OT: Pharmacists and Politics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about pharmacists taking part in politics? I've had a few people tell me I shouldn't be so involved in political affairs or so vocal about it on social media since it can potentially backfire on me.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys think about pharmacists taking part in politics? I've had a few people tell me I shouldn't be so involved in political affairs or so vocal about it on social media since it can potentially backfire on me.

honestly, I do not think there is any problem with a pharmacist taking parts or being active in politics. It all about the person imho.

http://www.pharmacist.com/pharmacists-politics-0

What about hacktivism? The issue that happened today was after I posted info about an alleged police officer in the Michael Brown shooting in St. Louis. (I posted his address, phone number, family members, etc) and I distributed it to a lot of sites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Politics, religion, money

On the other hand I get into some lively debates with my republican coworker. He once used the rationale "the bible said its wrong" only he happened to say this to me on a Sunday. I retorted that its a day of rest and I should probably be stoned to death for working so Ill head home now. He smirked and walked off. No hard feelings.

What about hacktivism? The issue that happened today was after I posted info about an alleged police officer in the Michael Brown shooting in St. Louis. (I posted his address, phone number, family members, etc) and I distributed it to a lot of sites.

So lets say you made a dosing error and killed a baby, would you want someone posting the story and your private info all over the web?

Aside from that I wouldnt post anything scetchy like that online unless I was knowledgeable enough to protect my identity through false IP address and what not.

Reactions: 1 user

you should not have done that. The thing is still super hot and we still need time to get all the info in and look at the big pucture....

So lets say you made a dosing error and killed a baby, would you want someone posting the story and your private info all over the web?

Aside from that I wouldnt post anything scetchy like that online unless I was knowledgeable enough to protect my identity through false IP address and what not.

If I was arrested for it, then I'm pretty sure that would be public knowledge. That's the whole point. Police need to be held accountable for their actions.

I think it's wrong to post his family members names. If someone in my family did something terrible why should my information be posted so people can contact me, show up at my work, home, etc... We have a judicial system for a reason. There's no need to post anyone's address. Can't you get off the computer and go hold up a sign outside, old skool style.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't see a problem with it, but your employer might. Then again I don't think people should live in fear of their employers outside of their work. I know it's unamerican, but worrying about a job to the point that you censor yourself is not a road I want to go down.

Politics, religion, money

On the other hand I get into some lively debates with my republican coworker. He once used the rationale "the bible said its wrong" only he happened to say this to me on a Sunday. I retorted that its a day of rest and I should probably be stoned to death for working so Ill head home now. He smirked and walked off. No hard feelings.

Actually Saturday is the biblical day of rest, if one wants to get technical.

That is extremely low printing his family members names. What does his family have to do with his actions? It's one thing to be calling out the police officer, but decency means you don't call out his family. I would add also, I would NEVER pass along private information about someone one, 1) its extremely rude, given that nobody knows the facts of the situation yet (and may never know :( 2) the information you are passing along is likely to be wrong, since I'm pretty sure you don't have first hand knowledge of where the police officer lives (or his name or anything else about him.) This has happened before with social media, one example is George Zimmerman, people were passing along his address only it WASN'T his address! There have been cases where someone who is mad at an ex, will pass their phone & address along as some notorious public figure, just to make harassment for their ex. You could be unwittingly setting up an innocent person for harassment and crimes. And people have been convicted of crimes for posting false information that leads to harassment of another.

What you did is NOT political activism. So your question really isn't about whether pharmacists should be politically active, it's about whether pharmacists should be harassing people and possibly committing slander by posting false information. NO, pharmacists should not doing what you did.

What you did is NOT political activism. So your question really isn't about whether pharmacists should be politically active, it's about whether pharmacists should be harassing people and possibly committing slander by posting false information. NO, pharmacists should not doing what you did.

You are absolutely right on about this !! His title for this thread is absolutely misleading. I was naive enough to google artcles about pharmacists who are active in politics. Silly me :) lol

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/14/technology/security/ferguson-anonymous/index.html

Thursday morning, Anonymous released the name of the man it believes to be the police officer who shot and killed Brown over the weekend......
County police responded to Anonymous on Twitter, denying that the man works for St. Louis County or Ferguson police. The department refused to identify the actual shooter and asked the group to halt its campaign.
"Do not release more info on this random citizen," the department said. "We only release suspect information after the investigation is complete and charges have been issued."

