OT: Moar Phast, Moar Phurious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I always thought it would be cool to experience a blizzard. I've seen small snow storms like one time I spent New Year's in DC, but nothing serious like an actual blizzard. It is frustrating when you can't leave your house though. If a hurricane is bad sometimes you can't leave for 2 days and then the electricity goes out and makes it even worse. lol I'm assuming that happens with blizzards too because the power lines freeze over right?

Yea everything freezes over. Its fun for kids cause hills + ice = super slide! Sucks for adults with responsibilities haha. We had a fireplace we used from time to time but it was only useful if you sat next to it.

Members don't see this ad.

I always thought it would be cool to experience a blizzard. I've seen small snow storms like one time I spent New Year's in DC, but nothing serious like an actual blizzard. It is frustrating when you can't leave your house though. If a hurricane is bad sometimes you can't leave for 2 days and then the electricity goes out and makes it even worse. lol I'm assuming that happens with blizzards too because the power lines freeze over right?

The power lines don't freeze over, usually its problems with transformers or something falling on a line or station and causing short.

Blizzards are not cool. trust me.

The last blizzard I was in was during Hurricane Andrew; it was fun for me but I was only a kid back then :p 1992 ... so longgggggggg ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, by time it reached the north-east it was just a whole lot of wind and snow+ice. Would it still be called a hurricane up there? I'm not too familiar with the naming schemes ... to me: hurricane = excessive wind+rain, blizzard = excessive wind+snow

The last blizzard I was in was during Hurricane Andrew; it was fun for me but I was only a kid back then :p 1992 ... so longgggggggg ago!

I'm confused. lol Andrew was in August 92... so there was a blizzard in August? I was in kindergarten back then so I remember a lot of families moving south to my hometown because the South Miami/Homestead/Cutler Ridge area was basically wiped.

Well, by time it reached the north-east it was just a whole lot of wind and snow+ice. Would it still be called a hurricane up there? I'm not too familiar with the naming schemes ... to me: hurricane = excessive wind+rain, blizzard = excessive wind+snow

You sure you got the right time frame and you're not thinkin' of the Halloween blizzard of '91?

I'm confused. lol Andrew was in August 92... so there was a blizzard in August? I was in kindergarten back then so I remember a lot of families moving south to my hometown because the South Miami/Homestead/Cutler Ridge area was basically wiped.

I guess it takes time for all that moisture and stuff to move northwards? Everything on the news that Nov was about Hurricane Andrew and the incoming blizzard.

Oooooooooor I'm a total goof and messed up the years. Maybe it was the blizzard of 1996. Just looked up the weather in the northeast for the past 20 years ... :oops:

The Blizzard of 1996 was a severe nor'easter that paralyzed the U.S. East Coast with up to 4 feet (1.2 m) of wind-driven snow from January 1 to January 8, 1996.
edit: I think maybe I saw them talking about past hurricanes and Hurricane Andrew was mentioned ... silly me.

blizzards? hurricanes? what are those??? lol :D

I know what a dust storm is- you can't see **** in front of you and when the dirt gets into your eyes, forget it. I know what flash floods and droughts are. Snow...pffff. I haven't got a clue :)

I guess it takes time for all that moisture and stuff to move northwards? Everything on the news that Nov was about Hurricane Andrew and the incoming blizzard.

It only takes a few days to head north and dissipate due to the colder water temps/etc...

From NOAA.gov

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One of the most destructive United States hurricanes of record started modestly as a tropical wave that emerged from the west coast of Africa on August 14. The wave spawned a tropical depression on August 16, which became Tropical Storm Andrew the next day. Further development was slow, as the west-northwestward moving Andrew encountered an unfavorable upper-level trough. Indeed, the storm almost dissipated on August 20 due to vertical wind shear. By August 21, Andrew was midway between Bermuda and Puerto Rico and turning westward into a more favorable environment. Rapid strengthening occurred, with Andrew reaching hurricane strength on the 22nd and Category 4 status on the 23rd. After briefly weakening over the Bahamas, Andrew regained Category 4 status as it blasted its way across south Florida on August 24. The hurricane continued westward into the Gulf of Mexico where it gradually turned northward. This motion brought Andrew to the central Louisiana coast on August 26 as a Category 3 hurricane. Andrew then turned northeastward, eventually merging with a frontal system over the Mid-Atlantic states on August 28.".......

It will definitely bring nasty weather to the north, but only within the immediate week.

I think the October/November storm is the one Phathead was talking about.

Wilma was the only recent major hurricane that struck in late October 2005 (around the 28th I think) and it was pushed into a loop shaped path from a strong cold front that came through south Florida the next day... so on top of having 2+ feet of water in our homes and no electric it was chilly outside. lol

That might be the one you're thinking of??? Not sure where the remnants headed after it hit us though.

blizzards? hurricanes? what are those??? lol :D

I know what a dust storm is- you can't see **** in front of you and when the dirt gets into your eyes, forget it. I know what flash floods and droughts are. Snow...pffff. I haven't got a clue :)

I'll take a dust storm over a blizzard any day

Blizzard>Dust storm>Hurricane>Tornado>Earthquake

Hey at least you get to play in the snow before you break your back shoveling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wilma was the only recent major hurricane that struck in late October 2005 (around the 28th I think) and it was pushed into a loop shaped path from a strong cold front that came through south Florida the next day... so on top of having 2+ feet of water in our homes and no electric it was chilly outside. lol

That might be the one you're thinking of??? Not sure where the remnants headed after it hit us though.

I haven't lived in the north-east since 1997. It was a blizzard before 97, apparently after hurricane andrew since hurricane andrew was mentioned on TV a lot. Some time inbetween 92-97 :confused:

A quick look at weather history indicates either 95 or 96.

I haven't lived in the north-east since 1997. It was a blizzard before 97, apparently after hurricane andrew since hurricane andrew was mentioned on TV a lot. Some time inbetween 92-97 :confused:

You're talkin about the big noreaster. I remember hearing about it on TV when I was about ten, so that time frame fits

Yup, the blizzard of 95-96... this year the DC area broke all of those totals. I remember that well though..I played in the snow for weeks.

Yup, the blizzard of 95-96... this year the DC area broke all of those totals. I remember that well though..I played in the snow for weeks.

Same here. We had winter break, then what seemed like an endless amount of snow days ... which we had to make up at the end of the year!

So did you have to wear warm Halloween costumes up north to go trick or treating? lol

Same here. We had winter break, then what seemed like an endless amount of snow days ... which we had to make up at the end of the year!

They added 15 or 30 minutes onto the end of every school day in my district. Better than losing spring break or summer days IMO.

Last blizzard I was in. The pics are only from the first few hours

44952324.jpg

32005660.jpg

By the next morning the snow was piled up over the handle of the back door and you could hardly see the car on the street there. Lasted about 3 days... good times

I MADE my parents take me trick or treating that day. We got something like 24+ inches of snow, but I threw a fit.

Freakin' cleaned up that year, I had like a garbage bag of candy

haha That's awesome... omg Halloween is the best! I would die if I missed it when I was younger... it was my favorite holiday besides Christmas (not just for the presents, but Christmas was always fun for me... we would have like 2 weeks of non stop food awesomeness). lol

I was an actual garbage can for Halloween one year. I insisted on sitting in an actual can from home depot and making my dad push me around.

I was weird.

haha That's awesome... omg Halloween is the best! I would die if I missed it when I was younger... it was my favorite holiday besides Christmas (not just for the presents, but Christmas was always fun for me... we would have like 2 weeks of non stop food awesomeness). lol

I was an actual garbage can for Halloween one year. I insisted on sitting in an actual can from home depot and making my dad push me around.

I was weird.

:roflcopter:

What happened to Passion4Sci and all those lurkers he brought out of hiding?

What happened to Passion4Sci and all those lurkers he brought out of hiding?

He probably works or spends time with his wife or does something productive during the day. Kind of the opposite of what I'm doing today. lol

He probably works or spends time with his wife or does something productive during the day. Kind of the opposite of what I'm doing today. lol

Haha same. My post count seems to pick up when studying for midterms... not really logical. :confused:

btw, Tink - have you met bob?

I am at work torturing my coworkers with the album "Madonna - Celebration" which is a two disc set of all her best songs. Finally got everything caught up for the day...now I can relax until 2nd shift comes in.

I love the pics of the snow...I actually like snow/being cold. It is so pretty!

I'm here! I've been kickin' around, but yesterday was a really busy day, and Friday always is, because it's my volunteer day. My heaviest posting is always monday-thursday, since all I do is work my 8-10 hours, but I can post from my iPhone, and come home, make dinner and such. Not much else going on.

