OT: Fitness 2.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is C25K? I want in If it's fitness related!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You guys can totally do a 5k! You can even walk a 5k if you don't feel ready to run one!

I've done a few marathons and triathlons ... It's how I channel my type-A obsessiveness and manage migraines (plus my husband is a fitness freak)!! I believe there is a form of exercise out there for everyone! Embrace your inner athlete :)

Members don't see this ad :)
New challenge is up in Fitocracy!
Join now! It opens on October 1st!

What's the challenge? I fell off the map at Fitocracy over the summer and really should get back on there. A good challenge might give me the motivation I need!

Yay! I'm definitely in for this challenge! I've fallen off the wagon since my hip injury, and this might be exactly what I need to get motivated again. :)

Aww I was doing so well with Fitocracy. And then clinics started. And I haven't worked out in an embarrassingly long time. :( Now with studying for boards it's probably still going to be awhile.

Oh and hey! dsmoody still owes me a cup!!

Abs are finally back to normal, so I'm hoping to hit the gym after class today.
Super excited though. My mom got me a 20 lb kettlebell for my bday!!!

Restarting C25k while the weather is still nice here. Started W1D1 Monday. Now who would like to come to PEI and throw things at me so I go again tomorrow?

Restarting C25k while the weather is still nice here. Started W1D1 Monday. Now who would like to come to PEI and throw things at me so I go again tomorrow?

As much as I've always wanted to visit PEI, getting there in time is out of the question. But tell ya what, if I don't go for a run tomorrow (I gave my knee a good 10 day rest) I'm in trouble. So, I'll send vibes your way if you're willing to do the same!

Members don't see this ad :)
All right, LMMS, I went. Did you? ;)

Yep! Even though it was later than I would have liked, I knocked out a little over 4 miles. It felt really good to be out there again. Also, I finally broke down and got one of those knee bands for petellar support. Worked like a dream! Let me know if you need vibes sent again - this seems to have worked out quite nicely. :)

I cannot wait until Oct. 3rd. I will have enough money to finally get a gym membership! My joints hate walking in the cold(it's cold here now), I hate running anywhere/anytime and I don't do well with the home dvd's(too easy to quit). Gyms I can do. Elliptical and treadmill, I can do. Weight machines, I can do.

So excited to be able to fit in the other half of my closet by christmas!

Yep! Even though it was later than I would have liked, I knocked out a little over 4 miles. It felt really good to be out there again. Also, I finally broke down and got one of those knee bands for petellar support. Worked like a dream! Let me know if you need vibes sent again - this seems to have worked out quite nicely. :)

Next scheduled run is tomorrow! Finishing up Week 1. :D

Next scheduled run is tomorrow! Finishing up Week 1. :D

Vibes in the works!! :cool: I probably should go for a short run today. But I have a sore throat; so I'm not sure how I'll be feeling after work. Someone I share an office with is sick and if I caught it I'm going to hurt him big time. I cannot get sick. Repeat, cannot get sick! :mad:

Week 1 done. :D And I now have a snazzy phone with a snazzy running app so I don't have to constantly look at my watch.

:thumbup::thumbup: NICE work! Bring on week 2! Me? Throat still hurts big time so I ended up at the grocery store getting easy to swallow foods. At least it's a good excuse to eat ice cream. :D

I took September off (lets be honest, it was half of August too). I swear I am going to the gym today. I have to.

okay question - i am a few weeks into a c25k program and my ankles hurt. why the f* do my ankles hurt??? nothing else is sore, my ankles just feel weird and maybe a little unstable?? i have an excellent pair of shoes and concrete to run on, i'm just so confusedddd :confused: :shrug:

okay question - i am a few weeks into a c25k program and my ankles hurt. why the f* do my ankles hurt??? nothing else is sore, my ankles just feel weird and maybe a little unstable?? i have an excellent pair of shoes and concrete to run on, i'm just so confusedddd :confused: :shrug:

Try to find a running store that will analyze your gait. Same thing happened to me but I figured it was my crappy shoes. Nope - I was landing heel first (you should be landing mid foot first) and landing heel first was stopping my stride in half with my ankles taking the brunt of the stop. Also, make sure you're leaning slightly forward, not swinging your arms across your body (they should swing slightly back and forth), and make sure you are bending your knees (I wasn't doing this either, which put more stress on my ankles). Once I had my form corrected, the c25k program was much easier for me. I finished the c25k program a few weeks ago and am working on 10K training now.

