OT: Anything goes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I bought an LG Realm to use for non-communication stuff. Too expensive for me to dump my crappy Samsung galaxy s5 so I'm just making that phone for text/calls only.

Members don't see this ad.

That's nothing, you should see how tricked out some of my friend's ARs are, camo and all. Have to admit though they do look good, kind of like a that feeling you get when you see a good car.

Anyway, maybe a Texas thing, but just from talking to people, I think half of the people here have guns. Hanging out with buddies shooting is almost as ubiquitous as golfing.

Might want to double check me but last I heard there were only 300,000 Texans with a CHL. That honestly surprised me. Seems like everyone I know has a CHL along with a bunch of guns. Figured there would be more of us.

Might want to double check me but last I heard there were only 300,000 Texans with a CHL. That honestly surprised me. Seems like everyone I know has a CHL along with a bunch of guns. Figured there would be more of us.

I heard its twice that, but that is still low. i don't know if the process to apply for concealed handgun is that complicated or just people don't feel the need to since we can open carry non-handguns.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
Friend showed me this... I guess I will be off for a week :-D Never visited Chicago.

Chicago.png

Reactions: 1 user
Dunno where you are. That's 42 bucks round trip lol. 1700 miles one way :)

So it looks with with Verizon they don't even give you a discount on the phone anymore if you go into a contract? So with that in mind it seems like prepaid is a no brainer.

I was looking at the prepaid plan and with Verizon you can get unlimited talk and tax with 2G of data for $45 a month. With Cricket and Boost Mobile you are looking at ~$30.

I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm thinking it would be worth it to just go with Verizon prepaid if it's just $15.

BUT is there a fee per line on top of the plan with Verizon if you go with the prepaid option? If they charge $45 for the plan plus $20 per line or something like that then I can see why it's a ripoff but the site isn't really clear about it.

Either way I think I'm just going to buy my own phone and go prepaid... maybe with Verizon if they don't have other fees on top of the $45

Data is the only thing telecoms are selling. Where I live there is wi-fi everywhere, work, schools, home, so I ditched data and have been paying $40 a year for prepaid for the last couple of years. Did the same for my parent's and their's is even cheaper ($10/yr to keep ea line active). I do have a Ring Plus phone with 1.5 gb of free data per month I carry as back up and I barely use couple hundred mb a month.

I'd go with the 980Ti. But it also comes with a 500W power source, which seems pretty low (and it's also probably a below average manufacturer) so I would replace that. But I'm personally biased towards desktops if you want to play videogames. Graphics cards for laptops are generally worse than their desktop counterparts.

As for the Polaris, it'll probably be extremely expensive anyway even if you decide to wait for it. Might as well get the reasonably priced 980ti and start enjoying it now.

I'd go with the 980Ti. But it also comes with a 500W power source, which seems pretty low (and it's also probably a below average manufacturer) so I would replace that. But I'm personally biased towards desktops if you want to play videogames. Graphics cards for laptops are generally worse than their desktop counterparts.

As for the Polaris, it'll probably be extremely expensive anyway even if you decide to wait for it. Might as well get the reasonably priced 980ti and start enjoying it now.
970M (laptop) perform slightly worse than 960 desktop version.

Lack of portability is also a factor. I don't like having 2 computers laying around, it's a waste to own 2 PCs, be it either laptop or desktop. If I get a desktop, that means I have to keep my current laptop for travel, which I won't feel good about :-/

Maybe, I will wait around til Pascal/polaris comes out in a couple month, the price will drop $200 less.

Last edited:
Dayum... can't decide between the two or wait until Pascal/Polaris graphics card comes out.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop: i7-6700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 512GB M.2 SSD, GTX 970M
or
HP Envy 750se Desktop: i7-6700, 2TB HDD, 16GB DDR4, 6GB GTX 980 Ti

This will run any current games you throw at it at highest settings 1080p. VR is out of the question for now.

I'm waiting for the next gen. I'm looking forward to the crazy VR stuff. If you really want it now, I suggest looking at this, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bernie Sanders wants to make college tuition free via a tax on wall street speculation. In other words if you contribute to a 401k, IRA, or brokerage account then you will be paying for someone's education. So when I get an intern who is slacking off, I'm going to crack a damn whip on them because I'm not paying for them to go to school so they can play words with friends in the pharmacy. You P4s think rotations are tough now? Just you wait.

