General Admissions & OTCAS OT admission stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTporfavor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm fairly new to this but see how supportive everyone is here so I thought I'd give it a shot.
I'm an undergrad student right now working hard towards getting into OT school. I'll be applying after I graduate in a year. I guess I'm freaking out a bit since I've read some people that have better grades than I do reapplying or getting rejected more than once. I was feeling confident that my strengths in other areas would make up for my simply ok gpa, but I'm starting to worry. Any advice? Thoughts? Stories?
My stats are: 3.2 gpa
Mostly Bs with a few As on prerequisites(still have to take a few more)
job: Personal care attendant for someone with a disability
Member of social justice club related to disability at my school
80 hours of observation at 2 diff locations and plan on doing more
Research assistant for an OT professor at a high ranked OT school.
I'd love to hear from you all about yourselves!!

Members don't see this ad.

Im surely not new here, but I'll share my stat!! This summer will be my 3rd time applying. I observed 2 clinical sites. 1 for a year and the other for only a few days. Planning to take my GRE in June. I love OT and I not giving up. If you're really passionate about OT, keep trying!! I have high hopes this coming cycle since I retook some of my classes for A's! I'm also applying to 8 schools this coming cycle. 3 in-state (Texas) and 5 out of state!

Pre-reqs GPA:3.46-3.91
Overall GPA: 3.3-3.4
Last 60hrs: 3.5

A recommendation I would offer is, since your GPA is on the lower-to-average range, really focus on other aspects such as GRE scores, build diversity within your OT shadowing, strengthen your involvement in the community, etc and convey to programs that those are your strengths. GPA isn't a for-sure deal breaker- programs want to know that you can fit the bill as a people's person. I can assure you that OT programs would rather have an awesome, down-to-earth person with a 3.2 GPA over an over-intellectualized brainiac with a 4.0 who can't related to their patients.

For me personally, apart from GPA and GRE scores, when I applied I had 350+ total observation hours spread evenly across geriatric home health, geriatric sub-acute, and pediatric sensory integration, I served as a camp counselor for a summer, was involved in foreign mission work (big talking point during my interview), was a member of a community service based honor society on campus, was a volunteer youth leader at my church and so forth. I built strong relationships with the OTs I shadowed and professors and based on that they were able to write stellar letters of recommendation for when I applied.

I hope this helps in some way, if you have any additional questions don't hesitate to ask!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much! That was very helpful and makes me feel a bit more confident in building up strengths in other aspects :)

Hey everyone!

I'm fairly new to this but see how supportive everyone is here so I thought I'd give it a shot.
I'm an undergrad student right now working hard towards getting into OT school. I'll be applying after I graduate in a year. I guess I'm freaking out a bit since I've read some people that have better grades than I do reapplying or getting rejected more than once. I was feeling confident that my strengths in other areas would make up for my simply ok gpa, but I'm starting to worry. Any advice? Thoughts? Stories?

Don't always compare yourself to others. I've seen people on here that on paper have waaay better stats than me, but some didn't get accepted this cycle and I did. So stats are important (i.e. GPA and GRE etc etc) BUT realize that you aren't seeing their personal statements, you aren't seeing their letter of recommendations and you aren't seeing how they did in their interviews. All these things go into whether people get accepted. There are quite a few people that I've run into on here that was accepted into OT school with low GPAs... so stop comparing and make your application the best it can be!! And apply to schools that have interview they can reaaaaaally help!!!

A lot of schools will post their mean GPAs, which is usually around 3.5. When talking to some of the schools, they have told me the distribution varies from 3.0 to 4.0. Although GPA is very important, I believe someone who is well rounded will have a great chance of getting accepted.

I agree with everyone here. I didn't have the best GPA, but I certainly made up for it where possible. I had great LORs, made a strong personal statement with a clear understanding of OT and why I chose OT, and also had varying volunteer experience, both OT and non OT. Just think about the people who are reviewing your application, what about your application stands out among everyone else's. Good luck and if you ever want to chat about the process feel free to message me! I went through it- it's exhausting but worth it!!

@OTporfavor - Depending which prerequisites you have in progress... if it's something like general psych, I'd say apply ASAP and write a really good statement. You might want one or two more shadow settings, but possibly not at the expense of applying early... just schedule them and put them in the "planned" section of OTCAS if you cannot complete them soon. A couple of the places I applied to said their classes were basically full by December, so make sure time is on your side.

However, if you're not done with A&P or something like that... I dunno, your experience is really great, but I personally would feel like it was kind of risky to have major prereqs pending plus a meh GPA. Is your GRE pretty good?

Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Out-patient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, which is basically OT while on a horse)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired. :(

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!

Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Out-patient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, which is basically OT while on a horse)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired. :(

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!
You'll be fine, but it would help if you stated what programs you were interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine, but it would help if you stated what programs you were interested in.
Just looking at West Coast University in LA. I'm not bothering with schools that require the GRE because I'm a terrible standardized test-taker.

Just looking at West Coast University in LA. I'm not bothering with schools that require the GRE because I'm a terrible standardized test-taker.
Do you want to stay on the west coast? The east coast seems to have more schools that don't require the GRE.

Do you want to stay on the west coast? The east coast seems to have more schools that don't require the GRE.

If prefer the west coast just because I have a place here and I'm comfortable. I'm also not built for handling harsh winter snow haha. But if i got into a school on the east coast I'd take it in a heartbeat. But the reason why I chose West Coast as my top school is because of the experience I have had at information sessions and talking to people in the program when they're not trying to "promote" it. The faculty are distinguished in the OT community, they are energized, motivated, and keeping up with the latest news and technology. The students are high-spirited and intrigued about the future of the profession and there's a sense of unity like "we're in this together" and I love all that!

If prefer the west coast just because I have a place here and I'm comfortable. I'm also not built for handling harsh winter snow haha. But if i got into a school on the east coast I'd take it in a heartbeat. But the reason why I chose West Coast as my top school is because of the experience I have had at information sessions and talking to people in the program when they're not trying to "promote" it. The faculty are distinguished in the OT community, they are energized, motivated, and keeping up with the latest news and technology. The students are high-spirited and intrigued about the future of the profession and there's a sense of unity like "we're in this together" and I love all that!

I was in a similar position recently. I was born and raised in Southern California and was leaning to just applying to places out here. I got into a number of schools and decided to go to Sacred Heart in CT. I fell in love with the school and the interview made me feel at ease. I am looking forward to moving next month. :)

I was in a similar position recently. I was born and raised in Southern California and was leaning to just applying to places out here. I got into a number of schools and decided to go to Sacred Heart in CT. I fell in love with the school and the interview made me feel at ease. I am looking forward to moving next month. :)
That's awesome! I was also considering Sacred Heart along with D'youville in New York. If you don't mind me asking, was this your first time applying to OT schools? And what are your stats?

That's awesome! I was also considering Sacred Heart along with D'youville in New York. If you don't mind me asking, was this your first time applying to OT schools? And what are your stats?

It was actually my second time applying. Compared to the first time I applied, I handled things much better. I started a blog to give tips and my own insight on the OT process and hope to keep up writing once I start school. Check it out here :)

As for my stats:
University: CSUN
Major:
Kinesiology (BS) focus on Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.31 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.5-3.7 (depending on school)
GRE: V: 152 Q: 154 A: 3.5

Observation: 1000+ hours Outpatient Ortho Clinic
100+ hours Hand Therapy
20+ hours school-based
40 hours Outpatient Neuro Clinic
20 hours hippotherapy

Applied: TWU, TTUHSC, Pacific University, Creighton University, Touro University, Sacred Heart University, Belmont University, University of Pittsburgh, Midwestern (AZ), AT Still, USC

Interviews: Sacred Heart University (2/4), Creighton University (2/12), Touro (2/18)

Rejections: TWU, TTUHSC, Pacific University, Belmont University, University of Pittsburgh, USC, Midwestern, AT Still

Waitlist: Indiana State University (3/22)

Acceptances: Sacred Heart University (2/10), Creighton (3/24), Touro University (4/7), Indiana State University (4/15)

Attending: Sacred Heart University

It was actually my second time applying. Compared to the first time I applied, I handled things much better. I started a blog to give tips and my own insight on the OT process and hope to keep up writing once I start school. Check it out here :)

As for my stats:
University: CSUN
Major:
Kinesiology (BS) focus on Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.31 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.5-3.7 (depending on school)
GRE: V: 152 Q: 154 A: 3.5

Observation: 1000+ hours Outpatient Ortho Clinic
100+ hours Hand Therapy
20+ hours school-based
40 hours Outpatient Neuro Clinic
20 hours hippotherapy

Applied: TWU, TTUHSC, Pacific University, Creighton University, Touro University, Sacred Heart University, Belmont University, University of Pittsburgh, Midwestern (AZ), AT Still, USC

Interviews: Sacred Heart University (2/4), Creighton University (2/12), Touro (2/18)

Rejections: TWU, TTUHSC, Pacific University, Belmont University, University of Pittsburgh, USC, Midwestern, AT Still

Waitlist: Indiana State University (3/22)

Acceptances: Sacred Heart University (2/10), Creighton (3/24), Touro University (4/7), Indiana State University (4/15)

Attending: Sacred Heart University

FYI, love the blog. The application process can be disheartening at times. I love this forum for the fact that someone else out there gets where I'm coming from. It gives me hope that I will eventually get to where I want to be. Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

If you're now considering the Northeast, I'd say add Bay Path to the list. Their app might even be free, but I'm not sure. I have a friend now going into her second year there, and she likes it. :) It's in a somewhat small town but close to Northampton, which is one of the coolest large towns because of all of the liberal arts colleges near by! Also, having four seasons is pretty great, especially fall. You'll probably be fine getting into West Coast, but it's nice here as well. :)

I know this is from a while ago, but I am interested in applying to West Coast University and am in the Same boat as you with not wanting to take the GRE. I was wondering if you could give me some advice since I have read that you have applied multiple times.
I know that schools usually like when your OT shadowing and experience is within 2 years. Since you had to apply multiple times, did you have to start your volunteer experience all over once you got rejected? Or could you continue to use it for the next application period?

I was also wondering how you kept in contact with the people / OTs who gave you Letters of recommendations. I am afraid that if I don't get in, I will have to start all over again with my letters of Recs.. I also feel bad that they would have to write another one all over again since OTCAS dumps them all. Did they have to change it for you so it looked like you have been active in the OT community?

any feedback would be awesome.

Hey everyone!

Get a letter of rec. from that OT professor. I had at 3.2 GPA and got interviewed at 4/6 schools, waitlisted at 3, accepted to 1 out of the gate and got off the waitlist at another. You'll be fine! Strong personal statement will make all the difference and make sure your GRE meets each school minimum.