OSUCOM Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Athena918 said:
wah-wah. :) Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Anyone have a new topic they'd like to discuss? ...

Yeah. Does anyone know anything about the pre-Histo class? Length, hrs/day, worthwhile, . . . ?

Members don't see this ad.

OrthoFixation said:
Yeah. Does anyone know anything about the pre-Histo class? Length, hrs/day, worthwhile, . . . ?

Its new to MS1's. Anything that would give a histo preview i would think to be worthwhile. It is the most obscure class.. Biochem, Anatomy and OMM can all be taught by just reading the notes.. Histo is totally different from any class that I had ever taken. I woudl highly recommend a preview to all, especially to those who have not had histo...

BDress, thanks for the info and opinion. I didn't realize this was a new program.

Members don't see this ad :)
OrthoFixation said:

pre-histo?

never heard of it---sounds like it's a waste of time

We got a letter about it in snail mail. It's an actual 3 hour credit course...tests and all.

Wendy11 said:
We got a letter about it in snail mail. It's an actual 3 hour credit course...tests and all.

Wendy, you're an early riser. 4:30 am post :eek:

I didn't get the snail letter. Please tell us more. How many weeks, any cost, hours/day, etc.

If it is a credit course, does that exempt you from any class time during the regular term? That could be helpful. Histo is shown as a 4 hour class on p. 28 of the 04-05 Catalog.

DrMom said:
Personally, I'd not take it. Histo is a tough class, but I don't think its worth giving up your summer.

Thanks for the input. I would consider giving up two weeks, but if it's four weeks . . . likely not.

I'll have about 6 weeks from end of work to start of school. That time off is a real luxury for those of us working full time. I plan on enjoying the break, get my new household in order, water ski, maybe some golf, and just relax.

Alright, here is what I got. It is an on-line course starting with an introduction on July 7th. Lecture and lab presentations start July 11th. The course ends August 5th. You will be expected to participate each day by viewing materials on-line. There will be at least 4 major exams given on Fridays and the last Thursday. Students will be required to participate in discussion groups by virtual chat, discussion board, and e-mail. The cost will be $500-600 for three hours credit with the textbook as an additional cost. The course will appear as pass/fail on your transcript. Registration for the course begins sometime in June. Thats about everything I think.

Oh, and I was doing an all-night cancer walk that got rained out...hence the 4:30 post!

Hope this helps!

Oh, and assignments, quizzes, and discussions are all part of the course too!

Thanks Wendy. That's exactly the information I needed. Sounds interesting.

Kudos to you on the breast cancer walk. Sorry you got rained out.

Alright, so who all is planning on showing up Saturday?

nope. I'll probably just let the anticipation build and meet everyone in August...geez, only two months away now...

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be there.
Yeah, can you believe it's only 2 months!? Hopefully everyone is soaking up the sun and the beaches.... it will be lots of 3 walled cubby holes in the library once we get to crackin'. Enjoy summer!!!!

Make sure you guys are ready for the anatomy test that they spring on ya on the third day of the semester. The good news is it's a written test only. No practical, since you guys probably wouldn't have done much dissection by day 3, anyway.

Begin with the back muscles and work your way to the neck anatomy. I would recommend studying your Netter's Anatomy for the last 3 weeks of summer before school starts. That test is a monster! :scared:

Fenrezz said:
Make sure you guys are ready for the anatomy test that they spring on ya on the third day of the semester. The good news is it's a written test only. No practical, since you guys probably wouldn't have done much dissection by day 3, anyway.

Begin with the back muscles and work your way to the neck anatomy. I would recommend studying your Netter's Anatomy for the last 3 weeks of summer before school starts. That test is a monster! :scared:

That test sucked. It's suprising how much anatomy lecture material builds up when you have it every day.

We can't thank you enough for the heads up... I will take your advice and study ahead.. Any other helpful hints in advance is much appreciated!!

Fenrezz said:

Did they change the way they test? Cuz I dont remember a test without a practical.

Wendy11 said:
Alright, so who all is planning on showing up Saturday?

I won't be able to make it. Moving in ten days, closing on house in six days, last day of work Monday, . . . too much, too soon.

On top of that, some ***** made a sudden left at an intersection in front of me and I T-boned his Honda Civic. His fault. My car is possibly totaled. Plano cop on scene "What an idiot this guy is . . . not much question about what happened here." No injuries, but my family is very sore. Imagine that . . he was talking on the phone while turning in front of me!

