OT: Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancerFutureDPT

Academic Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So as of March 4th I get kicked off my parent's awesome health insurance (happy 23rd birthday to me!). Because of the way my dad's insurance is, it's done through the airline union so it doesn't matter that I'm a full time student, etc. Cobra is also not an option - it's ridiculously expensive.

So all of you guys who are still covered by your parents plans, this is not a question for you (and you're very lucky you're still covered!)

but the rest of you who are not on an employer or parent plan, where did you get your health insurance from?

It seems like I can get some decent deals through my alumni association (better than what it looks like I can get if I just call up Blue Cross or United Healthcare and ask for an individual plan), but I'm not totally sure what to expect/what is considered "good" (which is sad considering I work with insurance companies daily at my job).

I know there's also student health insurance for PT students (like mine would be through Aetna and run about $200/month), which has decent coverage, but a lot of hoops to jump through for pretty much anything that isn't an ER visit (lots of referrals, waiting periods, etc.). I don't know if I should just sign up for the cheapest plan through the alumni group now and then switch to Aetna student health when I start school in August, or if I should just do a good plan from the alumni association and never get student health, or do something else.

I've done a lot of research but it's gotten me nowhere. I thought I found a good plan, but then it turns out my PCP doesn't take Humana - not a big deal if I'm switching to Aetna in 5 months, but if I don't switch then that's bad.

I'm also not one who goes to the doctor a lot - maybe once a year for an exam (which isn't covered by most insurances anyway), and then only if I have an ortho issue....but since I don't plan on being in PT while in school, I can live without that. I just need it because schools require you are covered, and in case I get hit by a car or something (knock on wood).

I guess what I want to know is what is considered a good rate, what's a rip off, etc. (Like UHC has a plan that is $10,000 deductible, office visits are never covered, and even after deductible there's still 20% co-insurance...that sounds like a pretty crappy deal, even though it's only $43/month. That seems like it's the equivalent of catastrophe insurance).

How much are you all paying per month/what is your deductible/co-insurance/copays/etc?

Members don't see this ad.

How much are you all paying per month/what is your deductible/co-insurance/copays/etc?

Is the $200/month you quoted for student insurance through the particular school you are going to or just general student insurance? If/when you you've decided where you will be going, contact the school directly to see what sort of plans they have set up. I don't use it, but the student plan here is roughly $1300/year (that's MUCH less than $200/month), and the copays for all the routine things are $25. Other schools may not have such sweet deals, but it's worth looking into with your school.

I'm 27 and have bought my insurance independently for years. I've never found a group (alumni, etc) that is any cheaper than what I can find on my own. Of course, that being said what I've purchased on my own is pretty awful so go ahead and lower your standards.
Living in Chicago, Aetna was the best of the worst choice as far as including a yearly visit before hitting the deductible (premiums about $90-$120/mo) I think I recall at your age. I used ehealthinsurance.com for my search although it's been a few years since, so I can only assume it's still a good source.
In North Carolina, I switched to BCBS (and am older now) and pay $140/mo. for a high deductible plan that is really only catastrophic coverage.
The insurance I will be getting as a student at Duke is similar in price to what I pay now, but I'm assuming it will be better coverage.