OT Jobs As Non-OTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! This is almost a foolish question but I've noticed that a number of people here have jobs as OT techs. I'm just curious, do you have to have a degree or certificate for that? I've volunteered/shadowed before but to be able to work in that field prior to applying for grad schools would be a dream come true. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Where I work, no sort of degree or certification is required. All of our techs are university students, the majority of which are prospective applicants for MOT programs. Some places might prefer someone with schooling or a background in a related field, but as far as I know, all you need is a high school diploma or its equivalent.

Thank you Proto! This gives me hope! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to find jobs as OT tech? It is really hard to find one in NJ...

Hey, so for me I just typed in google "Occupational therapy rehabilitation aide jobs in (what every city your in). My job popped up as an option. I applied twice and finally got an offer. I have been working as a rehab aide for 2 years...I'm done now that I am in school. BEST thing I could have done. I have learned SOOOO much from my job. Thats my advice on getting a rehab tech/aide job.

Does anyone know how to find jobs as OT tech? It is really hard to find one in NJ...

I got mine through volunteering, in an area where there are no OT aide jobs advertised.