OT, DO/MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I...

• Go to OT school

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Go to med school

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Go back to school when you have maturity

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TeenRoyalty154

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Neuroscience and Psychology double major.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your post is long and makes me tired.

Also your user name makes me not want to help you.

Recommend re-post in pre-allo.
You are salty today! Have some Amiloride.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How is this relevant to my post ?

Lighten up. It's about as relevant as you making a thread in the med student subforum answering your own question. This is a personal decision and you said that you lack the maturity to succeed in med school. How else can we help you?

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely go to OT school. It is a well known backdoor to medical school anyways. I know of at least 1 person who was in your same position and got into Harvard after going to OT school just for the money.

Definitely go to OT school. It is a well known backdoor to medical school anyways. I know of at least 1 person who was in your same position and got into Harvard after going to OT school just for the money.
No originality. Obvious name. 0/10.

Reactions: 1 users
You didn't mention what stage you are in your undergraduate studies. That would be helpful information. For example, if you are a freshman, your current standing may not be such a large issue (bumpy starts happen). But if you are a junior, this is a problem (though you're probably not hopeless for a DO school). As far as "replacing" your Cs, please note that it has been said on this forum that MD schools do not allow grade replaces (although DO schools do). This may even vary by school, and I am not 100% sure about it -- however, it is something worth looking into.

I'm not sure why you called gen chem and gen bio non-prereqs, unless you were referring to pre-reqs for your major and not for medical school (though your major is bio so I doubt that). These are undoubtedly pre-reqs for med school. Also, the fact you got Cs in these is seriously concerning, considering these are generally viewed by many as lightweight classes/GPA boosters. Whatever your situation, either too much responsibility/working FT or just plain screwing off, you need to reevaluate how you're doing your courses. If you don't want to do that, you're right on track to being an average/below average DO candidate. But realistically, no one will have any idea what you can do right now. We're only talking about GPA. What about your MCAT? Maybe you get a 28+ -- boom, you're competitive; not for MD if you end up maintaining that 3.2, but for DO, definitely.

You seem to be at a point now where getting into DO school is possible. Getting into an MD school is improbable, but would be doable if you had the remarkable capability of doing a complete I-wasn't-really-serious-before-but-now-it's-on 180. It isn't by any means hopeless. If you were at 2.5 (and late soph/junior without some other amazing components to your app), then I would have a different opinion. But you're on the precipice of getting there. But again, we're only talking GPA. You've still got MCAT and your ECs (volunteering/shadowing/research) to worry about as well. You haven't posted where you are with those.

Reactions: 1 user
T
You didn't mention what stage you are in your undergraduate studies. That would be helpful information. For example, if you are a freshman, your current standing may not be such a large issue (bumpy starts happen). But if you are a junior, this is a problem (though you're probably not hopeless for a DO school). As far as "replacing" your Cs, please note that it has been said on this forum that MD schools do not allow grade replaces (although DO schools do). This may even vary by school, and I am not 100% sure about it -- however, it is something worth looking into.

I'm not sure why you called gen chem and gen bio non-prereqs, unless you were referring to pre-reqs for your major and not for medical school (though your major is bio so I doubt that). These are undoubtedly pre-reqs for med school. Also, the fact you got Cs in these is seriously concerning, considering these are generally viewed by many as lightweight classes/GPA boosters. Whatever your situation, either too much responsibility/working FT or just plain screwing off, you need to reevaluate how you're doing your courses. If you don't want to do that, you're right on track to being an average/below average DO candidate. But realistically, no one will have any idea what you can do right now. We're only talking about GPA. What about your MCAT? Maybe you get a 28+ -- boom, you're competitive; not for MD if you end up maintaining that 3.2, but for DO, definitely.

You seem to be at a point now where getting into DO school is possible. Getting into an MD school is improbable, but would be doable if you had the remarkable capability of doing a complete I-wasn't-really-serious-before-but-now-it's-on 180. It isn't by any means hopeless. If you were at 2.5 (and late soph/junior without some other amazing components to your app), then I would have a different opinion. But you're on the precipice of getting there. But again, we're only talking GPA. You've still got MCAT and your ECs (volunteering/shadowing/research) to worry about as well. You haven't posted where you are with those.

Thank you for your sincere response. I was in a bit of a hurry while writing this. However my concern was should I bother retaking pre-requisites that are non science like 2000 level genetics class, and C in applied calc I.

I did mention I was a junior in first line of the paragraph. But regardless yes I like your post and I'm thankful for your help.

I'm fairly new to posting on these forums. So if you'll pardon me.

Stop doing bad in your classes and do well on the MCAT. Problem solved.

This says a lot right here. Your stats are lethal for DO schools.

I think I lack the maturity to do well in medical school at this point. And I want to pay off student loans.

How badly do you want to be a doctor?
Do you guys think I should apply DO after doing grade replacements or should I just do an OT degree because at this point my med school dreams are shot?

Honestly, I think I can get into DO or OT. I took the old mcat & scored a 30.

OT doesn't require MCAT.
This thread was really to help me decide what is worth my while to pursue...

The last answer in the poll was really a joke.

I definitely think I'm mature for either profession. The problem was while I was in undergrad.

Last edited:
Generally, you'll only hear medicine isn't worthwhile to pursue if you don't want anything to do with it in the first place. If you like it, it is definitely one of the best things you can undoubtedly pursue in your life; it's laid out for you here, so if you want it and are willing to put in the work you can take it. However, if you're iffy, but you still think it might be the thing you're looking for and just aren't sure, the obvious decision is to get more exposure. Preferably, that should be done through shadowing or any clinical job/volunteering where you are working directly with physicians and having meaningful experiences. By the way, I hope you know you're going to need a recommendation from a DO. First thing you should do if you're serious about this is go find one. Then actually start studying for your exams/get better profs next semester. I absolutely do not believe you are completely incapable of increasing that GPA; 10 to 1 there is some laziness/apathy involved (again assuming no FT job responsibilities). Fix that, and you will be successful. If you don't, well, then it's good you've thought about OT as a backup. But seriously, just make the decision. Once you've decided, and are firm in your decision, anything you have to do to get there should be "worth [your] while."

Did I mention fix the GPA? That's the main thing, here.

Generally, you'll only hear medicine isn't worthwhile to pursue if you don't want anything to do with it in the first place. If you like it, it is definitely one of the best things you can undoubtedly pursue in your life; it's laid out for you here, so if you want it and are willing to put in the work you can take it. However, if you're iffy, but you still think it might be the thing you're looking for and just aren't sure, the obvious decision is to get more exposure. Preferably, that should be done through shadowing or any clinical job/volunteering where you are working directly with physicians and having meaningful experiences. By the way, I hope you know you're going to need a recommendation from a DO. First thing you should do if you're serious about this is go find one. Then actually start studying for your exams/get better profs next semester. I absolutely do not believe you are completely incapable of increasing that GPA; 10 to 1 there is some laziness/apathy involved (again assuming no FT job responsibilities). Fix that, and you will be successful. If you don't, well, then it's good you've thought about OT as a backup. But seriously, just make the decision. Once you've decided, and are firm in your decision, anything you have to do to get there should be "worth [your] while."

Did I mention fix the GPA? That's the main thing, here.

I haven't met a lot of people from the internet who have unwavering confidence in me. However, I'm thankful for your excellent advice.