OT: Anything goes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tussionex

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
None, the bitter black taste of coffee is something that I feel should not be disguised...use a decent quality coffee (not that instant BS).
Just don't be a hipster doofus & do something trendy like ruin coffee by throwing in butter &/or coconut oil or you might get struck by lightning by the coffee god for bastardizing coffee

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of bastardizing coffee, some people are not aware of cleaning the coffee filter holder and carafe. Need a good brush and soap that will reach down deep and scrub out that oily residue.

The men in our department like black coffee. The girls like that "perfume and candy" coffee.

Reactions: 1 user
So I don't want to discuss spoilers or anything but how can Star War the Last Jedi only have 56% for audience scores on Rotten Tomato?! I loved it!

Reactions: 1 users
So I don't want to discuss spoilers or anything but how can Star War the Last Jedi only have 56% for audience scores on Rotten Tomato?! I loved it!

Haven’t got there yet. I did finally go to see Justice League last week. About 45 minutes in, got a text that our 1 year old was puking everywhere. We had to leave mid-movie.

Haven’t got there yet. I did finally go to see Justice League last week. About 45 minutes in, got a text that our 1 year old was puking everywhere. We had to leave mid-movie.

What an unfair situation. Totally unjust!

I didn't really leave the theater with the same feel as Force Awakens.

Rotten Tomato is a hit or miss nowadays.

So anybody else on here an Existentialist? I guess I can be described as one. Kind of a stoic existentialist.

I was watching one of my favorite movies today. It's an old Stanley Kubrick movie called Barry Lyndon. The final title card of the movie is really one of the greatest examples of existentialist thought I've had the pleasure of witnessing.

33w9k05.jpg

Mmmmm. Delicious, scathing critique of the human condition and its inability to come to terms with its meaninglessness in a vast, indifferent world.

4:25 onward is especially good.

There's a campaign on it. I thought the movie was ok (I really like Mark Hamill's take on Skywalker and wish that Rian Johnson didn't emasculate him). I could have done with better film editing (it could lose the wannabe James Bond scenes without narrative problems). Apparently, the Rebels have learned absolutely nothing about flag officer strategic command over 30 years (need to know specifically is not the same as don't say anything). At least, Adam Driver is a good actor where Hayden was completely wooden.

4:25 onward is especially good.

There's a campaign on it. I thought the movie was ok (I really like Mark Hamill's take on Skywalker and wish that Rian Johnson didn't emasculate him). I could have done with better film editing (it could lose the wannabe James Bond scenes without narrative problems). Apparently, the Rebels have learned absolutely nothing about flag officer strategic command over 30 years (need to know specifically is not the same as don't say anything). At least, Adam Driver is a good actor where Hayden was completely wooden.

Well the rebels may not have learned anything about strategic command but the first order also hasn’t learned anything about fighting rebels, so I would say that’s a wash. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
WOWAir is having a half-off flights special until 7PM EST today. Promo Code WOWXMAS. If you've never been to Iceland, I can't recommend it enough.

81l0UR8wGjL._SY679_.jpg

This stuff is pretty good; better than Trader Joe's Cold brew, way better than Kohana Cold brew (pretty bad)

I have never tried Black Rifle
I would recommend "gunpowder" though if you can find it; it's essentially a really strong Vietnamese green tea that comes in a form of rolled up green tea leaf balls. Asian food marts often carry this stuff

Last edited:
So anybody else on here an Existentialist? I guess I can be described as one. Kind of a stoic existentialist.

I was watching one of my favorite movies today. It's an old Stanley Kubrick movie called Barry Lyndon. The final title card of the movie is really one of the greatest examples of existentialist thought I've had the pleasure of witnessing.
As Satre once quipped, "My philosophy is a philosophy of existence; I don’t even known what Existentialism is." ;)

Compiling a 'must watch' list and wondering - what do you like about Barry Lyndon?

On the topic of The Last Jedi... the worst SW film yet imo. Plot was terrible/non-existent.

It was a terrible film and a complete waste of time in my opinion. It's the only Star Wars film I feel this way about.

It was a terrible film and a complete waste of time in my opinion. It's the only Star Wars film I feel this way about.

Agreed.

Disney has now been successful in butchering the series and will continue to destroy Star Wars as long as the films make money.... sad day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rogue One actually was decent for me. Vader is a mass murdering sociopath with a bad sense of humor, the Empire is played so entertainingly over-the-top, the Rebels come together after they deal with their personal drama. Star Wars has a franchise original sin, it's always been a B-movie. That said, Last Jedi pretty much ends any chance that I'll watch the third (and I never saw the prequel 3rd movie after falling asleep during the laughably acted Attack of the Clones). I like the idea of Rose, but there is no scene she is in that is essential to the storytelling. I still can't figure out if Maz is a merch character or not, and as written earlier, the Rebels have no idea how to run a field operation, much less a command operation. Almost everything that went wrong was trivially preventable and well within their knowledge to not act this stupidly. Luke Skywalker is truly that stupid, but I can't see him actually giving up which was his saving grace. I hate unintentional idiot plots in movies as well as extraneous scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
As Satre once quipped, "My philosophy is a philosophy of existence; I don’t even known what Existentialism is." ;)

Compiling a 'must watch' list and wondering - what do you like about Barry Lyndon?

Everything, really. The music is magnificent. The camera work is unbelievable. They made special lenses just so they could film using ambient candlelight. It was painstakingly made. It is wonderfully nihilistic. As mentioned above. It's got a great sense of subtle, dry humor. But I think what I like the most is that it allows the modern viewer to see a snapshot of life in that time -- and see how absurd it was. And if you take what you see - the pettiness of humans, how cheap life is to those in power, and, in the end, how meaningless it all is --and extrapolate it to modern life, you come to realize that nothing really changes. We suck. As a species. And the time we live in is just as absurd as that time. I love books, movies, and shows like this. Dostoevsky (pick a book), any Kubrick movie (director of Barry Lyndon), or, recently, The Wire on HBO.

But if you want to see more like that I'd recommend watching the entire series of The Wire. It's going to be regarded as our generation's lasting masterpiece in time. Another unheralded littlemovie is The Thin Red Line from 1998. It's a war movie, but not really. But it goes into the same themes. I'm actually shocked it got made by a major Hollywood studio.

Found my next phone. Snapdragon 845, 6GB RAM, 12+5 mp rear, 20 mp front camera, 4000 amp battery, quick charge 3.0, IR face unlock, fingerprint sensor, and a headphone jack. No nfc :(

All that for $300. Dayum... Please take my money!

If Xiaomi comes out with a global variant (supporting US LTE bands) that might be interesting. The last few years I've mainly used used flagships < $200 or less

Has anyone been to a League of Legends esports game? I got saddled with taking my nieces and nephews (both big fans) to the finals in California. I watched a game on Youtube today, and I can't figure out what's going on in game except kill the other side and their base (and yes, I have played computer games when younger). Are there any new viewer guides out there?

Has anyone been to a League of Legends esports game? I got saddled with taking my nieces and nephews (both big fans) to the finals in California. I watched a game on Youtube today, and I can't figure out what's going on in game except kill the other side and their base (and yes, I have played computer games when younger). Are there any new viewer guides out there?

If Xiaomi comes out with a global variant (supporting US LTE bands) that might be interesting. The last few years I've mainly used used flagships < $200 or less
Found out they don't support LTE bands =( I guess imma have to wait until they come out with pocophone f2 /w snapdragon 855 :-D I am overdue for an upgrade from snapdragon 808 (it starts to lag like hell).

Just wait until Black Friday at this point. There is always a steal available. I got the Essential Phone last fall for $115 through Sprint. Just buy out the contract for $30, ask them to unlock it, and you could take it anywhere.

Wow, last weekend was awesome. Where was this stuff when I was younger?! I definitely going to follow some of the streamers in the exhibition match.

Started playing league? lol

Last edited:
Got 2 LG G8s for $270 each. Got an Asus laptop with Ryzen 3500u,16GB ram, 1TB SSD, and 1660ti for $799.

Considering an LG 75" Nanocell tv on Ratuken for $1296 with $350 back in store credit. Have until the 6th to decide.

Due to the Spectre mitigations, this is not the year to buy Intel as even 10th Gens crippled. AMDs new versions though, I'd be terrified if I were at Haifa or Jones Farm for Intel. I'll have Puget Systems replace my computer next year though I'm still highly satisfied with their Gen5 Broadwell built 5 years ago.

