Osteopathic PM&R Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FitDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a D.O. educated PM&R resident (in an allopathic program), I am planning on sitting for the Osteopathic Board certification in 2013, and wonder who has taken the D.O. (AOBPMR) boards, and are there specific resources out there that would further prepare a candidate to sit for this exam.

I can't think of a reason for anyone to sit for both exams, but if you have done so, your insights would be well-appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a D.O. educated PM&R resident (in an allopathic program), I am planning on sitting for the Osteopathic Board certification in 2013, and wonder who has taken the D.O. (AOBPMR) boards, and are there specific resources out there that would further prepare a candidate to sit for this exam.

I can't think of a reason for anyone to sit for both exams, but if you have done so, your insights would be well-appreciated.

Thanks.

So you're not going to sit for the AAPM&R/allopathic boards?

I'm a resident so I don't know anything about the AOCPMR test.... but I do know that if you are AOA boarded you will need to pay AOA membership dues annually for life to maintain your board certification. The few attendings I know who took both boards have all decided not to maintain their AOA certification due to the yearly dues and bc they felt that there really was not a tangible benefit unless you want to be a program director at an AOA program.

Members don't see this ad :)
It does appear more expensive, but its likely a wash if you hit one conference per year. The ABPMR also requires an annual fee to maintain certification, but its less expensive. No desire to be a PD. Unfortunately, there's very little, if any, governance over the AOA programs.

Still looking for info.

Anyone in a position to answer this post??

I cannot answer your question but would like to ask why you are doing DO board cert? What is the pro/con? I am a DO and looked at this and could not see a reason to do the DO PMR boards.

Is there a benefit at this point with the onerous and expensive testing/MOC to preferentially certify through the osteopathic PM&R board?

Last edited: