OT: Fitness 2.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just asked on FB if someone wanted to do one with me in October/November. Maybe then I'll do it. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I joined the fitocracy group! I'll probably fall off the planet once school starts in a few weeks but looking forward to seeing how far I can push myself in the meantime. Plus watching the olympics gives me motivation to try to look like the beach volleyball players :xf:

i just wish it wasnt so crazy hot and humid outside!

Members don't see this ad :)
My first 5K is next month. I suck. I am pretty sure I will come in last. I told my friend that she isn't allowed to say a word.

I did a 5 miler a while back with a coworker because her boyfriend couldn't get out of a work obligation and we walked probably 3 of the 5 miles (I was along for the ride, encouraging her) and still didn't finish last. You can do it!! :D

I just asked on FB if someone wanted to do one with me in October/November. Maybe then I'll do it. :rolleyes:

If you were in my area, I'd totally do one with you! Hope you find someone!

To make the C25k peeps feel better, slow out of shape 'box just about puked after the first mile of her 5k workout (in retrospect 11 min/mile is too fast for me right now) and ended up doing 5k in 41:29 :(

Why do you keep going if you get sick? Maybe you should have started with less?

Why do you keep going if you get sick? Maybe you should have started with less?
Because I hate the way I feel in the first mile of any run, I can't give up or I'll never make it thru. I almost puked because I didn't wait long enough between breakfast and running.

I have six weeks to quadruple the workout I did today. If I can't do 5k now...

And blah blah. In the end it comes down to an insane amount of dedication to whatever it is I said I'll do. If I'm genuinely hurt I stop, but side stitches and that pukey feeling are just normal for me in training.

I did some cleaning AND went running. :p

You're such a disappointment to Philliab. ;)

I want to run a 5k next year. Knowing me, I'd probably still suck after C25K, so I'm giving myself more time. I'd also really like to be able to do a triathlon, so I need to get a good bike finally (which will make getting to work easier also than what it is on my sucky bike now) and finally start using that pool at school.

I really want to do one as well. There is one done by an organization started by the leader of my gym every year in May. I'm not worried about the running or the swimming, just the biking. Good thing I didn't sign up this year since I sprained my ankle the month before.

:laugh::laugh: I do too!

So I didn't go to the gym today. Why? Family coming over and had to do some cleaning instead.

I did some cleaning AND went running. :p

You're such a disappointment to Philliab. ;)

:cool: Looks like PP wins the award today. Then again....sometimes cleaning feels like running a marathon. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
:cool: Looks like PP wins the award today. Then again....sometimes cleaning feels like running a marathon. :laugh:

It does! :laugh:

It's a marathon every Thursday night to get stuff done because my mom comes Friday while I'm at work. :smuggrin:

It does! :laugh:

It's a marathon every Thursday night to get stuff done because my mom comes Friday while I'm at work. :smuggrin:

:laugh: :thumbup:

I was kind of bummed that fitocracy didn't include cleaning in their activity list. The creater must have someone else doing it for him/her. :cool:

Hey, I am ahead of her. Week 2 day 2 is tomorrow.

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Week 2 Day 1 is for me tomorrow. I already suck right now, how am I gonna run even more? :laugh:

Although I'm thinking about running outside the neighborhood because it'd be even ground, not hilly..

Week 2 Day 1 is for me tomorrow. I already suck right now, how am I gonna run even more? :laugh:

Although I'm thinking about running outside the neighborhood because it'd be even ground, not hilly..

If you're just being self-deprecating, never mind what's below. :)

If you're really struggling, you can (and maybe should) repeat days/weeks. Running is really hard to get used to and if you need more practice with short intervals, you need more practice. No big deal! It's awesome that you're doing c25k at all!

went for a run today, the first one in a while. It felt super good, even though it was as windy as hell and super tough! hopefully I can keep it up! :love:

It also started pouring with rain the moment I got back inside the door. Good thing I didn't put it off for another 10 minutes!!!

I'm gonna try Week 2 on flat ground and then if I'm still struggling by the end of the week, I'll try Week 2 at the gym next week, because school is starting and I can finally use it again.

If you're really struggling, you can (and maybe should) repeat days/weeks. Running is really hard to get used to and if you need more practice with short intervals, you need more practice. No big deal! It's awesome that you're doing c25k at all!

Definitely great advice! Last time I did C25K, I don't think I was ready to do the next week but forced myself to do it. It wasn't fun or doable. This time I'm going to do each week until I don't feel like I'm dying then move up a level.

Glad to know I'm not being slack. :laugh:

I think running uphill is my problem. I get soo sloww and it takes a ton of energy out of me. :sleep:

Definitely great advice! Last time I did C25K, I don't think I was ready to do the next week but forced myself to do it. It wasn't fun or doable. This time I'm going to do each week until I don't feel like I'm dying then move up a level.

Glad to know I'm not being slack. :laugh:

Anytime you put on your shoes and go for a run you're not slacking off. Even if the run sucks and you end up walking most of it, it's still better than not trying.

Anytime you put on your shoes and go for a run you're not slacking off. Even if the run sucks and you end up walking most of it, it's still better than not trying.

:thumbup: Unfortunately, my brain doesn't think that way. Let's see if I can reprogram it this time. :laugh:

I think running uphill is my problem. I get soo sloww and it takes a ton of energy out of me. :sleep:

I had that problem with Day 1 yesterday. I took a really hilly route by accident, and it made the whole thing awful. Today I'm trying a treadmill to see if that helps. :xf:

But I have found out (or realized again) that I absolutely LOVE to swim! :love: So glad I braved putting on a bathing suit and jumping in the pool.

I've always loved to swim laps. Never a big go in the pool just to be in it fan, but I love swimming laps. :love:

I've always loved to swim laps. Never a big go in the pool just to be in it fan, but I love swimming laps. :love:

You realize you're totally backwards and weird, right? :laugh:

You realize you're totally backwards and weird, right? :laugh:

I know. We got a pool with our house about a year before I left for college and was barely ever in it. Sad, isn't it?

I'm right there with you PP. I mean, ...what do you do in a pool...? Just like, float there?! :confused: I don't get it... I struggle at the beach too!!! :oops:

I'm right there with you PP. I mean, ...what do you do in a pool...? Just like, float there?! :confused: I don't get it... I struggle at the beach too!!! :oops:

I'm ok with the beach because I like waves. So I like being in wave pools, too. But besides that? I can talk outside the pool, too. :laugh:

Last edited:
Week 2 Day 1 is done. Not good at all. Maybe I'll do this week twice. And the guy whistling and yelling after me didn't make it any better either; just made me run faster and tire myself out faster. :scared:

Is it weird that I miss my bf the most after running? Or is it just that I'm too tired to smile? I'm always so upset about him being gone after it. :(

Those are really cute shirts btw, orca! :love:

And the guy whistling and yelling after me didn't make it any better either

I had one of those on tonight's run, too. Obnoxious. Next time you'll know not to speed up!

I'm sorry your run today didn't go super well. :(

I had one of those on tonight's run, too. Obnoxious. Next time you'll know not to speed up!

I'm sorry your run today didn't go super well. :(

I'd rather speed up and feel bad later, then have that guy after me. Athens isn't always the safest place when it gets darker.

OK guys, let's all try to get back in our routines for the start of the fall semester!! I have been inspired by having another week before orientation starts, as well as all the super-skinny undergrads at my pool, and I am trying to get my butt in gear to get in a routine that I can stick to even once classes start. Plus I haven't had my horse to ride (he gets here tomorrow!) so I've been trying to get to the gym. After all, there's a fitness center at my apartment. AND I want to be one of the hot girls at the pool. :D

What are your routines? I know a lot of people are doing C25K - I'm trying to increase my running ability and also get a really good strength routine. Currently I'm semi-following one T Nation's training plans for women, but tweaking it slightly to fit my abilities and equipment better. I also ordered an exercise ball to add to my workout.

Currently, my goals are to get to running for 30 minutes straight, and to get back into my favorite khakis (which means about 5-10lbs). I killed it on Sunday, and my upper thighs and butt were so sore I could hardly move yesterday! :eek:

I'm trying to get into the habit of doing C25K Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays, and I was thinking about trying Zumba Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Both of those would be at home. I wanna go to the gum on the weekend after work, depending on when is the best time for my brother to pick me up after work.

OK guys, let's all try to get back in our routines for the start of the fall semester!! I have been inspired by having another week before orientation starts, as well as all the super-skinny undergrads at my pool, and I am trying to get my butt in gear to get in a routine that I can stick to even once classes start. Plus I haven't had my horse to ride (he gets here tomorrow!) so I've been trying to get to the gym. After all, there's a fitness center at my apartment. AND I want to be one of the hot girls at the pool. :D

What are your routines? I know a lot of people are doing C25K - I'm trying to increase my running ability and also get a really good strength routine. Currently I'm semi-following one T Nation's training plans for women, but tweaking it slightly to fit my abilities and equipment better. I also ordered an exercise ball to add to my workout.

Currently, my goals are to get to running for 30 minutes straight, and to get back into my favorite khakis (which means about 5-10lbs). I killed it on Sunday, and my upper thighs and butt were so sore I could hardly move yesterday! :eek:
What are your equipment limitations?
I would highly recommend the New Rules Of Lifting for Women as an awesome strength routine, but it involves a little bit of equipment. http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women It's about 6 mo of workouts, stage 1 alone is pretty awesome, I just finished and was going to move on to 2 prior to learning I'm running a 1/2 marathon in 6 weeks.

I'm trying to get into the habit of doing C25K Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays, and I was thinking about trying Zumba Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Both of those would be at home. I wanna go to the gum on the weekend after work, depending on when is the best time for my brother to pick me up after work.

I miss Zumba!!! My birthday is in a few weeks and I told myself that if I get birthday money, I can spend it splurging on the expensive classes near my apartment. :love:. I have been told that I look like a happy puppy doing zumba dancing. LOL.

I'm just trying to run as much as possible. I haven't been allowed in the swim pool for the last few weeks b/c my gut is being stupid. But running is still ok!

I would love to try CrossFit but the gyms are so expensive! Students were saying that $150/month was reasonable for the local place. :eek: And I'm scared of doing the WOD alone in my apartment because I'm a complete beginner at strength training.

I miss Zumba!!! My birthday is in a few weeks and I told myself that if I get birthday money, I can spend it splurging on the expensive classes near my apartment. :love:. I have been told that I look like a happy puppy doing zumba dancing. LOL.

I'm just trying to run as much as possible. I haven't been allowed in the swim pool for the last few weeks b/c my gut is being stupid. But running is still ok!

I would love to try CrossFit but the gyms are so expensive! Students were saying that $150/month was reasonable for the local place. :eek: And I'm scared of doing the WOD alone in my apartment because I'm a complete beginner at strength training.

I do CrossFit several times a week. If you want, once I'm down in Philly we can do WODs together and I can help with form/etc. Oh! Also, usually CrossFit gyms let you come at least once for free to see if you like it. I think I read that the one in Philly lets you come up to three times for free to get the hang of it. That's a great way to at least learn some of the techniques. I'd double check with their website though. I could be mixing it up with the one in Illinois, Ok State or even Glasgow since I pretty much looked up the gym near every school I applied to.
And$150 is definitely reasonable for unlimited classes for a month. I pay $90 right now for a punch card of 10 classes. I was buying like two a month when I was going 4+ days a week earlier in the year.

As for my routine, right now, I'm doing CrossFit every day this week because it's a special week in honor of the working dogs KIA. But normally I do those classes like 3x a week and then I'm probably going to do running/elliptical or lighter weights the other days.

Last edited:
:( I haven't gone for a walk in a week. Got busy, and when I had time/want to go, it was raining(lots of lightening). Not walking this weekend either and DEFINITELY not running! I'll be doing enough walking as it is, anyways. 4 shifts for work this weekend PLUS the county fair. That's enough on my plate without having every muscle in my body ache the whole time. (already does from moving that wanker of a cow last night),

I have all of next week off :confused: Apparently, I didn't get scheduled at all. Super busy with work this last week, this weekend and the following week, but absolutely no work next week. Who schedules like that? And I can't even go on a trip to visit friends, because I'll have no money. Booooo

Oooo, tangent, sorry. So, basically, next week I will get back on track. :nod: And maybe I'll try to get a second job, and find a place to shadow. :idea:

What are your routines?

My routine disappeared spring and summer semesters (too many classes, too much personal drama, too little accountability to myself), but as of this week it's back: run 3-4 times/week, yoga at least twice a week, and ideally a spinning class or two, as well. Oh, and Pilates at my friend's studio if I can find the time. I do a lot better if I exercise almost every day... and I'm going to run the half marathon I'm registered for in November, so I need to get ready.

Also forgot that I will probably be adding yoga to the mix. A classmate's girlfriend wants to do a class for us like once a week for free!

My routine disappeared spring and summer semesters (too many classes, too much personal drama, too little accountability to myself), but as of this week it's back: run 3-4 times/week, yoga at least twice a week, and ideally a spinning class or two, as well. Oh, and Pilates at my friend's studio if I can find the time. I do a lot better if I exercise almost every day... and I'm going to run the half marathon I'm registered for in November, so I need to get ready.

Be my half buddy! Mine's in mid- September though :/

Be my half buddy! Mine's in mid- September though :/

Yeah, I have one in mid-September, too. I'm straight up not going to be ready for it. I might run a few miles and walk the rest, just to get the medal and the exercise, but it's going to be pathetic. It's the Rock n Roll HM in Philly. Which race are you doing?

A classmate just registered for that one. I really want to try a half marathon but I suck at sticking to a running schedule. Having a buddy would probably help me but not knowing how classes are going to be makes me nervous about making that commitment.

A classmate just registered for that one. I really want to try a half marathon but I suck at sticking to a running schedule. Having a buddy would probably help me but not knowing how classes are going to be makes me nervous about making that commitment.

I'm registered for a half in Savannah in early November. I haven't registered for Philly yet, and I haven't checked recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells out before I get around to it (the half--there'll be spots for the full, but I wouldn't be ready and the course kind of sucks). Last year I volunteered at a water station, which was fun, and I'd do that again if I don't run it.

I'm registered for a half in Savannah in early November. I haven't registered for Philly yet, and I haven't checked recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells out before I get around to it (the half--there'll be spots for the full, but I wouldn't be ready and the course kind of sucks). Last year I volunteered at a water station, which was fun, and I'd do that again if I don't run it.

Whoops! Not the same one then. Haha. So the course sucks??? Maybe I'll hold off then.