When my ankles start to hurt now, I know my form is wrong. I slow down my pace or walk to reset it. If you can't find a good running store nearby, Runner's World is an excellent resource. Good luck!!! :luck:

Just seconding the whole going to a running store. I found our I overpronate by a lot when I run, so I can only wear shoes with really supportive arches or I get killer shin splints after a while. I'm actually starting to get them again because my current shoes are getting old.

Also, one time two summers ago, my one foot really started hurting for no apparent reason (and I had the appropriate shoes). I went to the athletic trainer at my high school, and he asked whether I ran in the street, on sidewalks, etc. I told him I sometimes ran in the street and he then asked if I only ran one side of the street, which I did. Turned out my one foot was sore because of the way roads angle upwards in the center and down towards the curb. Only running on the right side of the road, caused my left foot to become stretched out/sore since I never balanced out the pressure by running on the other side of the road. Something to keep in mind as well, in addition to shoes and form.

Also, I'm having a super difficult time getting a gym schedule set up...and it's really bothering me. I can tell I'm getting flabby and losing muscle mass and probably put on a couple pounds, which is adding to my stress level. And I know I should go because it will make me feel better, but it's hard to not feeling guilty about it when I have exams for the next two weeks.

This is a total rave, but belongs on this thread b/c you guys are one of the main reasons I started to run.

Just finished up a 5K and got my BEST time EVER! 35:47. I can't believe it! I'm so jazzed I'm still sitting in my car waiting for the high to wear off.

Thanks for all the motivation guys! :biglove:

Try to find a running store that will analyze your gait. Same thing happened to me but I figured it was my crappy shoes. Nope - I was landing heel first (you should be landing mid foot first) and landing heel first was stopping my stride in half with my ankles taking the brunt of the stop. Also, make sure you're leaning slightly forward, not swinging your arms across your body (they should swing slightly back and forth), and make sure you are bending your knees (I wasn't doing this either, which put more stress on my ankles). Once I had my form corrected, the c25k program was much easier for me. I finished the c25k program a few weeks ago and am working on 10K training now.

When my ankles start to hurt now, I know my form is wrong. I slow down my pace or walk to reset it. If you can't find a good running store nearby, Runner's World is an excellent resource. Good luck!!! :luck:

Just seconding the whole going to a running store. I found our I overpronate by a lot when I run, so I can only wear shoes with really supportive arches or I get killer shin splints after a while. I'm actually starting to get them again because my current shoes are getting old.

Also, one time two summers ago, my one foot really started hurting for no apparent reason (and I had the appropriate shoes). I went to the athletic trainer at my high school, and he asked whether I ran in the street, on sidewalks, etc. I told him I sometimes ran in the street and he then asked if I only ran one side of the street, which I did. Turned out my one foot was sore because of the way roads angle upwards in the center and down towards the curb. Only running on the right side of the road, caused my left foot to become stretched out/sore since I never balanced out the pressure by running on the other side of the road. Something to keep in mind as well, in addition to shoes and form.

wow thanks!! i had no idea that this was going to turn out to be so complex :rolleyes::laugh: i'm too far into this and addicted to quit, so i'm hobbling along feeling like an idiot. i will have to peek about on runners world (no running stores/trainers/etc on this island) and pay more attention to what i'm doing with my feet and body. on second thought, maybe i should just track town Kirani James! :laugh:

Alright. I am going to be good. I swear. Going to log stuff on fitocracy again and everything.

Anyone up for a new fitocracy challenge???

Finally had the weekend off, so I went for a run, a bike ride, and then a run today. It was awesome! I forgot how much I <3 endorphins!!!

Anyone up for a new fitocracy challenge???

Finally had the weekend off, so I went for a run, a bike ride, and then a run today. It was awesome! I forgot how much I <3 endorphins!!!

I am! Is Dsmoody only able to create them?

I have fallen so, so far off the wagon, but went to the gym today. I :love:endorphins too, why did I stop exercising?

Woo hoo!!! Thanks FTB.

I am basically doing my next 5K cold. So screwed
If it makes you feel better, I'm running a marathon next month and haven't properly traind since August :eek:.

26.2 bucket list miles of torture :laugh:

Sorry I haven't been back to Fitocracy. I logged on a couple of weeks back and all the changes scared the living you-know-what out of me and it appears that I would have to set up most of my account from scratch again - something I'm just to lazy to do right now.

Now, quick question which is basically for Box, but if anyone else has insight I'll take it...

I'm in the final weeks of training for my 1/2... The race is Sunday the 18th of November. :scared: Right now, I'm training my body to rise early on Sundays and run without the aid of breakfast because I need at least 2 hours between eating and running and downright refuse to get out of bed before 5am on race day. Anyway, I did a nice long run (10+ miles) at pace today and feel pretty good even after doing housework. But, I'm wondering, is it good for me to do active recovery tomorrow such as swimming or biking OR should I rest completely tomorrow and give my muscles a break? Perhaps I should add that I'm working next weekend which is going to throw off my usual schedule for this coming week. Thanks!! :D

If it makes you feel better, I'm running a marathon next month and haven't properly traind since August :eek:.

$10 says you lap me!!

I think I also have the ability to create challenges, but I haven't tried yet so I'm not 100% sure.

I'm still really upset that I've fallen off the wagon because of school. I was hoping to get back into a routine this past weekend since I have a week until my next exam, but I have an almost constant cough that gets worse with any sort of activity. I died walking back from dinner last night to my apartment. Like unable to breathe, coughing so much. I'm finally caving and going to attempt to get into the health services to make sure I don't have bronchitis or something so I can back into shape.

I miss exercising...

I haven't been to the gym since before my last 5K, that was September 1st..... At least this is a mud run. Obstacles guarantee not a whole lot of running.

Sorry I haven't been back to Fitocracy. I logged on a couple of weeks back and all the changes scared the living you-know-what out of me and it appears that I would have to set up most of my account from scratch again - something I'm just to lazy to do right now.

Now, quick question which is basically for Box, but if anyone else has insight I'll take it...

I'm in the final weeks of training for my 1/2... The race is Sunday the 18th of November. :scared: Right now, I'm training my body to rise early on Sundays and run without the aid of breakfast because I need at least 2 hours between eating and running and downright refuse to get out of bed before 5am on race day. Anyway, I did a nice long run (10+ miles) at pace today and feel pretty good even after doing housework. But, I'm wondering, is it good for me to do active recovery tomorrow such as swimming or biking OR should I rest completely tomorrow and give my muscles a break? Perhaps I should add that I'm working next weekend which is going to throw off my usual schedule for this coming week. Thanks!! :D

I know this is late now :( sorry I missed it! But my rule is two weeks of taper-like activity. If you are feeling good after a 10-miler go ahead and do active recovery. Never push recovery- if you feel crappy you can stop early. (that's for me at least. If I push it I bonk on my next run) I often feel great same day after a run but have less stamina the next day.
When you hit two weeks out from race (Sun, Nov. 4) you should start easing the active recovery and focus on the last big runs before taper.

I don't do well on a full stomach either. Do you eat anything during the run? I believe in gels. I went through three in my 1/2. One at start, one at mile 8, and one with caffeine (lol me and coffee) at mile 10. If you do ok without them you are fine that way. I use them because I need some fuel and can't eat solids pre-race.

If your 10 went fine maybe just pack one for late in the race if you think it'd help.

Above all, as you taught me: run for you, not the clock, not other's expectations. Go out there to finish it. I know you will rock it!

Those looking for a fitocracy challenge: I will be setting one up tonight to run Friday-Friday unless anyone has a better time suggestions. This way everyone has time to join it. It will be free for all and I plann on running weekly challenges thru mid-December at least.

I know this is late now :( sorry I missed it! But my rule is two weeks of taper-like activity. If you are feeling good after a 10-miler go ahead and do active recovery. Never push recovery- if you feel crappy you can stop early. (that's for me at least. If I push it I bonk on my next run) I often feel great same day after a run but have less stamina the next day.
When you hit two weeks out from race (Sun, Nov. 4) you should start easing the active recovery and focus on the last big runs before taper.

I don't do well on a full stomach either. Do you eat anything during the run? I believe in gels. I went through three in my 1/2. One at start, one at mile 8, and one with caffeine (lol me and coffee) at mile 10. If you do ok without them you are fine that way. I use them because I need some fuel and can't eat solids pre-race.

If your 10 went fine maybe just pack one for late in the race if you think it'd help.

Above all, as you taught me: run for you, not the clock, not other's expectations. Go out there to finish it. I know you will rock it!

Hiya - No worries. Monday turned out to be a bit of a 'hell' day at work so I ended up getting plenty of exercise on the floor squatting and lifting. Thankfully I didn't end up with any issues. Yay.

And yeah, my schedule has me starting to taper starting the week of the 4th. I'm going to cut back on my mileage, swim and maybe do yoga but that's it - gotta save my knee from getting any worse... I think my meniscus tear may have gotten just a bit worse this past week. I foresee an MRI in my holiday season plans along with a good lecture from my orthopedist. Thank goodness baseball season is over - he's so much more even keeled when he's not running back and forth to the training room (yes, my doc is doc to the 'stars' of the MLB and I really do dig that!!). But I digress...

And oh my, yes!! Gel is my BEST friend. My director got me a couple when I was training for my 10 miler last spring because she swears by the stuff during her long distance bike races. Love the stuff and have been using the caffeine ones for a while now - they ROCK!! I just need to use a little more when I don't eat because I burn through it much quicker and tend to cramp up a touch.

Finally, thanks for the vote of confidence!! As long as I make it over the finish line in an upright position, I will consider it a victory.

I'm going hiking Friday :) first day off from both school and work this semester, so I don't wanna think about school at all (helps that I only have a German test next week. Not too worried about that. Haha). Day away for me and Ivy. :)

I WILL start running tomorrow.

I have an interview for a second job tomorrow(nothing great, just working at a bar part time). Was trying on my few pairs of dress pants to see what I wanted to wear tomorrow. NONE OF THEM FIT. :eek: I've GAINED WEIGHT! Weighed myself tonight, I have now touched 200 lbs. :cry: That's 10-15 lbs in the last 2 months. How the hell did that happen and how have I not noticed until now? I haven't been eating worse than I normally do, in fact I've been eating healthier food, my job is physical with being on my feet all day and moving around. :mad:

I have no idea what I am going to wear tomorrow now. Hopefully my jean skirt still fits. I just don't have the heart to try it on right now.

Even the jeans I was wearing yesterday, feel tight tonight. :confused: Wish I could lose 15 lbs overnight.

:cry::cry::cry:

I figured with the advent of the new year I would revive the fitness thread and see who else wants to join me!

What with the first semester of vet school and a sick horse, I sort of stopped making time to exercise. Add in late nights of studying, complete with considerably more takeout than is ideal, and it's safe to say I'm up a size in jeans. I don't know about you all, but I could use some peer pressure to make sure I'm getting myself to work out.

I had 2 days of riding boot camp with my old trainer in Cleveland in break, and today I went for a 3 mile walk outside because it was absolutely gorgeous weather. :thumbup:

Yes, I am so glad this thread exists! I definitely need to get off my butt and get back in shape. I was on my university's crew team for four years so I was in really good shape, but I was not on the team this past semester. With all the stress of applying to vet school and finishing my last semester of undergrad, I never made time to work out. Now I'm gaining weight and definitely losing a lot of the fitness I had before. Now that I've graduated and have a little more free time on my hands, I'm hoping to get back in the habit of working out on a regular basis.

Started my campaign to get back in shape today: a bit over an hour of walking, and then lifting some light free weights. Starting simple and small, hopefully that will help me stick with it!

Good luck everyone else starting out! We can do it!

I failed at going to the gym today...I'm using the excuse of being sore from going the other day....

Think I might join a bunch of classmates and do a Zombie5k race in April. Sounds like it would be a fun time.

Many health/food videos on Netflix right now! Some are VERY good and interesting. :thumbup: Under the 'Documentaries' section.