OT: Fitness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OH YEAH PROTEIN SHAKE!!
protein.jpg

Isn't this Dsmoody's avatar thing

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MEMES :biglove:

Today, I feel slightly unmotivated because my eyes are being sissies and burning like heck. I'll spend some time exercising with my eyes closed and see what happens. Or stop blinking to avoid the irritating jolts of pain.

....let's just hope I don't trip.

Does anyone else find exercising/working out with glasses frustrating? Working out without my eyesight might not be as inhibiting as first thought!

Does anyone else find exercising/working out with glasses frustrating? Working out without my eyesight might not be as inhibiting as first thought!

Just another reason I love my lasik! I used to hate trying to run in glasses. I got lasik a few years ago. Best decision EVER!

I'm just glad I won't be around the hockey stank. I have a friend on the Davis Club hockey team and the fumes from those boys after a game is killer. Gross.

I'll use my shake weight all weekend. That should be equivalent, right?

Those actually give you negative points. I felt like checking one time since my mom got one for Christmas.

Yes, I am fortunate enough to only have -2.0 as my worst eye, so I take my glasses off before I head to the gym. If I wait another month I can finally get new contacts thru my insurance. This will make fencing easier.

Anyone see the South Park episode about shake weights?
*snerk* yup

Can someone send me an invite. I really need some motivation after gaining 40lbs since my freshman year. I feel like an oozy lump! I've started doing Insanity (though not every day) and my bf got me an exercise game for the kinect whisch is really fun. Now I just need some friendly competition to shed some pounds.

Oh and I can't work out with glasses on. They get too fogged up. My eyesight is -4.0 though so I am blind as a bat without contacts. I can just imagine how many bruises I would get if I tried!

At least yours is not a -8.5. I win

My vision is 20/40 in my good eye... with glasses.

It's a lose/lose, so I just take them off when I run. I'd trip anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)

Out of idle curiosity, what can you see? I've leveled out at -5.75 in both eyes (for awhile my right one was like a runaway freight train. My left eye wanted it to slow down). Now they're close enough that I can only see blurs out of both eyes. YAY!

then again, temporary sorta blindness moderates me. whenever I get too comfortable with my sight, I take out my contacts. wearing glasses (or going without them) is a good lesson in humility. at least for me;) In fact, I tend to fall over things a lot more frequently when I wear my glasses. the floor rises to meet me. All kinds of weird stuff........:p

My vision is 20/40 in my good eye... with glasses.

It's a lose/lose, so I just take them off when I run. I'd trip anyway.

I close my eyes when I run anyway (AT THE GYM). I don't like when people fix their peepers on me. It creeps me out.......:laugh: Otherwise, I go with sunglasses and a rainbow wardrobe.

I can send anyone who doesn't have one an invite, I just need your email. (You can PM it if you want) but it probably wont be till tomorrow. 11pm here right now and headed to bed :p You can also google Fitocracy invite code and you can probably find one that works too if you are impatient like I was :)

Out of idle curiosity, what can you see? I've leveled out at -5.75 in both eyes (for awhile my right one was like a runaway freight train. My left eye wanted it to slow down). Now they're close enough that I can only see blurs out of both eyes. YAY!

then again, temporary sorta blindness moderates me. whenever I get too comfortable with my sight, I take out my contacts. wearing glasses (or going without them) is a good lesson in humility. at least for me;) In fact, I tend to fall over things a lot more frequently when I wear my glasses. the floor rises to meet me. All kinds of weird stuff........:p

Pretty much NOTHING. I wear contacts all the time, and I also have very thick glasses. Sometimes my eyes really water at the end of the day so I have to wear my glasses at night instead of contacts But they have stayed this prescription for 2-3 years so I believe they wont get any worse. My Opth really freaks me out when he says "you have horrible eyesight me-lady!". No poop, Sherlock.

Finally got motivated enough to start back! Spinning class yesterday and today, plus some extra upper body today. Man, it's amazing how easy it is to lose it but how hard it is to get it back...

By the way, my username on Fitocracy is BlackMaus.

Pretty much NOTHING. I wear contacts all the time, and I also have very thick glasses. Sometimes my eyes really water at the end of the day so I have to wear my glasses at night instead of contacts But they have stayed this prescription for 2-3 years so I believe they wont get any worse. My Opth really freaks me out when he says "you have horrible eyesight me-lady!". No poop, Sherlock.

EEEP! :( I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Last year my opth told me I had "chronic dry eyes. Here are some magic one day contact lenses." :laugh: I've mentioned elsewhere that I wore my glasses a lot during that period of time. Til they broke (the screw came loose on the one side ;)). Then it was back to the ol' drawing board. Oye, mis ojos..... currently, I always panic when I open my eyes and I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. Then I realize I haven't fallen asleep with my eyewear on again. And I stumble around looking where I threw my glasses this time..... if I actually fell asleep after taking them off, I still sometimes can't find them anyways. :sigh:

It's 9am on a Saturday. I'm doing cardio this morning. :p.

Can't find "violent stomach flu" in the activities list. This site sucks.

I sliced a chunk of my left middle finger off in repro anatomy lab on Friday and have this gelfoam crap on my hand and have had to have it bandaged this weekend.

So far I've reffed 2 games and played in 3 games with cut-off fingers from nitrile gloves over the bandaged finger. Getting sick of having to explain to people how I sliced a chunk of finger off in the lab where we learn about various mammalian penises and testicles and their associated anatomical structures. ;)

My contacts are -8.25 R and, wait for it... -8.75 L. But, I have to wear 8.0 & 8.5 b/c they don't make 1/4s once you're up that high.

**Ding!** **Ding!** We may have a new 'winner'. If I didn't know there was an E at the top of the chart I would get a' zero' every time. ;) One cool thing though... If I take off my glasses, my vision for small things in front of my face is amazing. I can litterally the specks of the fibers in paper if I get close enough.

on the subject of eye problems - i have keratoconus and my vision can no longer be measured on the same scale or corrected with glasses, but the last time they ATTEMPTED the refractive machine thing on them they came up with -10 something.

So far the bright side of it has been that my insurance pays in full for really expensive contact lenses because they are medically necessary. (one's a scleral rigid gas permeable and the other is a corneal RGP)

on the subject of eye problems - i have keratoconus and my vision can no longer be measured on the same scale or corrected with glasses, but the last time they ATTEMPTED the refractive machine thing on them they came up with -10 something.

So far the bright side of it has been that my insurance pays in full for really expensive contact lenses because they are medically necessary. (one's a scleral rigid gas permeable and the other is a corneal RGP)

352hdo.jpg

:bow: Eep! RGP lenses? You have my sympathies. I'm sooo glad that they figured out how to make soft lenses for higher scripts... I wasn't able to wear contacts until I was 22 b/c my eyes were 'incompatable' with the GP lenses of the time. Here's hoping they've gotten better!

PS - So exactly how did you manage to slice your finger off? Preoccupied? Or perhaps wowed by the subject at hand? ;)

Yeah, I have to wear RGPs too.

If you like having callouses on your eyelids, they're NBD.

There's usually an xkcd comic for every occassion.

In fitness news... I think the New Years Resolutions people are dropping off. The fitness center has been decidedly less crowded lately.

Bleh, not at our school gym! We started classes two weeks ago, but the undergrads are just getting back at the rec center is OVER RUN.

Grumpy Breenie.

If they have "sitting" as an activity, sex should be on there!
I used an exercise/food tracker many moons ago and I am pretty sure sex was on there. :p.

I know you were going on about brosephs (or however you spell it). Is there a term for an entitled chick who likes to mess people up? I ranted about this on Fitocracy a little.

There is a room filled with weight machines that are easy to use. You start at one machine and move from machine to machine in a counter-clockwise direction. I was in there for a while by myself, moving from machine to machine and writing down my progress.

A girl enters, throws her jacket on the machine that I AM NEXT IN LINE TO USE, and starts working out. By the time she gets seated, I am done using my machine but I can't move on in order because she is on the machine I am supposed to go to next. So I move up 2 machines to give her some room if she happens to be quicker than me. When she finishes, she hops across the room to a different machine. The machine I am set to use next would put me within like 2 feet of the girl, so once again, I had to by-pass her. When she is done, she goes back to one of the machines I had to skip the first time. Once she is finished, I head over to that machine and realized she left her jacket on it. It was incredibly annoying. I ended up with 2 reps on some machines and none on some when I gave up. How hard is it to use the equipment IN ORDER and to give me some space??? Would it appropriate for me to speak up the next time something like this happens?

Are you supposed to use them in a certain order...? The gyms I've been at had no requirements about machine protocol (other than be polite, considerate, and not disgusting when using the machines).

I know that's how places like Curves work, but I didn't know that was a thing at other places? I thought you got free reign to go where you wanted.

What a c***! If it happens again, you can either tell her that she should share the circuit b/c her ass ain't that special or... you can simply take her jacket and smother her with it. Oh yes, I'm in a gem of a mood. Will be ranting once I can get to my computer & use all my fingers to type.

Are you supposed to use them in a certain order...? The gyms I've been at had no requirements about machine protocol (other than be polite, considerate, and not disgusting when using the machines).

Yeah, that's how it works at ours. If it's not in use, use it. If there is, wait. We don't all have the same routine, after all.

I know that's how places like Curves work, but I didn't know that was a thing at other places? I thought you got free reign to go where you wanted.

There is ONE room in the gym that works this way. It is filled with the circuit series equipment. There is a note posted that says something about moving around the room in this direction and be respectful of other people. There are also arrows on the wall that tell you what machine to use next.

The regular room with the normal machines does not work like that. It is first come first serve. I am not confident enough to go in there until I have had my orientation. I want to be shown how to properly use the equipment first. :p.

This girl (she must have been 16) was either incredibly fit or was doing it incorrectly. She did not play around with the resistence and did her reps like 25x the speed that I did mine. It was like watching the female Flash work out.

There is ONE room in the gym that works this way. It is filled with the circuit series equipment. There is a note posted that says something about moving around the room in this direction and be respectful of other people. There are also arrows on the wall that tell you what machine to use next.

The regular room with the normal machines does not work like that. It is first come first serve. I am not confident enough to go in there until I have had my orientation. I want to be shown how to properly use the equipment first. :p.

This girl (she must have been 16) was either incredibly fit or was doing it incorrectly. She did not play around with the resistence and did her reps like 25x the speed that I did mine. It was like watching the female Flash work out.

Hm! We don't have a room like that. I feel like it would not work well with a clientele of almost exclusively college students.

Oink oink oink...

But anyway, bummer about that! :(

Is there a running from one room to the other trying to see 30 pets by yourself with only 2 techs activity? Or a standing in surgery removing all of a dog's mammary glands activity?

It has been a rough few weeks at work

In that case...
f404e9be-f84d-4cd3-aa16-9577a36285c5.jpg

(The "you" being the chick, not you. :laugh: Just in case that needed saying.)

I'm changing it up a bit this week. Some friends and I are heading to some of the fitness classes UPEI offers. First up is kettlebells tomorrow, and then a skipping based one on Wednesday.

Is there a running from one room to the other trying to see 30 pets by yourself with only 2 techs activity? Or a standing in surgery removing all of a dog's mammary glands activity?

It has been a rough few weeks at work

Sorry, no... I've checked. Ditto on the rough. Hang tough!

On the sex as a workout front, I think they lay off of it for certain reasons. Possibly because many boyfriends/fiances/husbands will have hurt man-feelings after you log sex: 3 min.

On the sex as a workout front, I think they lay off of it for certain reasons. Possibly because many boyfriends/fiances/husbands will have hurt man-feelings after you log sex: 3 min.

My first comment was going to be "Or because the nerdcore among us have less sex to log." And then I realized that is a stereotype, and an inaccurate one. My current thoughts- "Our minds would be blown by the crazy and inventive positions, along with the sheer volume of sex out there, thus, better to not log it..."

My first comment was going to be "Or because the nerdcore among us have less sex to log." And then I realized that is a stereotype, and an inaccurate one. My current thoughts- "Our minds would be blown by the crazy and inventive positions, along with the sheer volume of sex out there, thus, better to not log it..."

images

On the contrary, nerds are total freaks in the sheets. Although I learned bringing flash cards to the "no pants party" is a deal breaker....