Osteopathic: Still haven't submitted ERAS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I have been in a tough situation. I am a DO student who wants to do general surgery but too keep it short, my Step I scores and other matters make my chances of getting into residency very very unlikely. So I haven't submitted my ERAS applications yet for a couple reasons. I don't want to but I know I need a back up, and I know this is horrible to say but I am looking for the least competitive option. So now I have a couple questions.

1) How horrible is it that I haven't sent out my applications yet and when is the latest I should send them?
2) Out of family medicine, internal medicine, and psych, which do you guys think is the least competitive?
(Again I realize this is horrible to ask because I actually respect all fields of medicine but honestly there are competitive and non competitive fields)
3) For FM, IM, and Psych what states or hospitals would you say are the least competitive?
4) Should I bother sending in a surgery LOR for lets say a FM residency? I am saying this because I have been only on surgery rotations so far and when I get to other rotations it will be in sept/oct and later.

Oh, and please be honest but not too harsh with your responses. It may not sound like it in my post but I am going through a really rough time with my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

what are your scores? and what is the awful situation you're in?

what are your scores? and what is the awful situation you're in?
I don't want to sound mean but I'm trying to keep some information personal, and I don't think it should effect a person's ability to help answer my questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of FM, IM, and Psych why not go with something you like?

Out of FM, IM, and Psych why not go with something you like?
Honestly I actually enjoyed FM, IM, and Psych. It's just that I have never had a preference since I already had a desire to go into surgery, but you already sort of know about my situation with surgery. I understand that I have left some information out due to omitting some personal information and to keep the post simple and short. But I would hope that you would help me by answering my questions instead of asking another question. Sorry, I made this post so that I can get some answers and advice, not to be the one answering questions.

good,made this post so that I can get some answers and advice, not to be the one answering questions.
JuZojV

From everything I've researched and talked with people about on and off of sdn, you should submit your application asap. Why haven't you submitted yet? I don't have the best step 1 scores, but even more the reason to submit applications early...programs like to see you're interested.

I think family and psych are the least competitive.

I'm confused because I'm assuming you're a 4th year if you're talking about submitting apps, but then you say you've only done surgery rotations? You didn't do family, so you can submit a family LOR if you apply to family as well?

Honestly I actually enjoyed FM, IM, and Psych. It's just that I have never had a preference since I already had a desire to go into surgery, but you already sort of know about my situation with surgery. I understand that I have left some information out due to omitting some personal information and to keep the post simple and short. But I would hope that you would help me by answering my questions instead of asking another question. Sorry, I made this post so that I can get some answers and advice, not to be the one answering questions.
Well it's hard to give you advice when we know so little about you, what you like (outside of Surgery), whether you have lifestyle concerns, etc. FM, IM, and Psych are all non-competitive except at the very top programs. Hence you're better off picking something you like among those fields.