OT: Fitness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the contrary, nerds are total freaks in the sheets. Although I learned bringing flash cards to the "no pants party" is a deal breaker....

haha WOW this thread has taken quite an interesting turn...:corny:

Members don't see this ad.

b/c her ass ain't that special or... you can simply take her jacket and smother her with it.
I think if I didn't feel this way at least once at my undergrad gym...I wasn't feeling just right;) I sought the gym out at the MOST obscure times just to avoid anti-workout aka sitting on the floor waiting for a machine to open (then having someone jump the line. After rendezvousing at the machine, said person gives you the "you were waiting? I just got here so...DIBS.") Oh, and when the school athletes start training on the machines aka taking over the gym at prime gym time? I began to train in the rain for better effects.

It was like watching the female Flash work out.
This visual made me giggle. :biglove:

Although I learned bringing flash cards to the "no pants party" is a deal breaker....
:laugh: This is hilarious. I'd always be smuggling textbooks everywhere. "You know we're supposed to be going on a date, right?" "Well, this is for free time." "Don't you want to be doing other things in our free time?" ".....not really, no." Thank goodness that finally ended.

Lovin' the meme as well of course. Had a sort-of related conversation with a co-worker about such things the other day. Apparently I am quote-unquote a weirdo. Thought that had been established at least....for my whole life. :laugh:

In a minor grumble about working out: I wants a pool or to live next to some body of water. Even though it's undeniably frizzling outside....I'd be playing in the water. If I could have what I really wanted, my house would come with a pool and a sauna. Dear undergrad, I miss your gym. Especially the NEW, SHINY, BRIGHT one that was open this past fall/summer. As soon as I graduated. :laugh:

On the sex as a workout front, I think they lay off of it for certain reasons. Possibly because many boyfriends/fiances/husbands will have hurt man-feelings after you log sex: 3 min.
:laugh:

"It's not quality, it's quantity!"

I've wished so many times that I could get journal articles read aloud on an ipod, so I could multitask and listen to them driving, working out, in bed.... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes, it is really hard not to think about the fact that you can draw and label the male anatomy or about the fertilization video from the 80s that they made you watch twice since high school... where they showed real footage of the sperm and the journey to the egg (haha, some sperm get confused and try to fertilize body cells!)... when doing the deed... :scared:.

Spend half a day at the gym?
Yes. To remove all the frustration and feelings of betrayal by colleagues. and a bit of jealousy at those with multiple acceptances (I am happy for all y'all, just can't hide the green monster with all the other stuff going on) and feelings of personal failure and inadequacy.... the list goes on and I really just want to go beat the crap out of stuff.

Yes. To remove all the frustration and feelings of betrayal by colleagues. and a bit of jealousy at those with multiple acceptances (I am happy for all y'all, just can't hide the green monster with all the other stuff going on) and feelings of personal failure and inadequacy.... the list goes on and I really just want to go beat the crap out of stuff.

Know how you feel. Take it out on that iron. :)

OK, so I literally walked in to a pole last night, knee first. Just had to put that out there.

Who won the challenge? I was going to put some plank work in but after the knee thing..

FTB: are you okay? Poles. Every time I consider installing one....I decide against it. I know the workout points would be insane but....they hurt. When I swing around them in the street (.....not pole-dancing....), it's fine. When I bang into them with my limbs....not so much......

.............so, the other day I was at work. And my co-worker yelled at me for mentioning planks. And then I heard the word etymology thingamabob. So, I have become a ninja yogi. Since....I'm tired of being scolded. :wtf:

Last edited:
FTB: are you okay? Poles. Every time I consider installing one....I decide against it. I know the workout points would be insane but....they hurt. When I swing around them in the street (.....not pole-dancing....), it's fine. When I bang into them with my limbs....not so much......
Yeah, I did the whole "everything feels fine I'll walk home... 2hrs later I tried to bend down to get something out of a cupboard and my knee was like HECK NO I'm all swelled up!" I took a good soak last night and it's feeling fine so far this morning. I am all covered in bruises though, between this incident and the fencing I did over the weekend I look like I've been abused.

And it wasn't a pole dancing pole, it was a handicapped parking pole. I was checking fitocracy on my cell phone on my way to the grocery store and I failed my perception check. I could have sworn the pole was another foot to my left.
.............so, the other day I was at work. And my co-worker yelled at me for mentioning planks. And then I heard the word etymology thingamabob. So, I have become a ninja yogi. Since....I'm tired of being scolded. :wtf:
Wait, planks, etymology I'm confused? Why was she yelling?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so I literally walked in to a pole last night, knee first. Just had to put that out there.

