OT: how many of you have no cab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiphoid2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Damn it, how do you edit the title? Not "cab" but "cable"!

Got rid of cable almost a year ago, so far can't say I miss it much. $35/mo for 15megabit/sec cable internet. $9/mo for netflix. But the real key was XBMC -- stream just about everything for free. Pretty happy with the results. Why pay $100/mo for 195/200 channels that you don't watch?

For those who don't know XBMC, check out XBMC.org. I use fusion zip. There are plenty of YouTube tutorials on how to set it up. There are many way to run XBMC, the simplest being a PC or laptop connected to a TV. But I rigged a custom box with a remote.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I haven't had cable going on 3 years now. During a visit, my friend signed me into his Netflix and Hulu plus account and saved the info so I have both of those for free and I'm a big amazon shopper so I have Prime.

Plus I know where to go on the internet to get my Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Homeland, and my other shows at for free. :shifty:

I got rid of my cable 5 years ago. I only miss HBO but now you can get it online. Don't miss my cable at all.

I probably would have kept my cable if I was living on an Indian reservation or something. But I live in a nice city with a lot of things to do. Don't want to waste my time watching TV.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't had cable going on 3 years now. During a visit, my friend signed me into his Netflix and Hulu plus account and saved the info so I have both of those for free and I'm a big amazon shopper so I have Prime.
LPP
Plus I know where to go on the internet to get my Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Homeland, and my other shows at for free. :shifty:

Got Netflix (my son is addicted to the kids stuff on there), and amazon prime is something I got as well but I felt its selection was limited compared to Netflix, and doesn't even come close to XBMC. Hell, I even got Chinese over-the-top fantasy kongfu mini-series for the win!

I have thought about cutting the cord many times, but as a college basketball fan and football fan. I can't do it. There is something about watching sports live. I grew up watching college basketball with my dad. It is another way to us to connect during the season.

I'm a "cord-never." When I lived with my parents I wasn't really a big tv watcher anyway, mostly just ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC network stuff. I have a pair of rabbit ears that pulls in a beautiful signal for those stations, so never really felt the need to get cable. During school I made use of the library's dvd collection and binge-watched a few series, but now that I'm out of school I share a Netflix account with some friends for that purpose.

I got rid of my cable 5 years ago. I only miss HBO but now you can get it online. Don't miss my cable at all.

I probably would have kept my cable if I was living on an Indian reservation or something. But I live in a nice city with a lot of things to do. Don't want to waste my time watching TV.

zinggggggggggggg!

Have no cable since 18. I am now 30 yo...

Piratebay, Netflix, privatetracker, and internet are all I need.

i got rid of TV 5 years ago
computer with internet is all I need
also it saves space in your place

i got rid of TV 5 years ago
computer with internet is all I need
also it saves space in your place

Last year, I upgraded my 28 inch monitor to 50 inch LED in my room, hooked up to a laptop. Once you go big, you can't go back. PS4, Wireless keyboard, wireless mouse on a bed. Will never look back. Tho, I don't play as much as I want anymore. It is pretty awesome while I lay on the bed, streaming all movies, watching all 1080p pirated movies I want >_>;

I got rid of cable in ~2006 and then after finishing residency, getting my first paycheck, and going, "what the hell is all this??" I dove back in.

Now I happily subsidize my unemployed friends' HBO/Showtime habits.

Thinking about cutting the cord again as my promo pricing expires...but the real value is the DVR and on demand, I never watch anything live and I programmed my remote to fast forward through commercials (can't do that on hulu plus).

I pay like $100/mo right now, decent I internet only would run me ~$50. I'm not gonna notice $600 a year...except as I type this out, maybe I will notice it now. Damn it.

No Cable. Have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Stream Netflix to TV via Chromecast.

I've had it for only the last two years of my life because internet only options from providers were more expensive. It's wholly unnecessary for the tech-savvy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't had cable since high school.

I download everything worth watching.

I haven't had cable since I moved out of my parent's house. I can't say I miss it much. Netflix, Hulu, and EZTV. I stream any downloaded content from my desktop to my living room tv via the windows media player app for xbox. I am thinking about cutting Hulu... doesn't really seem to be pulling its weight anymore, but 7.99/month is not bad. I also bought a $10 UHF/VHF receiver on amazon to get local news in the AM.

The only time I miss cable is during sporting events. But I'm not the type to watch the game alone at home anyway.

I have thought about cutting the cord many times, but as a college basketball fan and football fan. I can't do it. There is something about watching sports live. I grew up watching college basketball with my dad. It is another way to us to connect during the season.
you can grab rabbit ears and get the networks, if I could get ESPN without cable I would do it in a heartbeat -

I don't have a cab or cable. Haha. Had satellite for many years, but over time nobody in the family was watching it, my children would rather watch DVD's. So I dropped it 2 years ago, and haven't missed it a bit. I do have Netflix & Amazon Prime, mostly my children watch children's shows on it, once in a great while I might watch a movie. My family is just too busy to watch my TV, and we'd all rather do video games instead of TV.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't watch ESPN, but there is a repo for it in XBMC that might worth a look. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:ESPN_3

Wonder if cable TV will go the way of newspaper... with instant video content free or nearly free, I find it hard to justify how they can charge $100+/mo for stuff filled with commercials.

Didn't have cable for a good 15 years, then graduated and got own place. Unfortunately they price internet alone so close to internet+cable TV that I opted for both. And guess what? They still play the same freaking crap as they did 15 years ago. Who has seen Tremors 50 times?

Don't watch ESPN, but there is a repo for it in XBMC that might worth a look. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:ESPN_3

Wonder if cable TV will go the way of newspaper... with instant video content free or nearly free, I find it hard to justify how they can charge $100+/mo for stuff filled with commercials.

TV. Some people like to be handed stuff to watch. Not knowing what they want and like. Just sit and browse passively wasting time on crappy random entertainment, falling asleep/doing chores with random TV as a back ground noise, and ads as an excuse to get up and do something in between.

Compare that to Netflix, or downloading a movie where you know what want, you pick what you want.

We "need" it for the live sports as well. And the DVR. We hardly ever channel surf. My kid uses my Amazon prime more than I do.

If I could somehow stream HD live sports, I would drop cable in a second.