Really bad timing :thumbdown:

Moral of the story: Big sedan = no serious injury

Wow, an anatomy test on the third day :eek:

If you're not going Saturday, make sure your white coat is ordered. June 18 is the last date. It felt good when the lady at the bookstore found my name on the list. Phew, it is real and not a mistake after all.

oh crap, are you being serious about a test on the third day? I took it as a joke!
while we're on the subject of anatomy, I checked out this book called something like "Anatomy Lessons from the Artistic Masters," and have been messing around with anatomical sketches, trying to make my life drawings as realistic/detailed as those of the Italian masters (ha). Granted this particular book is geared more towards artists wanting to learn anatomy as opposed to having a medical slant...but it made me wonder: how often do you all use sketching as a study tool in anatomy? What have been your best study tools and techniques?

Oh, and as for being prepared, start thinking of an interesting fact about yourself that you'd like to say into the microphone on saturday. hehe :D

I have a lot of friends that are first years and none of them seem to remember a test on the 3rd day!

Wendy11 said:
I have a lot of friends that are first years and none of them seem to remember a test on the 3rd day!

Dana told me they cancelled it last year because it wasn't ready in time. Something about the anatomy professor being at a conference late in the summer or something like that.

They certainly lucked out!

Athena918 said:
oh crap, are you being serious about a test on the third day? I took it as a joke!
while we're on the subject of anatomy, I checked out this book called something like "Anatomy Lessons from the Artistic Masters," and have been messing around with anatomical sketches, trying to make my life drawings as realistic/detailed as those of the Italian masters (ha). Granted this particular book is geared more towards artists wanting to learn anatomy as opposed to having a medical slant...but it made me wonder: how often do you all use sketching as a study tool in anatomy? What have been your best study tools and techniques?

Yeah, I was totally kidding about the exam thing. I have no idea if they're doing that this year. (That sucks for Fenrezz's class though.) I hope I didn't stress anyone out too bad. Athena, for me, it was important to be able to sketch out arteries (especially in the arms and legs) and nerves (especially brachial plexus). This helps in memorization and during crunch time when your taking the lab practical. Netter's flashcards are good.

Well....does anyone have anything interesting to report from Admitted Student Day? :oops:

take Fenrezz's posts with a wink :)

That said, the first anatomy & histology tests can really catch you off guard, so be well-prepared when the time comes. :thumbup:

Sorry, no interesting events at admitted day. I met someone who had gone to the 1st one and she said it was pretty much the same. There only seemed to be maybe around 5 students interested in the Pre-Histo course, as publicly polled by Dana. Otherwise, just don't forget to turn in required paperwork by July 15th.
Oh yeah, but here's something that I would like to hear opinions on if you're up for it.... apparently OSU wants us to be "top of the line" in our medical equipment. For example.. pan optic ophthalmoscope is required instead of the standard type.. which means spending $600-700 on one versus $300-400. How often would we really make an official, specific diagnosis on a patient's eye without referring them to an ophthalmologist first?? However, I do understand the desire to produce absolutely the best PCP's possible. Any comments?

I don't think I've used my pan-optic since our clinical skills class, unfortunately. I use the vast majority of the other equipment we had to order pretty regularly (although mostly when some friend calls up and asks me to check their kiddo's ears ;))

All that said, I don't know that there's any way for you to get around buying all of the equipment. Wait until your class orders b/c you'll get a good discount. Don't even bother getting a stethoscope until then.

DrMom said:
I don't think I've used my pan-optic since our clinical skills class, unfortunately. I use the vast majority of the other equipment we had to order pretty regularly (although mostly when some friend calls up and asks me to check their kiddo's ears ;))

All that said, I don't know that there's any way for you to get around buying all of the equipment. Wait until your class orders b/c you'll get a good discount. Don't even bother getting a stethoscope until then.

The only equipment I use from the stuff I bought is the stethoscope and pen light. Anything else you would need is usually provided in a clinical setting. But it's true, you can't get around getting all that stuff because you'll need it in clinical skills class (and for the occasional health fair, if you volunteer).

Bit of advice though. In my opinion, when they talk about length of stethoscopes and sound quality, I would highly advise getting the longer one. You'll appreciate it a lot more on internal medicine. I had the shorter one, got frustrated with it, and ended up buying the longer. Sound quality was no different to my ears.

If you have to buy an ophthalmoscope, the pan-optic is the way to go; its head and shoulders better than the coaxial (if that's what it's called). You can see so much more with the pan optics. You'll probably rarely have opportunity to use it after second year, but like drmommy says, always nice to have around when someone is asking for medical advice, especially if they just cooked dinner, because then they will feel obligated to give you free food. :thumbup:

Nothing too exciting at admitted student day! I have however decided that everybody in our class is married or is getting married very soon!!

Wendy11 said:
Nothing too exciting at admitted student day! I have however decided that everybody in our class is married or is getting married very soon!!

seems nothing has changed. welcome to oklahoma and osu-com. :rolleyes:

Hello Dr. Dad--I think you may have been one of the students to come in and say hi to my group on interview day...
Anyway, I went out to dinner with a group of people on Saturday. I figured out that the lady sitting across from me was leading the sexual harassment portion of orientation week. What other topics did you discuss during orientation? Were the days 9-5?

The orientation week wasn't all 9-5...at least not back when I went through it. First couple of days were longer & the end of the week was BLS training.
There are usually free dinners each night that you can choose to go to, also.

Is anyone doing anything festive for the 4th?

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for health insurance in Oklahoma for myself and my wife. We are coming from California and dont know all that much about the local providers. From what I have read on this forum, SOMA insurance is something to be avoided. There is a good chance we will have a kid or 2 over the next 4 years and I want to make sure we have good coverage, but not too expensive either. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Athena918 said:
Is anyone doing anything festive for the 4th?

No plans, but as a new Tulsa resident . . I'm interested . . .
Suggestions?

I finally got broadband today, Yaaaah

ah, congrats on settling in! The last couple years I've watched the fireworks on the river, it's a pretty nice display. They close down part of riverside, and I usually set up camp around the pedestrian bridge, but the view actually might be better from OSU's side of the river. They usually start around 9:00...

Hey am I supposed to be locating a microscope by now?

the second years were asked to indicate if we would be selling our scopes to the incoming first years.... so that is still in process and should come with mentor info

i went with blue cross and blue shield, from what i looked at they were the choice for me. you can go to www.bcbsok.com and check it out.

Thanks drjj, I'll check it out.

If you find out that your 2nd year isn't selling their microscope, consider renting one-unless you really really want to own one. I freaked last year and bought a brand new one because I forgot about the renting option. Also, it doesn't take very long to get one so don't worry too much about time.

thanks for the info. Do you remember when you got your mentor info?
Also, do any of you have gym memberships? I wish we had somewhere to work out (other than pingpong! haha) on or near campus. I know there is a gym at the downtown Tulsa Community College, I wonder if OSU-Tulsa has one? Maybe I'll just bring some running shoes and huff down riverside...

Athena918 said:
Also, do any of you have gym memberships? I wish we had somewhere to work out (other than pingpong! haha) on or near campus. I know there is a gym at the downtown Tulsa Community College, I wonder if OSU-Tulsa has one? Maybe I'll just bring some running shoes and huff down riverside...

The OSU-Tulsa campus has a decent gym that I plan on using, not too extensive, but a good variety. I saw a Bally's in town, but it was a little far away.

I think it was August when we got any mentor info. It seemed like it was really close to orientation week.

Some people joined the YMCA...I think I heard that St. John's has a workout facility that is nice but may be expensive. For those in South Tulsa/Jenks, there is The Grand Health Club, which is nice and had a student special last year (~$30.00/month). I think Westport has a workout facility too. I believe OSU-Tulsa's gym is free to us since the health sciences center doesn't have one.

Athena918 said:

OSU-Tulsa has one.

You can use equipment/facilities at any OSU campus for free, as you are a student.

Alright, I'm a pretty patient, "go with the flow" person. However there is this lady I work with who is always passive-aggressively implying that I'm not going to quite be a real doctor. It's getting so old! Some scenarios off the top of my head: "You're going back and getting your MD after your DO right?" "Back when I was growing up, we used to call that the cat and dog hospital (referring to Tulsa regional)," "my son's pediatrician says you better be sure and 'go MD' when youre picking your specialty. He tells me a couple of DOs he's met can't even look in a kid's ear and tell if it's infected."
All this coming from one lady! It drives me nuts. Sometimes I bluntly tell her that she's been misinformed, sometimes I just let it wash over me, sometimes I try and explain similarities/differences but its like shes not even listening!

Have you guys had experiences like this? Have any snappy (but subtle...she's above me in the company) comebacks/statistics/ways of dealing?

There will always be trolls that live in the world...

sorry it is that way!

later

Athena918 said:
Alright, I'm a pretty patient, "go with the flow" person. However there is this lady I work with who is always passive-aggressively implying that I'm not going to quite be a real doctor. It's getting so old! Some scenarios off the top of my head: "You're going back and getting your MD after your DO right?" "Back when I was growing up, we used to call that the cat and dog hospital (referring to Tulsa regional)," "my son's pediatrician says you better be sure and 'go MD' when youre picking your specialty. He tells me a couple of DOs he's met can't even look in a kid's ear and tell if it's infected."
All this coming from one lady! It drives me nuts. Sometimes I bluntly tell her that she's been misinformed, sometimes I just let it wash over me, sometimes I try and explain similarities/differences but its like shes not even listening!

Have you guys had experiences like this? Have any snappy (but subtle...she's above me in the company) comebacks/statistics/ways of dealing?