Bernie Sanders wants to make college tuition free via a tax on wall street speculation. In other words if you contribute to a 401k, IRA, or brokerage account then you will be paying for someone's education. So when I get an intern who is slacking off, I'm going to crack a damn whip on them because I'm not paying for them to go to school so they can play words with friends in the pharmacy. You P4s think rotations are tough now? Just you wait.

The tax would be like 0.5% per trade...and 401ks won't be taxed until retirement. So that's, what, $5000 on a million? So if you are long-game, hold 'em type, you'll barely notice. If you are one of those dinguses with a computer that makes a million microtransactions a day based off of algorithms, it will cost you.

The tax would be like 0.5% per trade...and 401ks won't be taxed until retirement. So that's, what, $5000 on a million? So if you are long-game, hold 'em type, you'll barely notice. If you are one of those dinguses with a computer that makes a million microtransactions a day based off of algorithms, it will cost you.

Hillary said she wants to tax ALL passive income for "the wealthy". Bernie agreed.

What exactly do they mean by this? Taxes on 401k and Roth IRA? Who exactly is considered wealthy? Anyone who actually saved for retirement?

Hillary said she wants to tax ALL passive income for "the wealthy". Bernie agreed.

What exactly do they mean by this? Taxes on 401k and Roth IRA? Who exactly is considered wealthy? Anyone who actually saved for retirement?
As of now, that probably means income above 250k/yr. Pharmacist is anything but wealthy. Salary needs to double before we get much penalty from wealthy tax. You know that ain't happening soon with 150-200k in debt prospective students flooding the job market.

Anyone have good resources for learning how to trade stocks? Books, videos? Etc.

Being taxed on a trade means every time I purchase a share of Total Stock Market or US Growth I will be taxed. It doesn't matter if I won't notice it on a pharmacist's salary, they'll notice it on a teacher's or mechanic's salary. I'm still paying for you to get your women's studies degree.

Being taxed on a trade means every time I purchase a share of Total Stock Market or US Growth I will be taxed. It doesn't matter if I won't notice it on a pharmacist's salary, they'll notice it on a teacher's or mechanic's salary. I'm still paying for you to get your women's studies degree.

It's 50c on $100.

Walmart just emailed every pharmacist saying they're changing the minimum requirements to be a pharmacist and every pharmacist has to become certified to do immunizations by April of 2017 or you'll be placed on an unpaid 60 day leave of absence to find another position in the company "that you meet the minimum qualifications for" so basically fired since I doubt a pharmacist can transfer to the bakery or meat department...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

There is zero chance bernie wins so I wouldn't worry about it.

I just ditched cable. Sony's Vue is my new jawn. The dawn of the internet-based cable service is upon us. And it is beautiful. $45 a month out the door. No boxes, taxes, or fees. Free cloud-based DVR. All my live sports needs are met (Comcast Sports Philly, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, FS1, FS2, NBCSN, and BeIN Sports.) I was paying $210 to get the same channels and 50/50 internet through Verizon. Now I'm paying $120 for 150/150 internet and Sony Vue. I even added an HBO Now sub because I'm saving so much.

Since I'm on the subject, I'm thinking about switching to MetroPCS, too. $60 for two lines, 6GB a month each. Shew.

It's 50c on $100.

So we can send millions of idiots to college who otherwise don't belong?

So we can furter dilute the value of a bachelors degree to the point where you can't even wipe your ass with it because real toilet paper has a higher tangible and intangible value?

So we, the tax payer, can fund hundreds of thousands of wild sex parties and beer budgets a year?

So we can toss out the idea of being responsible for your own actions including your own expenses that you incur?

Just so we can, because you know, after all according to you, it's cheap? Approaching $20 trillion in debt, but...still cheap.

How about no for the simple principle of not spending another dime on another group of financially irresponsible, clueless soon to be beneficiaries of another government entitlement.

WTF is wrong with you people. The people that actually support this ****...who are apparently highly intelligent people, will never cease to amaze me.

Reactions: 2 users
So we can send millions of idiots to college who otherwise don't belong?

So we can furter dilute the value of a bachelors degree to the point where you can't even wipe your ass with it because real toilet paper has a higher tangible and intangible value?

So we, the tax payer, can fund hundreds of thousands of wild sex parties and beer budgets a year?

So we can toss out the idea of being responsible for your own actions including your own expenses that you incur?

Just so we can, because you know, after all according to you, it's cheap? Approaching $20 trillion in debt, but...still cheap.

How about no for the simple principle of not spending another dime on another group of financially irresponsible, clueless soon to be beneficiaries of another government entitlement.

WTF is wrong with you people. The people that actually support this ****...who are apparently highly intelligent people, will never cease to amaze me.

The funny thing is that they said the same thing about free public high school education about a century ago. When the educational requirements for labor were less rigorous. You are right about one thing though, the government should control the faucet more. They should have free public schools and for-cost private school. Kind of like how education is until the 12th grade. More people should be directed to the trades, too. A lot of things are wrong with academia. But the current paradigm isn't sustainable. But what you want is clearly and infantile long-term view. Do you honestly think that having an undereducated citizenry versus those in other first-world countries is a better idea? Or are you a fan of the current status quo? Have a cohort of people that are deeply in debt and unable to contribute to the economy as consumers?

Not that it matter in the very long-term. Eventually, AI and automation will spell the death of labor and the concept of working for a living. What happens once that occurs will be interesting. Thankfully I'll almost be dead, so I won't have to experience the dystopia that's sure to be created in the vacuum that used to be called the working class.

Enough bickering over politics. After about 5 years of waiting and a MSF I finally bit the bullet and got a bike. A clean used 2012 rebel 250 with like no miles. Really loved the grom but the 125 wasn't gonna cut it. My 40 min commute just got way less boring

The funny thing is that they said the same thing about free public high school education about a century ago. When the educational requirements for labor were less rigorous. You are right about one thing though, the government should control the faucet more. They should have free public schools and for-cost private school. Kind of like how education is until the 12th grade. More people should be directed to the trades, too. A lot of things are wrong with academia. But the current paradigm isn't sustainable. But what you want is clearly and infantile long-term view. Do you honestly think that having an undereducated citizenry versus those in other first-world countries is a better idea? Or are you a fan of the current status quo? Have a cohort of people that are deeply in debt and unable to contribute to the economy as consumers?

Not that it matter in the very long-term. Eventually, AI and automation will spell the death of labor and the concept of working for a living. What happens once that occurs will be interesting. Thankfully I'll almost be dead, so I won't have to experience the dystopia that's sure to be created in the vacuum that used to be called the working class.

The problem isn't the school system. The problem is 18 year old girl pays double tuition to go to school out of state because the campus is "more pretty". The kids who go to a private school because their friend is going there. The endless of masses of students getting a major in useless subjects like German polka history and underwater basket weaving and wonder why they don't have a job. College is a business investment; many students make poor investments. People are literally dropping 80k on degrees in philosophy/history/teaching/art; their parents must be cousins that's all I can say.

Same thing in pharmacy school. I remember during one of my interview tours the student told me she had to pay out of state tuition at 42k/year PLUS HOUSING but choose it over an in-state choice because they had nicer facilities; such as their practice compounding lab. I get you are trying to sell the school but are you kidding me?

I strongly agree though, more focus should be directed at the trades and high skill labor. You can so easily walk out of highschool making 60k+ a year driving truck/welding/mechanic work/etc.

Last edited:
Oooo chit... it's here for only 1500... Damn good deal...

i7-6800K, GB MB, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1080, 480GB SSD & More + $50GC $1554
http://slickdeals.net/f/8821623-cyb...b-16gb-ddr4-gtx-1080-480gb-ssd-more-50gc-1554

I wonder if cyberpower and ibuypower are affiliated? I bought one from ibuypower.com ~5 years ago. They let you build the computer from the ground up and they put it together and ship it. My configuration was ~$1,100 but I also bought a 24 inch monitor somewhere else for $250. No complains and having an i7 at >3.2 Ghz with a good graphics card is nice. My only complaint is that I'm pretty sure that they put it in a different tower than I chose on the website, lol.

I'd buy from there again, but I don't really do any gaming now so I may potentially just use an ultrabook as my only computer when I graduate. Plus it seems like 2-in-1 touchscreens are becoming pretty standard so that may be tempting too if I do ever decide to get a desktop.

