OSU....what are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbrightsmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
App already in...getting nervous...

GPA over all 3.86, science 3.82
Ohio resident
~170hrs shadowed
~300 research hours
~800 community service hrs

DAT...not so hot
AA 18
PAT 20

emailed admissions...told me I should be fine...but still want to retake...

what do you think??:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

App already in...getting nervous...

GPA over all 3.86, science 3.82
Ohio resident
~170hrs shadowed
~300 research hours
~800 community service hrs

DAT...not so hot
AA 18
PAT 20

what do you think??:scared:

Apply this cycle and see what happens. Don't retake for this cycle though, if I were you.

If that's what the admissions told you, why r u perplexed as to if you should retake or not. Don't retake. They said your fine. Those DAT scores combined with your gpa is pretty solid.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to sorta hijack, but what exactly does undergrad level "research" entail?

Ohio State is high on my radar too
my biggest downfall is the out of state situation :(

sorry to sorta hijack, but what exactly does undergrad level "research" entail?

Part of a multi professor, multi university research team in a molecular study on a protein in several species of whales and arctic mammals. Waiting to here if we received another grant…but my undergrad honors research project for my university is doing RACE and sequencing from multi-tissue RNA to cDNA extractions I have done. Pretty prestigious, have received payment from one grant last summer for all the work I have done in the lab. Will def get published this year or next. :)

After the first year, you can become a state resident and pay the instate tuition price.

He might be talking about how it is harder to get in being an out of state applicant.

But the person who posted the thread, you should be fine

He might be talking about how it is harder to get in being an out of state applicant.

yes that is correct, we actually have a house in Columbus so it would work out huge for us if we got in.

Thanks guys! Feeling a little more positive:)

Part of a multi professor, multi university research team in a molecular study on a protein in several species of whales and arctic mammals. Waiting to here if we received another grant…but my undergrad honors research project for my university is doing RACE and sequencing from multi-tissue RNA to cDNA extractions I have done. Pretty prestigious, have received payment from one grant last summer for all the work I have done in the lab. Will def get published this year or next. :)

so stuff like the experiments we read about in the textbooks. also is undergrad research typically like ^^^? cause im not in honors or anything. just average IQ here.

its hard for me to believe u were so worried haha i think you are a shoe in! good luck with your interviews as this sounds like it is the make or break point for qualified applicants

so stuff like the experiments we read about in the textbooks. also is undergrad research typically like ^^^? cause im not in honors or anything. just average IQ here.

Any sort of lab work is considered undergraduate research...from cleaning lab glass wear to running your own reactions. If you haven't started, you should email a bio or chem professor at your school and see if you could volunteer. Make sure your interested in there project though. I once volunteered in a lab whose project on protists led me to have to sit for hours counting bacterium...pretty awful, even with the ipod for company

Unless this cycle gets unimaginably competitive, you should expect an OSU interview with that GPA and experience. DAT isn't low enough to keep you out of the game.

GO BUCKS!! :):D:xf:

As someone whose been in your exact position last year (I am a proud alum of THE Ohio State University). You should probably get an interview. They look upon OSU students favorably. If you have a decent GPA and DAT they'll give you an interview, but that's where you gotta prove you belong.

As someone whose been in your exact position last year (I am a proud alum of THE Ohio State University). You should probably get an interview. They look upon OSU students favorably. If you have a decent GPA and DAT they'll give you an interview, but that's where you gotta prove you belong.

Thats what I wanna hear