This was my gift to myself this year:

I can vouch for XArcade quality control as my Tankstick 1.0 has lasted since pharmacy school 16 years ago and only had one board replacement for USB compatibility at their expense. Bought with Walgreens Option 2000 money alongside my first computer. I was so happy back then with so little...

The next computer I'll buy will strictly follow Summit Architecture as my old one followed Titan. By the time Taiwan Semiconductor figures out how to mass produce for Department of Energy computers is the time to buy.

After buying my wife Modernist Cuisine last year for Christmas, she wanted a combioven this year which we installed right before Thanksgiving. My god, I didn't know you could buy homes for less than that machine...

Am I super-lame to be considering to go see Frozen 2 by myself? My youngest kiddo is old enough to have no interest in the movie. Should I borrow a friend's kiddo so I don't seem as lame?

• Haha
Pulled the trigger on the TV. My wife and I both got the opportunity to work 11 hours last night at a store that was 100+ pages behind. 22 hours of RPH pay pretty much pays for the thing. I feel like fate made the decision for me. Need to decide what to do with the $350 of store credit. Might buy my wife a refurb Acer Nitro with a GTX 1550ti they got on there for $509(-$350 credit=$159 OOP.) for tagging along with me.

It was at 65 pages when I left, so I felt like I did some good, too.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Am I super-lame to be considering to go see Frozen 2 by myself? My youngest kiddo is old enough to have no interest in the movie. Should I borrow a friend's kiddo so I don't seem as lame?

The struggle is real! I say go alone to a later showing. Wear a trench coat and bring candy to seem less weird. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Got this for my holiday haul to reward myself. Not a bad monitor for the price.

What are you guys latest toys?

I got those Sony Headphones you listed for $270 a few weeks ago.

Apparently my TV and Apple TV are too old to stream Disney Plus, so I got a $20 fire stick and now my old TV will last me another 2-3 years I think.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Got 2 LG G8s for $270 each. Got an Asus laptop with Ryzen 3500u,16GB ram, 1TB SSD, and 1660ti for $799.

Considering an LG 75" Nanocell tv on Ratuken for $1296 with $350 back in store credit. Have until the 6th to decide.

I’m eyeing that very same TV as well (it’s the 8000 model series I think), I think best price I could find was $1499, I’d pull the trigger for that price!

I might wait a year or two for sub-$2k 70-75” OLED, or until something gets thrown at my current TV and it breaks, hah.

I am planning to see it with my Mom when I visit her for the holidays, no kids needed. We both like fairy tales and animated movies, and if anyone thinks we are weird... it's been decades since I've cared what random strangers think of me. And my mom is old enough to do pretty much whatever the heck she wants and get away with it because she is a cute little old lady.

I got those Sony Headphones you listed for $270 a few weeks ago.

Apparently my TV and Apple TV are too old to stream Disney Plus, so I got a $20 fire stick and now my old TV will last me another 2-3 years I think.

Best NC headphone this yr, super comfortable. I EQ it to be a bit more neutral sounding, monitor like headphone and not having that overpowering bass.

This is the setting I use.

Pulled the trigger on the TV. My wife and I both got the opportunity to work 11 hours last night at a store that was 100+ pages behind. 22 hours of RPH pay pretty much pays for the thing. I feel like fate made the decision for me. Need to decide what to do with the $350 of store credit. Might buy my wife a refurb Acer Nitro with a GTX 1550ti they got on there for $509(-$350 credit=$159 OOP.) for tagging along with me.

Something like this maybe, and return your 1650. 1660ti performance boost over 1650 is massive. Add 8GB RAM.

Oh, it's for your wife, nvm lol

Last edited:
Something like this maybe, and return your 1650. 1660ti performance boost over 1650 is massive. Add 8GB RAM.

Oh, it's for your wife, nvm lol
It has to be on Ratuken, anyway

You can take mine. They will spill candy and have to pee 306784 times but you'll look completely legit.

• Haha

I’ve got young daughters, so I had no option whatsoever. That said, it was good...you should definitely go.

Best NC headphone this yr, super comfortable. I EQ it to be a bit more neutral sounding, monitor like headphone and not having that overpowering bass.

This is the setting I use.

Thanks I’ll give that a try, I’m biased towards bass uh I haven’t set the thing up yet.

Frozen 2 was actually pretty good, music does not match original but the visuals are really impressive (and I took my little girl so I wouldn't get stared at).

Last edited: