OT: Looking for portable blue tooth speaker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Momus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying Bose Soundlink Mini, UE Boom, or UE mini Boom. Coz... retail store music is just crap. The phone speaker is weak and it's not gonna cut it for me. What do you have?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a Jawbone Jambox since I had a $100 best buy gift cert, and they price matched Amazon's $91 price in store.

The Bose is nice, but I can't justify the extra $100. I'm not an audiophile, FYI.

I got a Jawbone Jambox since I had a $100 best buy gift cert, and they price matched Amazon's $91 price in store.

The Bose is nice, but I can't justify the extra $100. I'm not an audiophile, FYI.
You got the mini or the original?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops...got the mini. The other speaker at that price point ($100) was a Sony but was twice as fat, so form factor-wise this was not bad. The in-store demo was pretty spot on with how it behaves at home, but remember the material the demo display is made out of tends to reflect sound waves pretty well.

Wow I didn't even look at reviews, the mini jambox has glowing reviews on amazon.

I have the Soundlink Mini that I leave at home, and it sounds really good. I read a ton of reviews before deciding to buy it. I also have an Urge Basics Soundbrick that I leave at work. It sounds pretty decent, and my co-workers love it.

I have the Soundlink Mini that I leave at home, and it sounds really good. I read a ton of reviews before deciding to buy it. I also have an Urge Basics Soundbrick that I leave at work. It sounds pretty decent, and my co-workers love it.

I just got an original Jawbone Jambox from Ebay for $30 (using sniper bid - bidding the last 5 secs before it closed), I think it's a good price (avg sold for $50 used) but I am gonna resell it at Craigslist soon (after reviewing other portable devices.)

I debating on Soundlink mini vs. UE Boom. More towards UE Boom since it has long battery life, water resistant and does not need stand alone charger (just a regular micro usb charger). The low/bass in Soundlink mini sounds awesome. The clarity of mid/high on UE boom is better, not as muffled as Soundlink Mini.

I listen mostly to pop, hiphop, and soft rock. I think UE boom will serve me well but dang, deep bass on Soundlink mini sound good too. I wish there was a portable speaker that combines these two strength and make an ultimate portable speaker: good low, mid, high, micro usb charger, rugged/water resistant, long battery life -_-;

Right now these 2 go on for ~$170-200. I am using Jambox temporarily, I might wait a little bit until there is a deal for them...

I like the Bose Sound Dock (full size not the new mini). I think it was a few hundred bucks.

I have the Logitech mini boombox. Has good sound, good battery life. $70 on amazon now. Only problem is with a lot of bass it will rattle itself off the counter.

AquaAudio cube for the shower. Battery life isnt that great but it connects super fast and sounds pretty good for $20

I am against buying refurbished electronics. The hassle is not worth it.

I have nothing but great exp on refurb item. Practically recertified new. Pretty much most my electronics are from ebay used or refurb from deal sites such as woot.com/slick deal. Never have a problem with them. I like value. Won't pay full price ever.

Reactions: 2 users
I have nothing but great exp on refurb item. Practically recertified new. Pretty much most my electronics are from ebay used or refurb from deal sites such as woot.com/slick deal. Never have a problem with them. I like value. Won't pay full price ever.

I agree I'm not really sure what hassle there is in buying refurbished electronics I've had nothing but good experiences

Reactions: 1 user
The UE boom arrived today. It sounds awesome. I compare it side to side with the old Jambox, and it wins hands down. More clear, not as muffled, it gets really loud, 360' room filling speaker. It costs a lot more tho -_-; Got the Jambox for $30 Ebay vs. $150. Selling the Jambox today for $50 at Ebay... I left the UE boom in the pharmacy, my coworkers are all happy using it. We are playing Anaconda by Nicki Minaj, and Shake it off by Taylor Swift when there is a customer picking up scripts. The customer was like turn that sh1t up! >_>;

so I am stupid when it comes to electronics - I need a simple speaker for my Kindle - I am pretty sure it needs to be blue tooth (don't see a typical audio port) - I want a small one to travel with, doesn't ahve to sound great, was hoping to spend less than $50 or so

so I am stupid when it comes to electronics - I need a simple speaker for my Kindle - I am pretty sure it needs to be blue tooth (don't see a typical audio port) - I want a small one to travel with, doesn't ahve to sound great, was hoping to spend less than $50 or so

During my review selection to narrow down UE Boom, UE mini boom has a premium sound for small speaker but higher price. If you just want something cheap and decent, go with Oontz.