a lot. But I'm also cynical and dead on the inside so take that with a grain of salt

I'm full of love (on the inside) but recognize that everyone hasn't attained their own state of Jakeliness. :)

you'd let a transvestite check your sack?

you'd let a transvestite check your sack?
What is wrong with you?
1. The proper term is trans
2. I don't have a "sack"
3. I wouldn't have a problem with having a trans physician

Let's get back to the topic on hand please. Please remember that this is a professional forum ... please stick to the topic, try to avoid going off on a tangent, and avoiding insulting other SDN members as well as groups