I wonder if cyberpower and ibuypower are affiliated? I bought one from ibuypower.com ~5 years ago. They let you build the computer from the ground up and they put it together and ship it. My configuration was ~$1,100 but I also bought a 24 inch monitor somewhere else for $250. No complains and having an i7 at >3.2 Ghz with a good graphics card is nice. My only complaint is that I'm pretty sure that they put it in a different tower than I chose on the website, lol.

I'd buy from there again, but I don't really do any gaming now so I may potentially just use an ultrabook as my only computer when I graduate. Plus it seems like 2-in-1 touchscreens are becoming pretty standard so that may be tempting too if I do ever decide to get a desktop.

Got a deal recently for $400, retail at $700. Touchscreen, 1080p, backlit keyboard, 250gb ssd, 8gb ram, 2 in 1, i5-6200u 2.3 ghz. Boots Windows in 10 seconds. Couldn't be happier with the purchase.
http://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/195123

Sold my 6 yrs old laptop for $300 lol. Updated 1st generation of i7 Intel processor to 6th generation, it's not as hot anymore due to 14nm chips vs. 45nm efficiency.

Got a tablet lg g pad x valued $240 on t-mobile (check slickdeal) for $25 (coz I'm not a current tmo customer, otherwise current customer can get it for $5 each). Nice gifts, ppl buy 5 tablets for 25 bucks lol.

I honestly just got one to update my old tablet running snapdragon 400. This one snapdragon 617 which is pretty decent tablet for $25.

who here carries two phones? The company phone is an iphone 6s (I hate iphones, but it's not up to me), and my personal phone is an Samsung galaxy S7 (wife is not exactly frugal, getting new phones every year to year and half, but at least she picks good phones). That's not so bad other than having to carrying 2 phones. Hello, I don't carry a purse, and I don't need to look like I have 3 hard on's! I want to just carry the Galaxy, but while I can forward the calls I can't forward texts or get the company e-mail on it. I'm just venting, kind of resigned to carrying 2 phones all the time, but who else has this problem?

who here carries two phones? The company phone is an iphone 6s (I hate iphones, but it's not up to me), and my personal phone is an Samsung galaxy S7 (wife is not exactly frugal, getting new phones every year to year and half, but at least she picks good phones). That's not so bad other than having to carrying 2 phones. Hello, I don't carry a purse, and I don't need to look like I have 3 hard on's! I want to just carry the Galaxy, but while I can forward the calls I can't forward texts or get the company e-mail on it. I'm just venting, kind of resigned to carrying 2 phones all the time, but who else has this problem?
Is the iPhone a GSM carrier? If so, get a galaxy gear s or s2 smart watch and put the SIM card in that. Then you have to "carry two phones" but one is on your wrist to get texts and you still just forward your calls.

Company phones hmm... Can you download app to forward texts? There are a lot of apps that can do that. It might not be possible if your company monitor what you put in your phone. Email is another challenge if they secure the phone.

Can't put any apps on the company phones I have had, Blackberry and iPhone. Can't even update iOS without dropping it off at IT.

I'm having an iphone6 issue with texting. I was wondering if anyone knows the solution and google was of no help. When I'm searching google images and want to send a pic in iChat the pic just used to populate in the chat and I could easily send it, but as of a few months ago, an older update, when I try to send a pic it automatically attaches the link underneath it and I have to back space the link out and it gets tedious. How do I have it not attach a link when sending a google pic? Me and friends send random pics all the time so I don't want to save them on my phone then send them (my workaround as of now to get no link) but then they're saved on my phone and it gets tedious having to delete them. Anyone know?

Someone's gotta know my question. I know some people are obsessed with Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Totally OT, but anyone ever get sentimental about their old girlfriend/boyfriend? Ever tried to reach out after many years? Found her old email address from 8+ yrs ago, but married with 2 kids now, is it crazy to be wondering where are those who you cared for today? Maybe its just birthday coming up and wife is too busy with her MBA assignments. Man, birthdays in your 30s can be such a mind job.

This is so like 2009 or something. Now with Facebook, you can always feel connected with all your ex's and easily keep up with every aspect of their life.

Buy an Android?
But I already got a paid off iphone6 on a family plan with close family to split costs so it's a great deal, just can't figure out how to remove those pesky links and think it's weird other people with similar phones don't encounter that.

So what's the best tasting coffee creamer you guys use/recommend?