You get snow at the Grand Canyon :rolleyes:

We get snow up north near/around Flagstaff, too...but that requires driving a couple hours out of town. Besides, I don't know how to drive in the snow so I would have to recruit someone to do it for me. My girlfriend is from South Carolina so she can't drive in the snow either. But, I have never been to the Grand Canyon when it is snowy. It is rather beautiful to go to a part of the canyon where there isn't a bunch of tourists and just enjoy nature. I love nature- I swear I must have been pagan in a past life or something.

Move to Cali lol. You got Mammoth Mt and other snowy spots within a day's drive. Beaches within a day's drive. Yosemite and other national parks within a day's drive. ... etc etc. You get my point :D

AND! You don't even have to live in the snow! You get to pick and choose when you want to go up and see snow :laugh:

Move to Cali lol. You got Mammoth Mt and other snowy spots within a day's drive. Beaches within a day's drive. Yosemite and other national parks within a day's drive. ... etc etc. You get my point :D

AND! You don't even have to live in the snow! You get to pick and choose when you want to go up and see snow :laugh:

California has a lot of beautiful places but, to be honest, it is just far too liberal for me and way too superficial. I also don't like the materialistic, money-driven culture that resides in southern cali. Northern California would be ok but I could never live in San Fran because of the expense. The truth is, I just get along with people from the East Coast a lot more. I seem to fit in better over there- not sure why.

California has a lot of beautiful places but, to be honest, it is just far too liberal for me and way too superficial. I also don't like the materialistic, money-driven culture that resides in southern cali. Northern California would be ok but I could never live in San Fran because of the expense. The truth is, I just get along with people from the East Coast a lot more. I seem to fit in better over there- not sure why.

You could always move to the 19 or so Republican districts in Cali. I don't know where they are but there's a couple republican districts out there (I live in a republican county haha). :laugh:

Can't really do anything about the superficial part, it's spillover from Hollywood pop culture.

Haha same. My post count seems to pick up when studying for midterms... not really logical. :confused:

No I've never met Bob... lol I just remember everything people post or write on here, so it might seem like I know people in real life but I just have a good memory.

I am at work torturing my coworkers with the album "Madonna - Celebration" which is a two disc set of all her best songs. Finally got everything caught up for the day...now I can relax until 2nd shift comes in.

I love the pics of the snow...I actually like snow/being cold. It is so pretty!

I love snow/cold too. I hope you get in to Minnesota that would be cool! My taxi got lost trying to find the admissions building in Georgia so I stood outside for over an hour in a skirt suit with quarter length sleeves, no stockings, overcast, and 45 degrees. lol It felt nice though because I wasn't sweating. I walked over by the trees and I found a little cat running around in the woods. :laugh:

oic. I wonder if bob would be embarrassed/shy if he met everyone :)

You could always move to the 19 or so Republican districts in Cali. I don't know where they are but there's a couple republican districts out there (I live in a republican county haha). :laugh:

Can't really do anything about the superficial part, it's spillover from Hollywood pop culture.

LOL That won't work either because most Republicans think I am going to hell LOL I am a centrist/moderate in just about every respect. For some reason, anytime I talk about my viewpoints on various issues, it confuses people because I can be really conservative on some things and really liberal on other things.

But, yeah, as far as Cali goes, I don't like the Hollywood crap...that stuff is bleeding over into my state and I absolutely hate it.

Tink, I hope I get in to. This week I will find out if I am accepted at UofA (I will take it if I get it) but I imagine Minnesota won't get back to me until April-ish which would suck. I mean, it would be nice to have the decision to make but it would probably be the biggest decision of my life thus far. Standing in the cold (45 degrees) is something I would like but no so sure if I would llike it in a skirt with no stockings and quarter sleeves LOL Does Mercer let you know pretty quickly if you are accepted?

Did you apply to OSU (Oregon)? That's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, far from Hollywood, and surrounded by nature. It seems to also pick up a lot of students from Cali. I'm not sure about how many people they enroll from Arizona.

LOL That won't work either because most Republicans think I am going to hell LOL I am a centrist/moderate in just about every respect. For some reason, anytime I talk about my viewpoints on various issues, it confuses people because I can be really conservative on some things and really liberal on other things.

This, for sure. This is part of the reason a 2-party system sucks, you're pretty much forced to align yourself with SOMETHING you don't agree with. I'm pretty much the same, moderate on most things, but VERY conservative and VERY liberal on a few select issues. So basically, I guess I manage to piss everyone off? Haha...

This, for sure. This is part of the reason a 2-party system sucks, you're pretty much forced to align yourself with SOMETHING you don't agree with. I'm pretty much the same, moderate on most things, but VERY conservative and VERY liberal on a few select issues. So basically, I guess I manage to piss everyone off? Haha...

