OT: Fitness 2.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whoops! Not the same one then. Haha. So the course sucks??? Maybe I'll hold off then.

The course for the half is good. Mostly flat, just one hill by the zoo that's really not that bad. Good course support, usually pleasantly cool weather. My issue is with the full. It takes you out to Manayunk via Kelly Drive, and then you u-turn on Main Street in Manayunk and head back to the art museum on Kelly Drive. It's > 10 miles on the same road. It's a pretty road, but at that point in the race I would not want to be on the same endless street.

Members don't see this ad.

The course for the half is good. Mostly flat, just one hill by the zoo that's really not that bad. Good course support, usually pleasantly cool weather. My issue is with the full. It takes you out to Manayunk via Kelly Drive, and then you u-turn on Main Street in Manayunk and head back to the art museum on Kelly Drive. It's > 10 miles on the same road. It's a pretty road, but at that point in the race I would not want to be on the same endless street.

Ah okay. Maybe I'll look into it then. I'm still super nervous. I haven't really ran more than 5 miles cause I start getting blisters on the bottom of my toes. Although, I'm probably due for new shoes soon so that might be part of the problem.

Ah okay. Maybe I'll look into it then. I'm still super nervous. I haven't really ran more than 5 miles cause I start getting blisters on the bottom of my toes. Although, I'm probably due for new shoes soon so that might be part of the problem.

My office manager/race buddy has had lots of blister issues, too. She's fiddled with the way she ties her shoes, the socks she wears, using Body Glide, etc. etc. etc. She's usually okay now up until 8 miles, and after that she just gets stubborn and powers through. She and I ran a half last year with her tearing up her feet and me with a calf cramping for 5 miles (because I might have run a different HM the weekend before... oopsies?). We're ridiculous.

You'll have at least four years to run one of the Philly HMs. No rush!

Members don't see this ad :)
My office manager/race buddy has had lots of blister issues, too. She's fiddled with the way she ties her shoes, the socks she wears, using Body Glide, etc. etc. etc. She's usually okay now up until 8 miles, and after that she just gets stubborn and powers through. She and I ran a half last year with her tearing up her feet and me with a calf cramping for 5 miles (because I might have run a different HM the weekend before... oopsies?). We're ridiculous.

You'll have at least four years to run one of the Philly HMs. No rush!

Haha. I feel like I've done a lot of that too. The shoes I currently own have resulted in the least amount of blisters so I'm definitely happy about that. My old pair of asics used to give me huge blisters on the arches of me feet. They might actually be a bit scarred from them.
I also overpronate so that already limits me to certain shoes.

Fine! I did my week 2 day 2 run! I didn't want to and did it anyway. I swear if I didn't go to the gym to run on the treadmill, I wouldn't have done it

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I told my friend about C25K and she wants to try it and said she'd run a 5k with me in a few months!

We're also gonna swim together and maybe bike together sometime to maybe do a triathlon next year! Woohoo for finding a workout buddy!

I'm doing the NorCal half in San Jose. I've never had a blister with my Nike Moto +8s but I underpronate so maybe that's part of it. I hear the injiinji toe socks are excellent for eliminating blister problems. Gonna get me a pair to try at some point.

Went for another run today - felt like I wanted to die when I got home. Didn't help that its the first day of my period either :( I feel like I should get extra fitocracy points for it though :laugh:

Feel better ABOUT myself for going, don't feel better FOR going! :laugh:

I'm doing the NorCal half in San Jose. I've never had a blister with my Nike Moto +8s but I underpronate so maybe that's part of it. I hear the injiinji toe socks are excellent for eliminating blister problems. Gonna get me a pair to try at some point.

I've had hot, sensitive, tired foot soles, but not blisters. I run in Asics Gel Cumulus. Every three pairs I go to the running store and try on 20 pairs of shoes, but these have always felt the best to me. I have a neutral gait and a need for cushioning. Obviously every foot is different. :)

Not directly related... but my college roomate just messaged me that she lost 40 lbs!!!!!!!! Super proud of her!!!! She started with a couch to 5k and kept running all the way to a half marathon!!!¡!!!!!!!!

Totally planned on taking a walk this morning. Got up.... it's raining! :mad: Not a gentle rain either. Walking in rain doesn't really scare me, but the lightening does! *sigh*

While I've been in San Diego, I've been walking to everything. To the convention center, from the convention center, to the zoo, to the various downtown areas. I ache so freaking much. There have to have been days (like at the zoo), where I walked for 6-8 hours of my day

While I've been in San Diego, I've been walking to everything. To the convention center, from the convention center, to the zoo, to the various downtown areas. I ache so freaking much. There have to have been days (like at the zoo), where I walked for 6-8 hours of my day

San Diego Zoo has those foot massage things. Loved those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have to push Week 3 Day 1 to tomorrow. PP is totally going to get ahead of me in the C25K

Orca passed me on the leader board for fitocracy!!

.... For a little while :smuggrin:

I gotta make some time in my 1/2 training to lift or my 30 point lead will slip again!

Big props to Orca for her Hero Week again :love:

Orca passed me on the leader board for fitocracy!!

.... For a little while :smuggrin:

I gotta make some time in my 1/2 training to lift or my 30 point lead will slip again!

Big props to Orca for her Hero Week again :love:

Thanks!!! The soreness is just starting to set in, especially in my hamstrings. They're super tight at the moment. I'm just so happy I made it through all 7 days. I actually got awarded a couple of free classes, a gift card to Dick's Sporting goods and one of the guys makes feathers for headdresses and made ones this year with a coyote or wolf (can't remember) tooth on it.

Today was brutal though. They were cooking bacon during our workout session and I wanted to puke every time I smelled it.

I majorly fail :( I demolished an entire pizza in 12 hours! :(:(

I majorly fail :( I demolished an entire pizza in 12 hours! :(:(

12 hours is not major fail. Major fail is doing so in <30 min.

My ankles hate me today. After yesterday's running I went to a pool party, where I maintained control of the deep end in a water fight by eggbeater-ing. It was well worth it, but ow!

12 hours is not major fail. Major fail is doing so in <30 min.

My ankles hate me today. After yesterday's running I went to a pool party, where I maintained control of the deep end in a water fight by eggbeater-ing. It was well worth it, but ow!

Condsidering it was a Pizza Hut specialty deep dish. I say major :laugh:

Crazy week/weekend is finally over! (I celebrated by getting drunk and eating pizza :thumbup:)

Now time to get back to my 'schedule'.

E: Calculated the pizza. It was 2650 calories and 120 fat! :eek: Not to mention breakfast and whatever I drank at work. Add in the 6 shots and multiple drinks, I don't even want to know what I ingested yesterday! But it was fun!:D

EE: Got a free blood pressure/heart rate screening at the county fair. 134/80 and 75 bpm. :eek: That's high for me. (I've always been right around 120/80) Although, working the extra hours last week and having worked 17 hours(awake for 24) prior to going to the fair might have skewed the results a bit. Yeah, I'm going with that.

Last edited:
Isn't running supposed to make me feel good? I feel miserable because I know I suck at it so much. :laugh:

Finished week 2 of c25k but am probably gonna do two more of those runs this week.

I'm now biking. Working on that triathlon, you know. :D

Finished week 2 of c25k but am probably gonna do two more of those runs this week.

I'm now biking. Working on that triathlon, you know. :D

I am still resting my ankle. It feels better today, but I don't want to test it yet.

I am still resting my ankle. It feels better today, but I don't want to test it yet.

I wouldn't risk it either!

I just scheduled a doctor's appointment for Thursday to look at my breathing problem and back pain. The breathing is almost back to normal, but I just wanna make sure. Back pain never goes away. Is it weird that I'm nervous to get that checked out? I just dealt with it the last years, but what if something is really really wrong? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it makes me nervous to find out.

Apparently I bike 4 miles to work. Good work out I guess. :laugh:

Going swimming after work with a friend and then maybe bike home? I kinda hope the bike could it in the back of her car. Haha

I have fallen behind! Last week I didn't run and I can't seem to get back into the mindset to do it. Sigh

I'm hoping my roommate wants to go to the gym again tonight. I don't wanna run outside.

And I don't think I'm ready for week 3 yet.

I am so fried right now. Not even sure whether I could safely walk downtown. What happened to youthful all-nighters?

Run planned tomorrow or Friday. Miss the lack of humidity in MN though.

Feel like I haven't posted on this thread in weeks....oh yeah! I haven't. :( Hurt my hip so badly dr. says it's gonna be 90 days to get it completely healed. I am allowed to swim (starting that back up Monday) and ride the ponies (cause dr. won't know ;)), but running/lifting/biking/etc. is completely off limits. So bummed 'cause I was really on a roll.

Stupid hip! :mad:

Is it bad that I already don't wanna do the C25K anymore? I don't have any way to go to the gym and just absolutely hate running outside.. :(

Is it bad that I already don't wanna do the C25K anymore? I don't have any way to go to the gym and just absolutely hate running outside.. :(

Nope...I understand exactly. I'm not sure we're all meant to be runners. ;)

I haven't done anything since August 12th in regard to working out. Starting to feel a little gross especially since all I've been doing is going out drinking with everyone from orientation. Definitely hitting the gym this week once classes start.

Nope...I understand exactly. I'm not sure we're all meant to be runners. ;)

I just really don't want to take Ivy into the strength and conditioning rooms and there aren't any treadmills anywhere else. If I take her home first, then by the time I'm back at the gym and done working out, there aren't any buses going anymore..

I just really don't want to take Ivy into the strength and conditioning rooms and there aren't any treadmills anywhere else. If I take her home first, then by the time I'm back at the gym and done working out, there aren't any buses going anymore..

Why not? She does so well everywhere else, I'd imagine she'd just lay there. :laugh:

Why not? She does so well everywhere else, I'd imagine she'd just lay there. :laugh:

There's a ton of machines and people and nowhere I could tie her. People always come up to pet her and she'd try to run off because she doesn't like that. So if no one was there, it's be fine. But there's always a lot of people who don't understand that they should leave the guide dogs alone.

I have been waaaaay too lazy with exercise and cleaning my house. Today, I am forcing myself to clean my ENTIRE kitchen :scared:(this may take hours), do ALL the laundry, and go for a walk. If I get 2 of those things done, I will be happy with myself.

217891_372524116154970_1239270765_n.jpg

I know this photo is of a guy from Iraq, who was injured in Iraq, lost his ability to walk, had over 15 surgeries and finally got to where he could walk again, and this picture was taken while he was trying to get his legs back stable and strengthen them back up. But it's still a funny picture!