Who won the challenge? I was going to put some plank work in but after the knee thing..

Gretsky won.

RackMultipart.24330.0_display_image.jpg

You and I pretty much tied for second. I did some pull ups at the end that pushed me over the top, but it was after midnight, so I'm not sure why it counted. Then Kay-"the ab"-dubs in 4th.

The final scores are archived on there somewhere. They should be visible when the new one starts tonight.

Wicked fun, though, across the board.

no motivation yesterday.

Today's not lookin' so hot either.

no motivation yesterday.

Today's not lookin' so hot either.

I always get hung up at the 'getting dressed' phase of exercise.

If that hurdle gets jumped, I generally end up doing at least ... something.

If you just put on the shoes and workout clothes, you'll feel pretty ridiculous taking them off without doing anything.

If you just put on the shoes and workout clothes, you'll feel pretty ridiculous taking them off without doing anything.

You know, that's actually really good advice.

Ditto to this. I can only count a handful of times when I've sat on my ass in my workout gear eating potato chips and watching the price is right.

Ditto to this. I can only count a handful of times when I've sat on my ass in my workout gear eating potato chips and watching the price is right.

Doing it right now. Except the potato chips are crackers, and the price is right is you guys. :p

I found an invite and signed up :) I'm exhausted today though, I think I'm going to go take a nap...

I did sign up for a tennis leisure class this morning though!

is everyone else putting ... *everything* to get points? I was going to log walking for work (bar tending) but I dont effing know how many *** I walked, and sometimes I stood, and sometimes I danced... (human jukebox... so. much. fun.).. :(

is everyone else putting ... *everything* to get points? I was going to log walking for work (bar tending) but I dont effing know how many *** I walked, and sometimes I stood, and sometimes I danced... (human jukebox... so. much. fun.).. :(
You don't have to give *** for secondary (on the job) walking, just a # of hours. I log things that get my heart rate up, and I walk really quickly when I'm walking to the gym (it's my warm up) and to catch the bus because I'm usually late.

So I guess, yeah, it varies who logs what, but I think it norms stuff out, since LMMS might be on her feet back and forth between departments and lifting stuff at work, whereas I sit or stand at a computer and I am legally not allowed to leave the room without relief and I can't leave the building when on breaks.
ETA: I also get lazy with looking things up or trying to remember everything I did at the gym, and I don't spend time wracking my brain over those points.

You don't have to give *** for secondary (on the job) walking, just a # of hours. I log things that get my heart rate up, and I walk really quickly when I'm walking to the gym (it's my warm up) and to catch the bus because I'm usually late.

So I guess, yeah, it varies who logs what, but I think it norms stuff out, since LMMS might be on her feet back and forth between departments and lifting stuff at work, whereas I sit or stand at a computer and I am legally not allowed to leave the room without relief and I can't leave the building when on breaks.
ETA: I also get lazy with looking things up or trying to remember everything I did at the gym, and I don't spend time wracking my brain over those points.

Righto okay thanks... i'm still figuring out how to find **** on there ... since I only really do 2 'activities' lol. ANd yeah I wasn't gonna go all crazy and freak out, but everyone here is really into it, so I started feeling like the emo kid in the back of the class that just draws pictures of bleeding roses. :p

I've been logging pretty much anything that's out of my normal routine.

Not so much for walking at work and random dog lifting / wrestling. But when the prescription food comes in, and I have to unload that crap for about an hour, I'll probably log that. Or if I take my dogs out for a walk longer than the standard trip around the neighborhood.

I think anything is fair game as long as it feels like exercise to you. If you skip the elevator and take the stairs... exercise. If you skip the bus and walk to work... exercise.

If you count your steps while making ten different trips to the snack machine at work... probably not exercise.

The Mizzou first year class is doing it, and we agreed that if it's something not all of us are doing regularly, like walking up the 102839083409248392 million stairs to the school from the parking lot, then you can count it.

We also have a very strict enforcer. :)

(Not me. Seriously.)

Guys, I may have done something stupid.

I just signed up to run the Baker-to-Vegas police relay.
Whoo not sure if I'm excited or crazy.

I think it's fantastic!

I've decided to run the Columbus 1/2 marathon this year, even though I'm an hour north of Philly; I want to run somewhere FLAT, damnit! I can't run more than a slow 5 miles, so it's going to be a challenge!

go FTB!

In celebration of this new challenge......I may have to just.......go for a LONG trek tomorrow. I might map the other part of my valley tomorrow. On foot. Maintaining balance by toe-ing the paint lines!

thanks for the new nickname, dsmoody. It made my day better!

Last edited:
I'm really loving the free fitness classes at school. They're really varied, nice mixes of strength and cardio. I like someone telling me "This many more", "Keep going, this much longer", stuff like that. Plus the classes use exercises I'd never think about in a million years. :laugh: I look up exercises on the net, get to the gym and then think "Uh, what was that again?" It's just so much easier to have someone in front of me demonstrating it.

Taking a rest today. I'll hit the gym hard tomorrow for the beginning of the new challenge!

I'm really loving the free fitness classes at school. They're really varied, nice mixes of strength and cardio. I like someone telling me "This many more", "Keep going, this much longer", stuff like that. Plus the classes use exercises I'd never think about in a million years. :laugh: I look up exercises on the net, get to the gym and then think "Uh, what was that again?" It's just so much easier to have someone in front of me demonstrating it.

Seriously. That's why I love my CrossFit classes. If I go to the gym on my own, I'm not nearly as motivated. We have two guys who lead the classes and one is a Marine veteran due to a neurodegenerative condition and is wheel-chair bound. He hand cycles like a bajillion miles a day and will do Hero Week work outs right along side you (which is a week of really, really intense work outs in honor of men who fell serving the country). You can't help to be motivated/inspired when he's there. Plus he's tough. If people keep messing up, you run or do extra sets or time restarts in a circuit series. The other leader is just as tough too and made us all do push ups cause a new person came to class like 3 minutes late.

I am so zapped from the last two nights and now having to keep myself awake so I can get up at the ass crack of dawn to go back tomorrow that I'm starting to wonder if sleeping while standing up is considered exercise... Holding my own body weight up while unconscious has to count for something, no? :sleep:

I am so zapped from the last two nights and now having to keep myself awake so I can get up at the ass crack of dawn to go back tomorrow that I'm starting to wonder if sleeping while standing up is considered exercise... Holding my own body weight up while unconscious has to count for something, no? :sleep:

Rocking out those slow twitch postural muscles.

Oh yeah.

Box - that's priceless! :roflcopter:

In other news, 'ran' my bestest 5K ever after work today... 36:56! I'll log it into Fitocracy once I'm home and can handle fighting the site on my phone. I'll check out the challenge too... Nan kickin' keister again? Hopefully I'll be up for the next one.

Ran on the track at school instead of the treadmill... the damn gym is STILL packed, and I couldn't get a machine.

Having to dodge walkers and dawdlers kicked my ass into gear! I ran ~9min miles. Only two of them, but still, that is DAMN SPEEDY for a Breenie. :)

I choose to be proud of my distant 10th place...

I couldn't go to hockey practice last night because we had some clin path homework due this morning at 9 that was literally sprung on us yesterday morning and I had class all day long yesterday so I had to do it last night.

:( :(

So not even competitive right now. BF forgot the gear for fencing last night, I had jst finished a 12 and had no motivation to wear stinky loaner stuff. So there goes ~1200 points. I have a scheduled run for my training plan today though, gonna make that happen 12 hours from now. URGH I miss exercise.

I could barely move my arms all day due to my last two work outs. Tying back my hair and putting a scrub top on were almost impossible. So glad I didn't have to wrestle any particularly large dogs today at work. They actually hurt enough to keep me up last night...totally thought I was waking up with Rhabdo and was going to have to miss work to go to the hospital. I think I'll be taking a break until like Sunday unless I somehow feel amazing tomorrow morning.

Second week of the point challenge is done.

Congrats to Sooprnova for crushing the spirits of all other competitors.

1st place Sooprnova 4226
2nd place dsmoody23 3416
3rd place hungrylkthewolf 2408
4th place nyanko80 2400
5. orca2011 2307
6. CorporateFatCat 2285
7. Trematode 2209
8. kaydubs 1557
9. fromthebox 1465
10. packen 1171
11. Velaineil 339
12. dyachei 199

Starting fresh again tonight at midnight, so feel free to join up if you haven't yet.