OT: Fitness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dsmoody23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see if there's any interest in a SDN / pre-vet http://www.fitocracy.com group for the spring.

If you're not familiar, it's a workout tracker that gives points and levels and other competitive crap for each exercise you log. If there's one thing we all love on this board, it's pursuing functionally meaningless awards and accolades.

I've been lazy as hell this month and need to get back on track, fitness wise. Competing with a bunch of type A achievement ****** is probably the fastest way to make that happen.

Take a look and drop a note if interested.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be!

Trying to start running again so I can do a 10k when it gets warm enough for some races. I work out regularly anyway, so it would be fun to have a little extra push!

Nothing like public shame to make you work harder. :D

Heck yes! Currently just finished my first of 20 weeks of training for half-marathon in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heck yes! Currently just finished my first of 20 weeks of training for half-marathon in May.

I was going to say that this is like the Couch to 5K crew all grown up. :) Knew you'd be down, fo sho!

I posted in the Rave Here thread that I have found a partner and got myself a gym membership. I am also full of angst from my ex that I am using towards pushing myself at the gym. I may be up for the friendly competition. I had wanted to do Coach to 5k but with winter having set in, it would have to be done on a treadmill.

I posted in the Rave Here thread that I have found a partner and got myself a gym membership. I am also full of angst from my ex that I am using towards pushing myself at the gym. I may be up for the friendly competition. I had wanted to do Coach to 5k but with winter having set in, it would have to be done on a treadmill.

All of my training will be done on a treadmill until it gets warmer out. I ran outside today because it was a littler warmer out, but you sure as heck won't find me running out in the snow!

It looks like the point system accommodates pretty much every type of exercise there is.

So, the runners can compete with the weightlifters and the yoga weirdos, etc.

But, good. I'll set up a group and link it here.

It looks like the point system accommodates pretty much every type of exercise there is.

So, the runners can compete with the weightlifters and the yoga weirdos, etc.

But, good. I'll set up a group and link it here.

You gonna give us invites, too?

Question... do the yoga weirdos get the same number of points for doing like 2 chattarangas or whatever, as say, something like ... running 5 miles? Because that doesn't seem fair. :(

I'd be interested. I've been going to CrossFit classes since July but have been slacking a little bit lately since it's the winter. Cold weather makes me sleepy. So this could be a little extra push to help me get back to going more than like twice a week.

Last edited:
All of my training will be done on a treadmill until it gets warmer out. I ran outside today because it was a littler warmer out, but you sure as heck won't find me running out in the snow!

It's not completely awful, except you can't tell what's underneath it, and if it's deep you have extra cold feet! I do prefer summer mornings though - relatively nice weather and a reason to be up early in the morning.

I have been slacking as well, but went running two times last week, and have plans to go again tomorrow.

It's not completely awful, except you can't tell what's underneath it, and if it's deep you have extra cold feet! I do prefer summer mornings though - relatively nice weather and a reason to be up early in the morning.

I have been slacking as well, but went running two times last week, and have plans to go again tomorrow.

You're a better woman than I am-it was more the air that got me. My lungs were burning by the end of my run!

You gonna give us invites, too?

Question... do the yoga weirdos get the same number of points for doing like 2 chattarangas or whatever, as say, something like ... running 5 miles? Because that doesn't seem fair. :(

Here's the link it gave me. http://ftcy.co/y4z1eh

Once you sign up, either search for me (dsmoody23) or the group in the 'group' tab (SDN pre-vet).

As for the points, it looks like they scale for difficulty. As in, you run faster or for longer, you get more points. Or, more weight on a more difficult lift gets more points than 5lb dumbbell curls.

It looks like an hour of yoga is approximately equal to 30 minutes on a treadmill at a reasonable pace. That seems fair-ish.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a better woman than I am-it was more the air that got me. My lungs were burning by the end of my run!

Yeah, you're right, the lungs do start burning. I was definitely complaining about that the other day ;)

I'd be interested. I've been going to CrossFit classes since July but have been slacking a little bit lately since it's the winter. Cold weather makes me sleepy. So this could be a little extra push to help me get back to going more than like twice a week.

Oof. Crossfit is serious business.

I spent about six months on that program, but got pretty demoralized by the end and switched to standard weightlifting.

Some days, you just want to do normal exercise. Not throw up.

Were I a slightly younger man...

Oooh this looks so fun!

I wonder how many points it will give me for riding my horse tomorrow...?

edit: I just added a ride from last week to see... I got a lot of points for a fairly lazy ride. Bam. Gonna smoke you all.

Oooh this looks so fun!

edit: I just added a ride from last week to see... I got a lot of points for a fairly lazy ride. Bam. Gonna smoke you all.

Dammit. You're already beating me.

Push ups. Now.

Oooh this looks so fun!

Haha. I totally want to add workouts from right before New Year's cause it was Hero week, which is when each work out of the day is dedicated in memory of some one who died while on duty. They tend to be really brutal work outs. I'm kinda curious how many points they are.

This is perfect! I don't like working out with people in real life (unless their as un-fit as me), but can't motivate myself to go on my own either.
Woot woot! :D

I like this whole competition/leaderboard thing. I just went through the list of quests to see if there was any way I could get some bonus points. Totally busted out some crunches to move up the leaderboard :laugh:

i like this whole competition/leaderboard thing. I just went through the list of quests to see if there was any way i could get some bonus points. Totally busted out some crunches to move up the leaderboard :laugh:

bitch.

Eh. I'm too lazy right now. Plus I have a 12 pound cat lying on my chest. Ill start tomorrow.

i refereed 5 games and had a 1.25 hour intense practice this weekend. next weekend i play 4 games and referee 5. it's onnnn

(reffing is more skating than playing is tbh)

Don't worry, I didn't pass you. Nyanko sure did. Damn girl! So does walking from my car, up some stairs to class count as a workout? :smuggrin:

Well. I can't argue with that. Hmph.

Hey there mdmfyikl!

dsmoody23 invited you to join the SDN Pre-Vet group on Fitocracy!

I am from now on to be referred to as "madam fickle," please! :laugh:

Will sign up tomorrow. Will then promptly ignore it, I'm going to predict.

This is going to be difficult for me to log.
I did reps on "easy" machines. You sit down, adjust the resistance from 1-10 and then do what the woman is doing in the diagram. I have no idea what weights they equal to. :p.
The gym has the LifeFitness Circuit Series. I do not even know how to make an educated guess on how much I was lifting.

Last edited:
I don't get it... how many points do I get for doing an extended butterfly, or a shoulder mount? How about a hot cherry?... :(

I don't get it... how many points do I get for doing an extended butterfly, or a shoulder mount? How about a hot cherry?... :(

Pole dancing is totally in the select-able exercises.

Pole dancing is totally in the select-able exercises.

I'm still trying to figure this out... i'm so conufsed. And holy f*ck its 36 C , I was sliding off the pole today so I stopped to watch Shrek 2.

That's the phrase you want on your tombstone.

Seconded.

I am so excited to be whipped by Nyanko. Where can I learn some hockey...?

I'm in!

Basically, I just need someone to blow up my phone TELLING my arse to get to the gym. I've totally put fitness on the back burner since the start of last semester. Ugh.

Aw, it says all invites are used up. :(

Once you have more, I'd love to get in on this. Went ahead and submitted my email, so hopefully I can join you guys soon.

Husband and I have been saying since Thanksgiving that once the new year rolls around (aka, less holiday food available), we'll get into eating healthily/working out on a more regular basis.

As you see we are already 9 days in...and I have yet to work out.

Motivation!!

Aw, it says all invites are used up. :(

Once you have more, I'd love to get in on this. Went ahead and submitted my email, so hopefully I can join you guys soon.

Husband and I have been saying since Thanksgiving that once the new year rolls around (aka, less holiday food available), we'll get into eating healthily/working out on a more regular basis.

As you see we are already 9 days in...and I have yet to work out.

Motivation!!

Hmmm. Can any of you other guys get an invite link?

I clicked the "Invite Others" button, and it popped up saying "Invite your followers...", but all my followers are already in the group. So if someone wants to 'follow' me (Velaineil), I can send an invite and hope it works!

Hittin' up the gym today! :D

I clicked the link, it said all invites we're used, so I just signed up anyway. Once you have an account, just search groups for SDN and you can join.

Totally ready to do this. I'm fluffier than I'd like to be.

I attempted the fitocracy thing a while back, but that fizzled for me. Right now, my SO and I are doing the hundred pushup challange: http://www.hundredpushups.com
I started without being able to do ONE real pushup. After a week, I can do like 5 at a time. It only takes 10 mins a day. We're also doing the sit up challange. Fun to do together at home, you don't need a gym membership, and you can do it in your pjs. :thumbup:

this thread only reminds me of what a fattie i am :(

i used to be a size 2/4 in high school and now i'm a size 6 if i'm lucky :thumbdown:

maybe this thread will give me the motivation i need to start working out again? the apartment complex i live in has a gym...with an elliptical...i can't do the treadmill because it makes my knees and ankles die and get angry at me.

this thread only reminds me of what a fattie i am :(

i used to be a size 2/4 in high school and now i'm a size 6 if i'm lucky :thumbdown:

maybe this thread will give me the motivation i need to start working out again? the apartment complex i live in has a gym...with an elliptical...i can't do the treadmill because it makes my knees and ankles die and get angry at me.

Hush up, yo- I wish I was a 6! :hungover:

Hush up, yo- I wish I was a 6! :hungover:

if only you could see my arm flab, muffin top, and pooch belly :(

I NEED WORKOUT MOTIVATION! (as i'm currently watching TV, drinking coffee, and getting ready to eat something REALLY unhealthy)

if only you could see my arm flab, muffin top, and pooch belly :(

I NEED WORKOUT MOTIVATION! (as i'm currently watching TV, drinking coffee, and getting ready to eat something REALLY unhealthy)

I have it too... :(
BUT- WE CAN DO IT!!! :D

Um: can I join? I'm a yoga weirdo with dance, parkour, hiking, etc.....and some insane endurance. I promise to try and keep track of my exercise. (Note: TRY). But yeah, I'm down for being fit! (I started going hardcore in November and saw some good results). Let's do this :D

I'd love to join as well! I worked out super hard all summer because I was going to Vegas for my 30th in September, and I looked and felt great. But then last quarter was AWFUL, then the holidays came, and I've gained it all back plus some extra. Ugh.

I can't run (osteoarthritis in both knees, yay) or do crossfit (I went with my husband once and seriously thought I was going to die. About six times), but I looooove spinning! And I plan on adding weight lifting for my upper body.

But... does anyone have any invite codes? I entered my e-mail, but of course it's not open to the public yet.

This sounds great - I am in :) I know I have been saying it for a while, but I want to do a 10k this spring - no more excuses!

ETA: I used this link I Googled to allow me to sign up and then searched for the SDN group :ftcy.co/lhFAoW

Last edited: