Osteopathy is new...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yadster101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
I am pretty sure the author doesn't know squat about SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No idea what brainless site admin approved that piece. It's ****e.

Sorry, I didn't read the entire thing but briefly skim through it. What was wrong with it...??

Sorry, I didn't read the entire thing but briefly skim through it. What was wrong with it...??

Briefly reading it, there just seems to be a lot of inaccurate information. Not necessarily putting down the degree, just inaccurate.

1. He says 6400/16500 is better odds than 20000/48000 (all numbers he included in the article), which from a strict even probability assessment is just wrong. Realistically the odds based on the numbers are probably within error of each other. Not to say that an individual with lower stats wouldn't have an easier time getting into a DO school than an MD school, but that has more to do with the differences in the applicant population rather than the straight numbers like he implies.

2. He keeps calling it osteopathy and osteopaths, which quite frankly are outdated and to some degree insulting terms.

3. He's completely wrong about this: "of the seven new medical institutions that have opened or will open up in the next few years, all of them are osteopathic in nature"

4. Also wrong about this if we use his numbers: "Osteopathic schools now matriculate around 22% of American medical school graduates". That said 22% might be the actual number, if we're talking about a class 4 yrs ago.

5. In one spot he says US MD matriculants are 20,000, in another he says 23,000. The former is more accurate.

6. This is just a fallacy: "These newly opened or opening schools will be able to...close the gap between the supply and demand of physicians in this country." But it's one perpetuated by a lot of people. We don't have an issue with the supply of medical graduates applying for residency. There are more than enough applicants to fill every residency more than 1.5 times.

7. "As a matter of fact, last year, nearly three-quarters of osteopathic doctors were 'matched' with a residency, while the same was true for only around half of traditional medical students." What? Actually if we're talking about matching the complete number is actually around 85-90%. Obviously he's talking about matching into specifically an ACGME residency. Also, what does he mean by "traditional medical students"? Based on the numbers, he must mean international medical students, because even if you're talking about all "traditional" medical applicants for residency the stat is still something like 70%.

8. "regular medical school" - seriously?

9. Not really sure we can fault him for this, since it's what COMs advertise themselves, but the holistic philosophy isn't really a difference between MD and DO, its just that it was a primary focus of DOs from the beginning.

Overall just a poorly written article.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Well, he's no more misinformed than the general populace of Ft. Worth, TCU or WBAP AM 820 in Ft. Worth, Tx -- they're touting the new TCU/UNTHSC MD joint venture as "finally" getting a "medical school" into Ft. Worth -- and gosh, golly, Ringo Rangers -- the students are going to train with "nutritionists" and "nursing students" to provide a more "holistic" picture of training ----

So I guess the D.O. degree I earned at TCOM and the $250K of debt really aren't a medical degree, right, numbnuts?

And, since the Texas Osteopathic Medical Association can't seem to figure out why students aren't active in their meetings or continue activity with TOMA after graduating? it's because they allow stuff like this to go unchallenged --- but they have no problem sitting around touting the "osteopathic difference" --- get a clue people....

Reactions: 1 user
Briefly reading it, there just seems to be a lot of inaccurate information. Not necessarily putting down the degree, just inaccurate.

1. He says 6400/16500 is better odds than 20000/48000 (all numbers he included in the article), which from a strict even probability assessment is just wrong. Realistically the odds based on the numbers are probably within error of each other. Not to say that an individual with lower stats wouldn't have an easier time getting into a DO school than an MD school, but that has more to do with the differences in the applicant population rather than the straight numbers like he implies.

2. He keeps calling it osteopathy and osteopaths, which quite frankly are outdated and to some degree insulting terms.

3. He's completely wrong about this: "of the seven new medical institutions that have opened or will open up in the next few years, all of them are osteopathic in nature"

4. Also wrong about this if we use his numbers: "Osteopathic schools now matriculate around 22% of American medical school graduates". That said 22% might be the actual number, if we're talking about a class 4 yrs ago.

5. In one spot he says US MD matriculants are 20,000, in another he says 23,000. The former is more accurate.

6. This is just a fallacy: "These newly opened or opening schools will be able to...close the gap between the supply and demand of physicians in this country." But it's one perpetuated by a lot of people. We don't have an issue with the supply of medical graduates applying for residency. There are more than enough applicants to fill every residency more than 1.5 times.

7. "As a matter of fact, last year, nearly three-quarters of osteopathic doctors were 'matched' with a residency, while the same was true for only around half of traditional medical students." What? Actually if we're talking about matching the complete number is actually around 85-90%. Obviously he's talking about matching into specifically an ACGME residency. Also, what does he mean by "traditional medical students"? Based on the numbers, he must mean international medical students, because even if you're talking about all "traditional" medical applicants for residency the stat is still something like 70%.

8. "regular medical school" - seriously?

9. Not really sure we can fault him for this, since it's what COMs advertise themselves, but the holistic philosophy isn't really a difference between MD and DO, its just that it was a primary focus of DOs from the beginning.

Overall just a purely written article.
I see the terms "osteopath" and "osteopathy" used way too often. Even on the websites of very D.O. friendly residency programs.
Well, he's no more misinformed than the general populace of Ft. Worth, TCU or WBAP AM 820 in Ft. Worth, Tx -- they're touting the new TCU/UNTHSC MD joint venture as "finally" getting a "medical school" into Ft. Worth -- and gosh, golly, Ringo Rangers -- the students are going to train with "nutritionists" and "nursing students" to provide a more "holistic" picture of training ----

So I guess the D.O. degree I earned at TCOM and the $250K of debt really aren't a medical degree, right, numbnuts?

And, since the Texas Osteopathic Medical Association can't seem to figure out why students aren't active in their meetings or continue activity with TOMA after graduating? it's because they allow stuff like this to go unchallenged --- but they have no problem sitting around touting the "osteopathic difference" --- get a clue people....
It boils my blood when I hear stuff that acts like D.O. schools don't exist. Like the "first medical school in Fort Worth" bit that you mention. Especially insulted because, IIRC, TCOM is essentially setting the school up for TCU and how in them "this is how to run a medical school."

Are you counting FMGs? I couldn't care less about whether FMGs get a residency spot. We don't have enough AMGs to fill those spots, and schools like this are helping to close that gap which I think is meaningful.

Are you counting FMGs? I couldn't care less about whether FMGs get a residency spot. We don't have enough AMGs to fill those spots, and schools like this are helping to close that gap which I think is meaningful.

That's all well and good, but that's not what the guy said. He didn't say new DO schools are helping to close the gap between AMGs and IMGs, he said its filling the gap between the supply of physicians in this country and the demand. The bottleneck is residency.

Personally, I don't care if competitive IMGs get residency, but that's not really the point I was making. As of right now the MD and DO expansion is really functioning to eliminate the need for US-IMGs to go abroad for med school in the first place. But again, it does nothing to the supply and demand of physicians in the country, just the makeup of those physicians.

This article is no bueno. I'm going to remove it and have it sent back for a rewrite.

Reactions: 16 users