OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discussion for the new year here!

Members don't see this ad.

First post! Welcome and feel free to ask any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, for the most part.

Since OSU (Oklahoma btw) is a public school funded by the legislator and therefore taxes, the school is limited on the OOS students they can accept. I don't know an exact figure but it changes by +/- 2 students a year depending on the applicants and funding. I would guess around 5-7 OOS are taken, but that is just a guess.

With that said, which is very very true, I almost did not apply to OSU because of the fact I am out of state. I submitted my application there about a month and a half after my other applications because something was gnawing at me telling me I should do it. I did it, and that is where I will be attending next year. If money is not a gigantic issue (and OSU is one of the cheapest applications) I would say go for it, you'll never know if you don't try.

I'm coming here from out of state too. I have heard that public schools are supposed to take about 90% of the class from in state, but I'm not sure if that's right or not. That leaves ten spots at most for out of state students, but its definitely worth applying.

Yup OOS and attending next year too :D, take a look at the stats that OSU posts on their website. I think its like 14% (I assume it varies) from out of state, which in a class of 88 is like 10-12. Definitely worth applying though, if you're granted an interview as an OOS applicant it probably means they are really interested in you so take that as a positive.

The admissions committee told me last year at the interview it is 85% in-state and 15% out-of-state. I'm an in-state starting this august.

GL and keep us updated.

I submitted my AACOMAS last week and got an email this morning saying it was verified. Anyone know when it will be sent to OSU and when secondaries will be sent out? From what I've heard last year secondaries were available in July?

I submitted my AACOMAS last week and got an email this morning saying it was verified. Anyone know when it will be sent to OSU and when secondaries will be sent out? From what I've heard last year secondaries were available in July?

I emailed AACOMAS about this and they told me applications are going to be released on the week on June 21st to the schools you've applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted AACOMAS today! Went to the applicant info session a few weeks back and liked what I saw!

Supplemental application is now online and can be submitted online too! Get to it.

I had a question regarding the secondary application. Is the question, "To what professional schools have you made an application for this year?", asking to what other medical schools have I applied for? What does the school use this info for?

Last edited:
is anyone else having problems with the applicaton? I can't get a picture to upload

is anyone else having problems with the applicaton? I can't get a picture to upload

Yeah, I'm having issues with the picture upload, printing the app, and navigating the site

I had a question regarding the secondary application. Is the question, "To what professional schools have you made an application for this year?", asking to what other medical schools have I applied for? What does the school use this info for?

Yes it means what other medical schools did you apply to... And even dentistry, vet, any kind of professional school for this year. I'm not entirely sure what they use it for, but most schools ask for a list

On the secondary it only allows 4 entries for LOR. Is it possible to have more than that sent and reviewed by the admission committee or will they simply just read the 1st four they receive and discard any extras?

Call them and ask for sure but pretty sure they'll only take a max of 4.

I will be submitting my Aacomas app by the end of next week - with my MCAT score coming in a few weeks later. About how long has it taken everyone to get verified through Aacomas so far?

what are the essay prompts for this school besides where else are you applying?

On the secondary application I checked the DO/MBA box. Does this take me out of the traditional route or is this just another option similar to the bridge app?

what are the essay prompts for this school besides where else are you applying?

You'll have to look at the secondary application to know for sure.

On the secondary application I checked the DO/MBA box. Does this take me out of the traditional route or is this just another option similar to the bridge app?

No, traditional decision are made first which you will be considered for. You may be accepted there first. The dual degree options are interviewed later on and you will retain your traditional acceptance if not taken into the dual. Also, if you aren't accepted in the traditional, you can still be interviewed for dual.

Bridge requires you to be disadvantaged in one way or another and therefore it is different from dual degrees and all.

I will be submitting my Aacomas app by the end of next week - with my MCAT score coming in a few weeks later. About how long has it taken everyone to get verified through Aacomas so far?

I submitted on 6/20 and it took 22 days to get verified and then another 9 days for it be "released" to OSU. However you may experience a longer wait as the # of apps recieved by AACOMAS is increasing significantly. View the AACOMAS Submitted, Verified, Release thread to get a better idea of how long it is taking right now.

Will do. Thanks for directing me to the right place!

Hey guys. I have a question. I got this email today from the school.

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine. We have received your AACOMAS application and have determined that you do not meet the minimum requirements at this time.

Applicants must have at a minimum:

- Overall GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Pre-professional science GPA of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Minimum of 21 TOTAL on the MCAT

Your file will not be reviewed further unless the minimum requirements are met. This is not a formal ‘Rejection Letter’, you may continue your application if you so choose.

Please remember to update AACOMAS with transcripts and/or new MCAT scores. If your file should become qualified, you will receive an email containing a link to the Supplemental Application on our website.

I know it's because I took my MCAT on July 16 and they obviously don't have it yet. Since they stated it wasn't a formal "Rejection Letter" and that "if your file should become qualified" does that mean that if they get my MCAT next month and sees I meet the requirements I can fill out a secondary? I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot because I had my app submitted before my MCAT was released :/

Hey guys. I have a question. I got this email today from the school.

I know it's because I took my MCAT on July 16 and they obviously don't have it yet. Since they stated it wasn't a formal "Rejection Letter" and that "if your file should become qualified" does that mean that if they get my MCAT next month and sees I meet the requirements I can fill out a secondary? I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot because I had my app submitted before my MCAT was released :/
Nope, once they get your MCAT score they will reevaluate and if you meet the minimums, you will get an invitation for a secondary. I received the same e-mail last week, and got the secondary today when they got my scores:thumbup:

Congrats, keep up with the applications. Its a lot of hurry up and wait stuff so don't get discouraged! Keep the questions rolling.

I absolutely can not wait until I am able to apply here! OSU is my dream college (I know my name says MD, long story) I want to apply to D.O. School asap at OSU. My question is will OSU look down upon applicants coming from OU (Oklahoma)? Or should I just apply at OSU from the git go?

DrMom:11413045 said:
There are lots of OSU students who came from OU and vice-versa.
I am just unsure of which university I want to attend. Just didn't know if OSU-COM would favour a current OSU student over an OU student if the apps were close.

I absolutely can not wait until I am able to apply here! OSU is my dream college (I know my name says MD, long story) I want to apply to D.O. School asap at OSU. My question is will OSU look down upon applicants coming from OU (Oklahoma)? Or should I just apply at OSU from the git go?

I am just unsure of which university I want to attend. Just didn't know if OSU-COM would favour a current OSU student over an OU student if the apps were close.

As long as you have a degree from a nationally recognized college, it makes no difference. There are quite a few people in my class from OU and quite a few in the 1st year class too. OU will have no negative effect on you, just keep your act together and grades up and you'll be fine.

I started at OSU-CHS (they don't call it OSU-COM around here much) last week. I was helped extensively by posters at SDN during my application process. I spent much of my time in the non-trad forum, since I am one of the 2 geezers in my class (I'm 48, but there is one older student) Unfortunately, I don't have much time to read SDN, so I will probably just put this thread on my subscribed list and watch this thread only.

I'm not a student ambassador and I won't be following the admissions process much (which I know is your main concern) but if you have any questions about student life or what classes or studying is like at OSU-CHS, I'll give you my perspective.

I can give you my initial impressions. The students here are exceptionally helpful and friendly. There is a student-only website in addition to a facebook group and we have already been exchanging study materials, even though the first class doesn't start till Monday. Each student has a student mentor and many of them are very active in giving you notes from previous years.

But the one thing that most surprised me was the Physician mentor program. We had a dinner Thursday night with a bunch of osteopathic doctors and each of us was assigned a mentor. Our physician mentors are VERY interested in us - in fact they consider this a protege-like relationship. I lucked out and got a really good mentor. His wife has also taken my wife under her wing. She already sent my wife an email telling her about some tickets to an event that she had. Actually, I was jaw-droppingly shocked to discover how supportive they were.

There are some disadvantages to going the DO route. My own daughter used the "regular doctor" phrase to refer to MD's the other day. But one benefit to this route is that from the moment you put on the white coat you have been admitted to a club of people who are determined to advance each others careers. DO's like to help other osteopaths succeed in an allopathic world.

Bump; just wanted to get the thread back up and see how things are going.

Does anyone know when OSU starts looking at applications and when they start sending interview invites?

Does anyone know when OSU starts looking at applications and when they start sending interview invites?

In the past, interviews occurred in October. Acceptance and/or feedback is very fast (within a week). But you don't have to get real in-a-fiz about it. There are lots of spots open clear into February.

One guy in our class got his acceptance on the first day of orientation in August. He had plans to get married (since he didn't think he was going to medical school this year). He got married this last weekend - 6 days before the first anatomy test.

They look at applications as they arrive starting in August; Interview invites typically go out the first week of October +/- a week. First round of interviews tend to be around the 3rd week of October.

CA resident, primaries submitted 6/1, released to schools 6/23, secondary invite 6/30, secondary sent 7/22, phone invite 9/2. seems they are beginning interviews mid september based on the days they offered.

Last edited:
They look at applications as they arrive starting in August; Interview invites typically go out the first week of October +/- a week. First round of interviews tend to be around the 3rd week of October.
Wow, not till October for invites?! I have most of my schools scheduled already and two of them are before the end of this month. I wonder why they wait so long? OSU was one of my top choices when applying, but if I get accepted to another school first, I'm going to accept and pay the acceptance fee. And frankly, knowing I have $1000 tied up in a school is going to go a long way to discouraging me from even considering other schools.

Wow, not till October for invites?! I have most of my schools scheduled already and two of them are before the end of this month. I wonder why they wait so long? OSU was one of my top choices when applying, but if I get accepted to another school first, I'm going to accept and pay the acceptance fee. And frankly, knowing I have $1000 tied up in a school is going to go a long way to discouraging me from even considering other schools.

Continue with OSU anyway. The acceptance deposit is only $100 - and remember that you get your deposit back from the other school if you withdraw before a certain date (like March or June or something like that ).

The school environment here is far, far better than any other school. The class is less than 100, so you know your classmates. The teachers are extremely approachable. You get to be taught by Dr. Meek (histology) and Dr. Goljan - the leaders in their fields. Dr. Goljan is the main author of the pathology section of the DO boards ( and would be the MD boards if he taught in an allopathic school). The admissions office has the most approachable people that I have ever met. The staff know every student by name (they are formally tested to make sure that they recognize each student). The school is the only osteopathic school in Oklahoma, so we are tightly tied in with the state osteopathic association and you are given a connected mentor the first day of school. And, very importantly, the hospital is closely associated with the school and most of your rotation mentors were your upper classmates in previous years.

All around, OSU works harder to make sure that their students succeed than almost any other place that I visited.

I got the phone call Friday for an intervierw here. So excited. I lived in and around Tulsa for a couple of years and can't wait to return for my interview. This is my dream school!

Wow they started real early this time around... Probably has to do with the construction and improvements going on around the school. Congrats on those with an invite.

Does anyone know what the general stats are for the Bridge program for students out of state? My legal residence is Texas, however my undergraduate degree is from the Northeast in Biomedical Engineering. I am a URM and grew up in a town of less then 1080.

Does anyone have the heart to help me out with the secondary application essay? I need some ideas! How does OSU perceive themselves as a DO school? What sets OSU apart from other schools? Why would I want to move from TN to go to OSU? Anyone got some good ideas? Not trying to be a plagiarizer, just wanting some inside information. Thanks for reading!