OT: Anything goes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Momus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

I am buying Oneplus one phone. It's 2.5 Ghz Quadcore, 3 GB Ram, 5'5 inch display, 13 megapixel camera, 5 megapixel front facing cam. It's practically a beast phone in 2014 off contract price at $299 for 16 gb and $350 for 64 gb model (so damn cheap). Can't beat the price for the specs you get while other high end model costs 750 off contract. Window to order opens tomorrow from 8-9 am PST.

Time too retire my $25/mo plan 3G speed only and my $30 phone lol. I am switching to Cricket (AT&T) for $35/mo unlimited talk, text, and 1GB data 4G LTE (then it get throtlled to crap speed).

If you have an invite, let me know LOL.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1398779/ said:
OnePlus has been using the limited invite system to sell its phones. Now they will take pre-orders from anyone just for One Hour on Oct. 27th (11AM - 12PM EST or 8AM - 9AM PST).

Link: http://preorder.oneplus.net/. You have to create an account first. Top-notch specifications and killer prices. Excellent reviews on different sites.

Added by author:

Okay. It seems that some people haven't heard about the company and phone yet, because it's a very new company. They use a controversial marketing approach - the invite system - mainly because their production can't keep up. It took me a few months to get a invite and I just bought mine (64GB) recently. I have been very impressed. $299 for 16 GB & $349 for 64GB. Please note these areunlocked phones that can be used on AT&T and T-Mobile networks. Now, anyone can place an order within an hour on Oct. 27th without an invite. I thought it's a pretty good deal, because that's half the price of other comparable phones.

You can check their phones' specs at this link: http://oneplus.net/one#specifications

I still have an unlimited data contract grandfathered in from a couple of years ago. No way am I giving that up lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I still have an unlimited data contract grandfathered in from a couple of years ago. No way am I giving that up lol

Some people over estimate how much data they are actually using, just like they over estimate how much mins they are actually using and thus leads to overpaying their service every month. Unless you are a heavy youtuber or pandora freaks, most people will not use 1-2 GB/month.

A lot of people paying 90-100/mo for services they don't even use or just to get subsidised Iphone bound for 2 years contract for thousands of dollars (I call it ripoff phone - $220 device to make sold for $750 off contract).

Prepaid plan, ting, virgin mobile, cricket, straight talk, republic wireless give you the best bang off your buck if you don't have a huge family to share the cost of cell phone bills.

I am leaving virgin mobile to cricket so I can use oneplus one phone. Can't wait until I get my hands on a 5'5 inch beastly specs phone for a bargain.

With electronics and computers, I don't even go for the latest and greatest with top-end specs like this phone, unless there is a feature that I really must have right now. I didn't see any unique features of this OnePlus One phone besides the top-end specs right?

I think it is better to buy something with mid-range specs, usually for 10-50% of the price of the latest and greatest. Then, because electronics advance so quickly, you can use the money you saved to upgrade to another mid-range device 6 months-1 year down the road if you want. This future mid-range device will probably have the same or even better specs than the latest and greatest you buy today. Or, you can be really frugal like me and just milk the original phone for 3+ years.

Ok ok, I did just upgrade my phone to the LG Volt for $75. Decent specs, Android 4.4.2 KitKat, 4.7" screen, 540x960px, 8mp rear, 1.3mp front camera, quad-core 1.2GHz, 8GB + microSDHC card slot. Has a particularly beefy 3000 mAh battery so I've been going 72 hours between charges.

It's on Boost (uses Sprint network) pre-paid $35/mo unlimited talk, txt, 1GB data at 4G LTE speeds. The thing I just found out is with pre-paid, it's just the monthly fee + sales tax, so $37.10/mo. On my old Sprint grandfathered SERO plan, the $40/mo became $48 after all the fees and taxes they charged.

The 1GB data is fine for me because I use wifi most of the time. Plus in my area, Comcast Xfinity is starting to roll out public access to people's Xfinity wireless routers in their homes, so they are popping up everywhere, along with the wifi hotspots in most businesses. You do need to already have an Xfinity account to login though.

Site crash... so no oneplus one for me. Maybe I'll wait until oneplus two, will definitely beat nexus 6 and note 4, at much cheaper price.

Data isn't an issue for me. I use about 7 GB every billing period.

I got the phone at 10:51 am. The site crashed on 8:00 am - @_@ figures... waited almost 3 hrs just buy one... at least it's a cheap better version of galaxy S5, I would take AT least 1.5 years for an S5 to go to $350 range. It would've sucked so bad if I didn't get it since I already ordered screen protector + case. Can't wait lol.

I start to hate my phone coz opening apps has unbearable delay and typing on a browser is super slow.

I use a lot of data. I need to go back to an Android phone that allows me to tether it to a laptop.

LOL @Apple phones 8 megapixel camera, 1 gb ram, dual core processor? = welcome to 2012 - overpriced rip off phone >_>;

p8sa11h.jpg

WvIcuvjh.jpg

10608261_10152731667369868_3137794737157763340_o.jpg

Last edited:
I use a lot of data. I need to go back to an Android phone that allows me to tether it to a laptop.

For a while on Sprint unlimited data, I was averaging 350gb per month (tethering) Someday I think most plans will go back to unlimited , just a matter of time.

I also think there's a definite generational factor involved in usage. Also of course depends on speed available to you.

Atm paying $150/month for 2 new feature phones w insurance and 10gb data ..I know I'm not getting completely ripped off, but am not super happy about it either compared to my old plan which was $190 for the same deal but unlimited data.

The only reason why I like the iPhone (still have the 5), is because of iMessage. Also, they should make read receipts mandatory instead of giving people the option of turning it off. That way, you know if someone is ignoring you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ones plus one is an excellent phone at an excellent price point when it came out, and still is. But quick pace of technology means its already somewhat obselete, there lies the short coming of its invite only sales model, which I'm sure they will abandon once they have enough financial resources to produce and market it en mass.

I have the 16ngig nexus 5 $299 since it's release and have been very happy with it. I agree the iphones are a brand name rip off. But people will pay more for brand name, and there is nothing wrong with brand value, just as I'm not driving a Mercedesm SLK purely for its performance.

Anyway, I'm pretty tech savvy, but at this point I would ait for one plus two to come out and be made available to the masses. If they can't build up enough financial resources with one plus one to swing that, I'm not sure that's a company with enough business sense to plunk my money down for.

Last edited:
Ones plus one is an excellent phone at an excellent price point when it came out, and still is. But quick pace of technology means its already somewhat obselete, there lies the short coming of its invite only sales model, which I'm sure they will abandon once they have enough financial resources to produce and market it en mass.

I have the 16ngig nexus 5 $299 since itsmrrelease and have been very happy with it. I agree it iphones are a brand name rip off. But people will pay more for brand name, and there isn nothing wrong with buying the brand if it has intangible value to you.

Anyway, I'm pretty tech savvy, but at this point I would wait for one plus two to come out and be made availablr to the masses. If they can build up enough financial resources with one plus one to swing that, I'm not sure that's a company with enough business sense to pluck my money down for.
I think the iPhone offers more than just a name for the added premium. I prefer iOS over android. If i could put iOS on a Nexus, I probably would. There's also the superior support for mobile apps from major corporations (most support both nowadays, but iPhone apps usually come out first). I'm not going to pretend iPhones don't have problems. However, while troubleshooting those problems it tends to be easier to find solutions because there are fewer OS/hardware combos out there. Bottom line: a good phone is a good phone - other available models don't change how well yours works.

My company phone is an iPhone 4s. I don't see what's good about it over my glaxaxy 2 and nexus 5 at all. But that's my personal opinion. To each his own. I'm sure some people don't understand why I can't keep parking myb 2000 honda accord in the exec parking lot.

Last edited:
Hmm there's a practically new OnePlus One 64 GB listed for $340 on my local craigslist. I'm happy with my Nexus 5 though.

I'm thinking about dumping my Galaxy S5 for an iPhone. I love android but dammit this phone is useless if the battery life is 6 hours.

LOL @Apple phones 8 megapixel camera, 1 gb ram, dual core processor? = welcome to 2012 - overpriced rip off phone >_>;

Apple's never ever ever been about specs, it's always been UI/user experience.

You don't go to Starbucks for the coffee.

3-4 weeks omgggg =( I want my $300 phone now!

oneplus.png

think of medications in America is the iPhone and the android is, well you know the rest... kidding

I stream video a work to listen to something while doing the autofills...I watch a lot of college football while tailgating for soccer every Saturday...I don't know. Lots of media.
Just found out that my hospitals free WiFi saved me $30/month... Not that I would stream video or watch college football at work. :cool:

I upgraded to the iPhone 6 about a month ago. I love it a lot. But then again, I guess I'm just a fanboy when it comes to Apple.

I hate how smartphone does not take great pics in low light.

I am thinking of getting a Sony DSC-RX100M III. $800. It's too darn expensive for a point and shoot camera. Any alternative?

I am looking at all around great camera but it looks like it's going to be a bulky camera, and like they said you are never going to use ese a camera you don't take with you... Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000. $850.

I can't justify buying a ~$2000 DSLR + hundreds of dollars accessories + lenses when I know nothing about taking pics.

Taking pictures is expensive -_-;

I hate how smartphone does not take great pics in low light.

I am thinking of getting a Sony DSC-RX100M III. $800. It's too darn expensive for a point and shoot camera. Any alternative?

I am looking at all around great camera but it looks like it's going to be a bulky camera, and like they said you are never going to use ese a camera you don't take with you... Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000. $850.

I can't justify buying a ~$2000 DSLR + hundreds of dollars accessories + lenses when I know nothing about taking pics.

Taking pictures is expensive -_-;
Cheap point and shoot cameras can do a surprisingly good job. I picked up a clearance camera at Target for $40 and it's nice to not be waving around a $900 device when shooting pics in low light or action video. I'd try and scope out last year's point and shoot models on clearance when you're at a store that sells electronics. It's no $2000 DSLR, but it's also not $2000.

The Sony RX100M III is probably the best pocketable camera available right now. It has what you need for low-light photos:
1. Large aperture (the f/1.8) to let more light through the lens.
2. A large 1" sensor (large relative to other pocketable cameras) which generally gives less grainy noise at high ISO sensitivities, which you need for low-light shots.

You can get the RX100M II and RX100 for less money, and they still have the same sized sensor and f/1.8 aperture at the wide end of the lens (not zoomed in), if that's how you take your low-light photos.

But be aware that the RX100M III does not zoom in much. The zoom range is only 2.9x. A 'super-zoom' camera like the Panasonic DMC-FZ1000 has a zoom range of 16x. But once you step up to that body size, I would rather get a mirrorless and interchangeable lens camera, like the Sony a6000 which has a larger APS-C sized sensor (same as entry level DSLR). I'm still using an older Sony NEX-5 in that series.

The Sony RX100M III is probably the best pocketable camera available right now. It has what you need for low-light photos:
1. Large aperture (the f/1.8) to let more light through the lens.
2. A large 1" sensor (large relative to other pocketable cameras) which generally gives less grainy noise at high ISO sensitivities, which you need for low-light shots.

You can get the RX100M II and RX100 for less money, and they still have the same sized sensor and f/1.8 aperture at the wide end of the lens (not zoomed in), if that's how you take your low-light photos.

But be aware that the RX100M III does not zoom in much. The zoom range is only 2.9x. A 'super-zoom' camera like the Panasonic DMC-FZ1000 has a zoom range of 16x. But once you step up to that body size, I would rather get a mirrorless and interchangeable lens camera, like the Sony a6000 which has a larger APS-C sized sensor (same as entry level DSLR). I'm still using an older Sony NEX-5 in that series.

Rx100 III has great reviews. Probably the best pocket camera out there. But the price...

Or, I splurged 2X cost and get mirrorless camera Olympus OMD EM1 $1400 body + $999 12-40mm f/2.8 lens. Granted it's going to be like trying to pilot an airplane and don't know what the hell the buttons are for. >_>; I don't know if this is going to be worth it tho...

Just found out that the Nexus 6 is going to cost $650 instead of $350 I paid for nexus 5, very disappointed at Google.

Just get a phone off of aliexpress if you want to be hella cheap.

Oh, its not that I can't fork over $650. I'm just unhappy because google appears to have changed their mission of making available cheap android phones (made possible by a free OS). At the cost point as apple, it seems to be just as money grabbing as its biggest competitor now.

My OPO is finally shipped ;-D

Got an invite after trolling the forums for 2 days. With an invite, I skipped the queue from 7-8 weeks to shipping now! $350 for a great device.

Nexus 6 is a beast with 805 snapdragon and a 6' screen, but it's not worth $650. They change their agenda to compete with flagship devices instead of being low cost android phones.

Limefuel 20,000 mAh. Great battery pack for power user. Deal $35 free shipping.

Enough to charge a cell phone ~7X on the go. % indicator (hate stupid led light indicator), support passthru charging. Does not lie on advertised mAh.

Limefuel 20,000 mAh. Great battery pack for power user. Deal $35 free shipping.

Enough to charge a cell phone ~7X on the go. % indicator (hate stupid led light indicator), support passthru charging. Does not lie on advertised mAh.

Meh, you can get similar on Amazon. I'm waiting for the Cyber Monday deals. You'll be able to get a giant battery pack for cheaper, I bet.

I was looking at random places I could go online. I'm actually thinking about going to Budapest or maybe Prague or Krakow for a random vacation. It's so cheap right now. For instance, you can fly to Budapest roundtrip for about $650 from the East Coast. And when you get there, you can stay in a 4-star hotel for under $30/night or a 5-star for $60/night. On Hotwire, there is a 3-star hotel with free internet and breakfast every morning for $17/night. That is beyond ridiculous. And the dollar is probably only going to get stronger and stronger over the next year at least. Oil is getting cheaper, too, making flights cheaper. Next fall might be an historically cheap time to take an overseas trip. Im keeping my vacation days and options open.

I always wanted to go to Ukraine and check out Pripyat. But those stupid Russians invading make it unlikely that I go to that country any time soon.

Meh, you can get similar on Amazon. I'm waiting for the Cyber Monday deals. You'll be able to get a giant battery pack for cheaper, I bet.
Nothing similar or as good as this one. Checked Amazon about a month ago. 20k mAh goes around $80 for a good brand. There are crappy brand, lies on their advertised mAh and using crappy LED indicator. MUST HAVE. % indicator. LOL.

I actually bought 3. Selling 2 at Ebay at $80 a pop. Quick $40 profit each :-D

I also finally signed up for Cricket. $35/mo plan + $75 phone HTC Desire 510 (will get rebates $75 - making this one free). Decent specs QUAD 1.2 Ghz. Gonna take the sim card out and use it on OPO.

Cricket has a promotion $100 switcher credit, $25 referral, and that free phone I am gonna sell at Ebay another ~$80 profit. $200 free to switch, sign me up!! (6 month free service) O-: Can't wait until I ditch my ZTE Awe and use OPO full time. Two days shipping waiting on Cricket Sim card feels like forever -_-

Last edited:
I was looking at random places I could go online. I'm actually thinking about going to Budapest or maybe Prague or Krakow for a random vacation. It's so cheap right now. For instance, you can fly to Budapest roundtrip for about $650 from the East Coast. And when you get there, you can stay in a 4-star hotel for under $30/night or a 5-star for $60/night. On Hotwire, there is a 3-star hotel with free internet and breakfast every morning for $17/night. That is beyond ridiculous. And the dollar is probably only going to get stronger and stronger over the next year at least. Oil is getting cheaper, too, making flights cheaper. Next fall might be an historically cheap time to take an overseas trip. Im keeping my vacation days and options open.

I always wanted to go to Ukraine and check out Pripyat. But those stupid Russians invading make it unlikely that I go to that country any time soon.
Time to use that 7 off you have every other week.

Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. We went to Aruba last month for cheap but haven't seen many great deals just yet. I was looking for May or October. I will try moving my window around to see if that helps.

Rx100 III has great reviews. Probably the best pocket camera out there. But the price...

Or, I splurged 2X cost and get mirrorless camera Olympus OMD EM1 $1400 body + $999 12-40mm f/2.8 lens. Granted it's going to be like trying to pilot an airplane and don't know what the hell the buttons are for. >_>; I don't know if this is going to be worth it tho...
I'd take a look at the new Canon G7x. I have an S100 that I love, and this seems to be a good marriage of the G series and S series cameras.

Also, since this is anything goes... I have really decided that reviews of professional type software are all just bogus. I tried to find a well priced video editing software and everywhere recommended the Cyberlink Powerdirector. So, I got that and it was junk. It did not run smoothly and made somethings much harder. I ended up going back to Movie Maker until I found something different. After trying 4 or 5 different things, I gave in and got a Creative Cloud subscription. I already needed to upgrade my version of Photoshop and I qualified for the Student/Teacher discount. I wish I had done that first.

On CS6, just Photoshop and Premiere Pro would have been $1500. If you add After Effects (or any other major product) that justified buying the master collection. My CC subscription was $200/year. This is actually a pretty good deal if you use more than one product or used to upgrade less than every 5 years. Also, Premiere Pro is awesome and runs much better than anything I have used so far.

Totally OT, but anyone ever get sentimental about their old girlfriend/boyfriend? Ever tried to reach out after many years? Found her old email address from 8+ yrs ago, but married with 2 kids now, is it crazy to be wondering where are those who you cared for today? Maybe its just birthday coming up and wife is too busy with her MBA assignments. Man, birthdays in your 30s can be such a mind job.

Last edited:
Totally OT, but anyone ever get sentimental about their old girlfriend/boyfriend? Ever tried to reach out after many years? Found her old email address from 8+ yrs ago, but married with 2 kids now, is it crazy to be wondering where are those who you cared for today? Maybe its just birthday coming up and wife is too busy with her MBA assignments. Man, birthdays in your 30s can be such a mind job.

I got like 5 girls I've either dated or hooked up with that live in Nashville. Sort of weird. I like to imagine they get together in a diner every once in a while and talk **** about me.

I dumped my Galaxy S5 Active. 4 months of hell is finally over.