Osteopathic Student interested in Allopathic match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SebastianB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm browsing through some of these threads and getting some good information. Perhaps I should read further, but I have yet to see my issue addressed. I'm interested in joining a residency with an abundance of opportunities for didactic as well as hands on experience and have researched some great programs, but they are allopathic and I am a third year medical student from an osteopathic school.

I have been getting the impression that the allopathic Otolaryngology world doesn't tend to bend for osteopathic students and I am trying to determine any likelihood of my success in breaking that cycle.

As far as my competitiveness quantitatively;
USMLE Step 1: 255
COMLEX 1: 700
Class Rank 1st and 2nd year: 1/162, 1/155 respectively

I'm planning on taking Step II in June. I realize the 255 is competitive but as an Osteopathic student I feel increasing this would increase my marketability. Unfortunately, I don't have any research under my belt, but I'm hopeful that my personality can help fill in my gaps here.

Any thoughts would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

what are your thoughts about taking a year off to do research? your scores and grades are really great (congrats!). but, as leforte mentioned there's a really unfortunately bias toward DO still. and, having no research at all is going to hurt, no matter what degree you have. i met a number of people this year on interviews who had taken a year for research and it sounds like it's looked upon very favorably. you'll be trying to overcome the degree bias, so i have a strong feeling that doing something like a research year will make programs take a more serious look at you. just a thought. best of luck with everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never mind. Not really worth getting into.

Thank you all for your responses they are much appreciated. My intentions are to get view as many programs before application 'season'. I plan on visiting many Osteopathic programs as I know they have much to offer, unfortunately the majority are in the Northeast but sacrifices are always necessary. In addition, I think visiting one or two allopathic programs in the south won't hurt.

Pier8DeacDoc, I'm not really understanding the reason for posting. If it isn't worth commenting and you aren't going to provide any constructive feedback, then why bother? If you have anything information or advice I would love to hear it.

Thanks again all

I posted something that was a different can of worms. I couldn't figure out how to delete it so I just edited it to tone it down.

If it were me, I'd focus on the NE or MW (? west coast) where DOs are out in practice more often. In the south, they are less common. Unless you have an "in" to a program in the south through family or something.

definitely get face time with the programs especially if you are interested, this is really important.

also, i would suggest if you have a week off from school or something to setup that week of involvement in another program. many programs will not look at you if they haven't experienced you.

good luck!!!

As far as my competitiveness quantitatively;
USMLE Step 1: 255
COMLEX 1: 700
Class Rank 1st and 2nd year: 1/162, 1/155 respectively

Wow--impressive stats... I would think you would do well in either osteopathic or allopathic matches. I understand the allopathic programs favor research more than osteopathic programs. But, hey I'm just a third year student like you, so what do I know...