Look at it this way: at least you're only pissing off half of the people half of the time :)

Did you apply to OSU (Oregon)? That's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, far from Hollywood, and surrounded by nature. It seems to also pick up a lot of students from Cali. I'm not sure about how many people they enroll from Arizona.

I did some pre-reqs at CC...they don't take CC credits. Screw 'em.

I did some pre-reqs at CC...they don't take CC credits. Screw 'em.

Hah that's why I didn't finish the supplemental. I did all my coursework at universities except physiology and econ ... but apparently physiology has to come from a 4-year college :(

Hah that's why I didn't finish the supplemental. I did all my coursework at universities except physiology and econ ... but apparently physiology has to come from a 4-year college :(

I remember what we have learned in other threads guys, CC credits are good EVERYWHERE

I remember what we have learned in other threads guys, CC credits are good EVERYWHERE

Problem is on the OSU site:

Human Physiology for science majors

No CC equivalent;
take at 4-yr. school

Human Anatomy

No CC equivalent;
take at 4-yr. school

No I've never met Bob... lol I just remember everything people post or write on here, so it might seem like I know people in real life but I just have a good memory.

Nope. One of my friends in my class who sat next to me at the interview day last year thought I was a bit talkative even though it was the first time we met :laugh:

My best friend in pharmacy school said that she thought I was going to be kinda quiet when she first met me, but she said I turned out to be the opposite :laugh:

Hm I wonder? lol Maybe not? Some people who seem outgoing on the internet are shy in real life and some people who seem shy are really not. I consider myself shy in real life, but apparantly I give off the outgoing vibe because everyone tells me if I am really shy I must fake it well. I actually said shyness was a weakness of mine in my interview and then the professor said I wasn't shy so then I didn't know what to say. lol

I think it is because I can't stand awkward silence, that is even more painful to me, so when I'm nervous I just keep talking and talking and won't shut up blah blah blah blah and then I probably get really annoying, but it's only because that is how I deal with being nervous. :laugh:

But, yeah, as far as Cali goes, I don't like the Hollywood crap...that stuff is bleeding over into my state and I absolutely hate it.

Tink, I hope I get in to. This week I will find out if I am accepted at UofA (I will take it if I get it) but I imagine Minnesota won't get back to me until April-ish which would suck. I mean, it would be nice to have the decision to make but it would probably be the biggest decision of my life thus far. Standing in the cold (45 degrees) is something I would like but no so sure if I would llike it in a skirt with no stockings and quarter sleeves LOL Does Mercer let you know pretty quickly if you are accepted?

I think most people are moderate on most issues. I'm registered Republican but I am definitely not conservative in the traditional sense either. I'm more liberal on social issues, but I hate the word libertarian because it immediately provokes accusations of anarchy, and I certainly am not that.

I don't agree with a lot of the older intolerant Republicans any more than anyone on here does, but I can find things I like/dislike in either party. The two party system is not the greatest, but changing historical sytems is literally an act of Congress so I suppose it is better than other alternatives. lol

I was surprised but 45 degrees in Georgia was a lot warmer to me than 60 degrees in Florida because of the wind and water and stuff down here. Mercer is very quick about getting back with applicants regarding questions, interviews, etc so I am hoping that I'm not on the fence, or worse rejected. If they do plan on accepting me then I should find out quickly, if not then I'll probably be waiting a good while until they interview other students and re-evaluate me.

That's how I am.

Hm I wonder? lol Maybe not? Some people who seem outgoing on the internet are shy in real life and some people who seem shy are really not. I consider myself shy in real life, but apparantly I give off the outgoing vibe because everyone tells me if I am really shy I must fake it well. I actually said shyness was a weakness of mine in my interview and then the professor said I wasn't shy so then I didn't know what to say. lol

I think it is because I can't stand awkward silence, that is even more painful to me, so when I'm nervous I just keep talking and talking and won't shut up blah blah blah blah and then I probably get really annoying, but it's only because that is how I deal with being nervous. :laugh:

I used to be shy up until some time in high school. I can tell you about it PM if you want.

But after that and after I started college, I started to be a bit more social. I didn't go out partying a bunch, but I met people and spent time hanging out with friends.

Right now, I'd say that I'm fairly social, but I don't go out of my way to try to hang out with everyone. I'm not antisocial either, and I'll actually talk to people in my class if and when I want to. It's never awkward for me to talk to anyone in my class as long as we don't get too personal :laugh: