OSU vs. SUNY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spritzy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Any input is appreciated on this? I am an international student and making a decision is giving me major anxiety.

So far I have:
OSU- cheaper tuition (though not by a lot)
Buffalo is closer to home (not a big factor)
Buffalo has a new pharmacy building, prepares you for compounding section of boards
School ranking- OSU (7), SUNY (17)- not sure if this is a factor??
Cost of living seems the same for both areas
Salary of pharmacists seems higher in Columbus vs Buffalo (indeed.com- not sure of reliability)
Impressions- really liked the campus and people at both places
If given the choice I would rather work in NY than OH- would employers favor graduates of their own state?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think US news ranking is highly reliable because of their methodology of ranking the school.

"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys." - <http://www.usnews.com/education/bes.../10/methodology-best-health-schools-rankings>

I think it is just a good ballpark to know where your school is ranked with other schools. If you want to work in New York, I think going to buffalo will be more favor to you. (because you are more likely to build connections in new york state overall)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that if you want to work in NY after you graduate, it's best if you go to at NY school!

I know that NYS has a compounding section of the licensing exam that isn't taught at other schools, but would this be the big advantage? Hiring advantage? Placement connections?