Sounds like it was indeed a wrong name that was released. But hey I suppose Sparda doesn't care about an innocent guy AND his family being harassed. It's the same logic as idiots who think people should just be shot because the crime was heinous that "they don't deserve a trial." As long as someone is punished, the thinking goes, who cares if its actually the guilty party or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with others that it wasn't the right thing to do, posting other people's personal/private info that you cannot verify and could drag other innocents into danger. It feels a lot like swatting except instead of the police you're using angry, local citizenry who see the information.

As for pharmacists in politics, Hubert Humphrey was a Vice President and pharmacist, so of course pharmacists can be active in politics. Though your posts on this forum could jeopardize any high political aspirations as you mentioned. We're anonymous to each other but we can be traced of course now in today's age.

I agree with others that it wasn't the right thing to do, posting other people's personal/private info that you cannot verify and could drag other innocents into danger. It feels a lot like swatting except instead of the police you're using angry, local citizenry who see the information.

As for pharmacists in politics, Hubert Humphrey was a Vice President and pharmacist, so of course pharmacists can be active in politics. Though your posts on this forum could jeopardize any high political aspirations as you mentioned. We're anonymous to each other but we can be traced of course now in today's age.

Is there any effective and easy way that you guys are using to protect your online IDs ??

Only political position I'd be interested in is SECDEF.

I hope your hospital per diem job doesn't have access to a national patient database. Otherwise, that sort of info might end up being an alleged HIPAA violation.

Yes, more pharmacists should be involved in politics.

No, more pharmacists should not be involved with spreading hate (not to mention inaccurately directed hate at that).

Reactions: 2 users
I personally don't mind if pharmacists or others are involved in politics. I have friends from both ends of the spectrum constantly posting selective information on social media trying to advance their agendas. The only thing to consider would be if your workplace has some kind of policy against that.

One should consider what the possible consequences of their actions are....

One could argue that for freedom's sake we should have the right to keep and bear arms without infringement. Going to the extreme of this argument someone could claim that it is their individual right to cover the floor of their house with guns, put a sign up front that says "free candy," then leave the door open and let school kids come in and pick them up.

I think we'd all call that irresponsible. Just like it's irresponsible to go spreading true or false address information for a peace officer full-well knowing that there are roving bands of thugs looking to commit hate crimes against police.

Here's a recent photo from St. Louis:

onlygoodcop.jpg

Bravo, your decision to give in to mob mentality is a shame to all humanity.

Now for my personal opinion: As a former peace officer, you make me want to throw up.

One should consider what the possible consequences of their actions are....

One could argue that for freedom's sake we should have the right to keep and bear arms without infringement. Going to the extreme of this argument someone could claim that it is their individual right to cover the floor of their house with guns, put a sign up front that says "free candy," then leave the door open and let school kids come in and pick them up.

I think we'd all call that irresponsible. Just like it's irresponsible to go spreading true or false address information for a peace officer full-well knowing that there are roving bands of thugs looking to commit hate crimes against police.

Here's a recent photo from St. Louis:

onlygoodcop.jpg

Bravo, your decision to give in to mob mentality is a shame to all humanity.

Now for my personal opinion: As a former peace officer, you make me want to throw up.

All this could have been avoided if they released the name of the cop when the incident happened instead of ****ing around and trying to hide information from the people. I have a big issue with government keeping secrets. IMO, Edward Snowden is a national hero.

If the cop doesn't get anything less than 20 years in prison, it will be a major injustice.

Long term solutions to prevent cop on citizen shootings: Police should be disarmed. Have special armed police groups ready in vans around the city to be deployed in a situation where a gun might be necessary.

All this could have been avoided if they released the name of the cop when the incident happened instead of ******* around and trying to hide information from the people. I have a big issue with government keeping secrets. IMO, Edward Snowden is a national hero.

If the cop doesn't get anything less than 20 years in prison, it will be a major injustice.

Long term solutions to prevent cop on citizen shootings: Police should be disarmed. Have special armed police groups ready in vans around the city to be deployed in a situation where a gun might be necessary.

You weren't there, you didn't have someone beating on you, you've never had a criminal try to assault you or kill you, you have no idea what was going through the peace officer's mind. You don't know if the first shot while running away was a warning shot, you don't know if when the guy turned around that he began to lunge at the cop (the suspect was a BIG MOFO,) and you have no flipping idea what you're talking about as you've never been a peace officer.

Go do a tour of a maximum security prison. There's quite a few that will let you. If you can't get in any other way, go with a group that is doing something for the prisoners (churches that go to pray with them, etc...) Go meet some of these model citizens who have already been caught. After you've met a few of them, and seen how nonchalantly they talk about murdering, raping, robbing, assaulting, etc... like it's eating their morning Cheerios, then see how you feel about having unarmed police.

A cop doesn't tell you have to review prescriptions or compounds meds, you shouldn't try to tell them how to do their job either. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Not all people are created equal: http://www.livescience.com/13083-criminals-brain-neuroscience-ethics.html

Here's some 16 year old gang members from Chicago talking about the stuff they've seen and done. It's a reality check for anyone who doesn't think someone can be dangerous at a young age. They're confession starts around 55 seconds and goes on for about 30 seconds.

Also, someone who is nearly 300 pounds is armed all the time; with his fists. More people are killed in beatings every year than most people realize.

Last edited:

YOU ARE THE BIGGEST ***** I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

You were not there, did not witness it and only know what you read in the media. And you have decided the police officer is guilty of a crime for which there is no proof in evidence. He was not indicted, tried or convicted. Have we not had enough cases that once ALL of the information becomes available, it's not what we thought it was in the beginning. You have to let the justice system do it's thing. You would want the same protection for yourself if you were accused of a crime.

Think the Duke Lacrosse Players, Think Tawana Brawley, Think Richard Jewell, Think Steven Hatfill People whose lives were ruined by false accusations. The truth will eventually come out and when it does you will proven to be the flaming a-hole you are. You have the maturity of a 5 year old and the patience of flea. If said you were as dumb as whale-****, it would be an insult to whale-****.

The wheels of justice move slowly for a reason. To control the ***** filled mobs of people like you inhabit. Grow the f up and act like man, not a petulant child. By putting his name out in the public you have endangered the accused, his family anybody who might be associated the him, because the mob must be appeased. You sicken me. Your attitude is wretched. There is not enough Zofran to keep me from puking when do gooder a-hols are out trying to save the world.....

You were not there, did not witness it and only know what you read in the media. And you have decided the police officer is guilty of a crime for which there is no proof in evidence. He was not indicted, tried or convicted. Have we not had enough cases that once ALL of the information becomes available, it's not what we thought it was in the beginning. You have to let the justice system do it's thing. You would want the same protection for yourself if you were accused of a crime.

Think the Duke Lacrosse Players, Think Tawana Brawley, Think Richard Jewell, Think Steven Hatfill People whose lives were ruined by false accusations. The truth will eventually come out and when it does you will proven to be the flaming a-hole you are. You have the maturity of a 5 year old and the patience of flea. If said you were as dumb as whale-****, it would be an insult to whale-****.

The wheels of justice move slowly for a reason. To control the ***** filled mobs of people like you inhabit. Grow the f up and act like man, not a petulant child. By putting his name out in the public you have endangered the accused, his family anybody who might be associated the him, because the mob must be appeased. You sicken me. Your attitude is wretched. There is not enough Zofran to keep me from puking when do gooder a-hols are out trying to save the world.....

If there was a nomination for best post ever, Old Timer would get my vote. +1000

So you think those people in Ferguson shouldn't be out there protesting and the police should be there with armored vehicles, sniper rifles, body armor, tear gas, etc.

And btw, the police officer is guilty of the crime regardless of whether Michael Brown was attacking him or not. He was unarmed, and if he needed to be subdued he could have used a taser or shot him in a non-vital area. The problem is, cops in the US are instructed to shoot to bring someone down and to shoot at center mass rather than aiming for extremities and doing as minimal damage as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lee_Rigby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

shot shot shot stabbed assaulted run over shot stabbed shot stabbed shot assaulted ran over the list goes on and on, suuuure, unarmed police are working out great for the UK.

Better than innocent people or people who commit minor crimes being killed when resisting arrest.

PS: You make me want to throw up since you were a "peace" officer.

Better than innocent people or people who commit minor crimes being killed when resisting arrest.

PS: You make me want to throw up since you were a "peace" officer.

Some day one of these huddled masses you're the self appointed champion of are going to hold you up at gunpoint where you work, or rob you on the side of the street, or break into your home and kill your family. I hope no peace officers are around to infringe on the criminals rights.

Last edited:

IF the police officer shot the guy when he had surrendering, then yes he should get a minimum of 20 years in prison (I would say even more.) But we DON'T know that that is what happened. Courts are not always perfect, but they do a far better job at justice then the media or mob rule does. I think you are wrong to have already determined in your own mind that the police officer is guilty of murder, when none us where there and really know what happened. The media is very good at inflaming passions by presenting only 1 side of a story. The idea of wanting street justice based on what the media is says is completely ludicrous to a thinking person. It would be one thing to protest if there were evidence of some big cover-up going on, but there isn't. The FBI is investigating, state police have taken over for the local police, the evidence will be gathered, and then presented in court as it should be--as justice requires in order to determine the innocence or guilt of someone.

IF the police officer shot the guy when he had surrendering, then yes he should get a minimum of 20 years in prison (I would say even more.) But we DON'T know that that is what happened. Courts are not always perfect, but they do a far better job at justice then the media or mob rule does. I think you are wrong to have already determined in your own mind that the police officer is guilty of murder, when none us where there and really know what happened. The media is very good at inflaming passions by presenting only 1 side of a story. The idea of wanting street justice based on what the media is says is completely ludicrous to a thinking person. It would be one thing to protest if there were evidence of some big cover-up going on, but there isn't. The FBI is investigating, state police have taken over for the local police, the evidence will be gathered, and then presented in court as it should be--as justice requires in order to determine the innocence or guilt of someone.

That's something that could be prevented very easily if all cops are forced to wear those mini-cameras to record all audio and video of their activities. And if this is done, the files should be publicly accessible.

They could have placated the protesters by releasing the name and placing the officer under arrest until all facts are gathered.

That's something that could be prevented very easily if all cops are forced to wear those mini-cameras to record all audio and video of their activities. And if this is done, the files should be publicly accessible.

They could have placated the protesters by releasing the name and placing the officer under arrest until all facts are gathered.

Thankfully we have something in America called due process. You're thinking of a fascist state. That is not what the Republic of the United States is all about, sorry, find yourself a country that fits your world view. There are lots of them!

Some day one of these huddled masses you're the self appointed champion of are going to hold you up at gunpoint where you work, or rob you on the side of the street, or break into your home and kill your family. I hope no peace officers are around to infringe on the criminals rights.

It's not like they've ever helped me in those scenarios. I've been mugged a few times. When I called the cops, nothing happened, didn't get my property back. Only time the crime was prevented was when I pulled my weapon on the other guy.

How do you feel about the case in NYC where the officer used an illegal chokehold on someone he was arresting (for selling loose cigarettes, of all the ****ing crimes to try and arrest someone for) and ended up killing the guy. Instead of the cop being in jail, he's on desk duty.

How do you feel about the case in NYC where the officer used an illegal chokehold on someone he was arresting (for selling loose cigarettes, of all the ******* crimes to try and arrest someone for) and ended up killing the guy. Instead of the cop being in jail, he's on desk duty.

ignorance+vs+stupidity.PNG

See stupidity, subsection (3) above ^^^

I totally agree with you that police should all be equipped with mini-cameras recording audio & video (and there should be severe reprimands for "lost" video.)

I disagree that the name of the officer should be released to a mob before he has been legally accused of anything. If he is innocent, releasing his name puts him (and his family, thanks to people like you who think its OK to drag family members into it) in danger. If he is guilty, then there is a court system to handle this (and if the due process is not being served, then the protests should be against the court system, not against the guy who may or may not be guilty.)

Reactions: 1 users
So you think those people in Ferguson shouldn't be out there protesting and the police should be there with armored vehicles, sniper rifles, body armor, tear gas, etc..

First, these people have the right to assemble and protest to their hearts content. They have no right to riot. None. They are **** criminals. Did you notice how powerful the civil rights movement was because it was non violent. Did you see how Ghandi changed India non violently. Mass non violent protest is what our constitution not only permits, but encourages. If they did that, there would be no need for police to be in riot gear.

And btw, the police officer is guilty of the crime regardless of whether Michael Brown was attacking him or not. He was unarmed, and if he needed to be subdued he could have used a taser or shot him in a non-vital area.

The officer is not guilty of anything, yet. We have due process in this country you fascist a-hole *****. If you ant to live like that go to the middle east and live in Iraq Iran or Syria. This is the USA, we have a criminal justice system there to protect all of us from the government and the mob. You make me want to puke.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm with Sparda. The police are out of control. And they have been for some time. Most of you grew up in nice little neighborhoods with respectable parents. I used to have those dinguses follow me around and harass me because of who my family is and what part of town I used to live in. I used get pulled over for literally nothing. They were just hoping to pull over some white trash drunk or with drugs in his car. It was always a waste of their time being that I don't drink or use drugs, but, hey, roll the dice, right? I'd walk down the street with a group of my friends, they'd pull over and ask us where were going. Why? Because they were dinguses. I have a healthy fear, disrespect, and loathing of the police out of life experience. And this was the late 90s, early 00s before they got their hands on post-Afghanistan equipment. I can't imagine being a black dude in this country from a poor neighborhood now. Good God. They got flash grenades, armored cars, and high powered assault rifles. Back in the day, if ones of us talked back we'd just get a club to the leg. That was illegal as hell, too, but at least it was reasonable. They are out there shooting dudes execution style for simply running away unarmed now. WTF?

And based on eye witness accounts...this dude is guilty as ****. Don't give me that stupid "he hasn't been proven guilty" nonsense. Dude's like the Boston Marathon bomber, Ted Kaczynski, and other infamous violent murderers didn't get that public sentiment, and neither should this dude. Unless something amazing comes out like the kid had a bomb trigger in his hand and was about to blow up a bus with a bunch of nuns and firemen riding on it, give me a damn break. Or if all of those individual witnesses whose individual accounts line up rather perfectly are part of a huge conspiracy and he didn't really walk up to the kid and murder him.

I'm with Sparda. The police are out of control. And they have been for some time. Most of you grew up in nice little neighborhoods with respectable parents. I used to have those dinguses follow me around and harass me because of who my family is and what part of town I used to live in. I used get pulled over for literally nothing. They were just hoping to pull over some white trash drunk or with drugs in his car. It was always a waste of their time being that I don't drink or use drugs, but, hey, roll the dice, right? I'd walk down the street with a group of my friends, they'd pull over and ask us where were going. Why? Because they were dinguses. I have a healthy fear, disrespect, and loathing of the police out of life experience. And this was the late 90s, early 00s before they got their hands on post-Afghanistan equipment. I can't imagine being a black dude in this country from a poor neighborhood now. Good God. They got flash grenades, armored cars, and high powered assault rifles. Back in the day, if ones of us talked back we'd just get a club to the leg. That was illegal as hell, too, but at least it was reasonable. They are out there shooting dudes execution style for simply running away unarmed now. WTF?

And based on eye witness accounts...this dude is guilty as ****. Don't give me that stupid "he hasn't been proven guilty" nonsense. Dude's like the Boston Marathon bomber, Ted Kaczynski, and other infamous violent murderers didn't get that public sentiment, and neither should this dude. Unless something amazing comes out like the kid had a bomb trigger in his hand and was about to blow up a bus with a bunch of nuns and firemen riding on it, give me a damn break. Or if all of those individual witnesses whose individual accounts line up rather perfectly are part of a huge conspiracy and he didn't really walk up to the kid and murder him.

My personal accounts and experience with those from the bad neighbor hood are giving me enough reasons to always keep a distance from them. Just yesterday, when I was doing nothing but walking my 2 dogs along the sidewalk in my neighborhood, they were driving really fast by me in their stupid chrome 20" rides, yelling obscenities and throwing a glass bottle at me and my dogs. WTF ??

Those thugs are just thugs and nothing but a bunch of thugs. Why didn't they just take that up to the police and protest ?? I would not even have problems with them clashing with police. But what did those innocent stores and business do to them ?? They were breaking in, trashing, and looting/robbing those innocent establishments. They are criminals indeed. Push come to shove, I have to say the police have their reasons to stop and check those from those neighborhood. The chance is high that those people from those neighborhood are punks and thugs, and up to no good.

But, like others have said above, we have a court system and due process to get all the possible evidence in to examine/cross examine to give everyone a fair trial. You sound like you do not want to do that but make a judgment on the officer based on the second hand evidence and/or hearsays.

I really did not expect to hear this from a professional like you a pharmacist whose education is based on scientific evidence and process and logic and fair and acting as a checkpoint to avoid mistake making. Not to offend, but you and Sparda sound like you guys belong to a mob !!

Please watch the video clips here and read many comments that go with this news article below,

http://news.yahoo.com/turmoil-tear-gas-way-hope-ferguson-053336976.html

Pointless Rambling
But, like others have said above, we have a court system and due process to get all the possible evidence in to examine/cross examine to give everyone a fair trial. You sound like you do not want to do that but make a judgment on the officer based on the second hand evidence and/or hearsays.

I really did not expect to hear this from a professional like you a pharmacist whose education is based on scientific evidence and process and logic and fair and acting as a checkpoint to avoid mistake making. Not to offend, but you and Sparda sound like you guys belong to a mob !!

Where am I saying that I support looting or that this man shouldn't be given a fair trial? And entire post of idiocy and putting words in my mouth.

Where am I saying that I support looting or that this man shouldn't be given a fair trial? And entire post of idiocy and putting words in my mouth.

no I did not say you are supporting looting or the officer should be given a fair trial. But just read all the posts of your above again please. You decided to post and posted/spread the supposed info and addresses of the police officer and his family on the internet. How does that serve a fair trial for anyone ?? What are going to happen to the officer's family and himself and/or some innocent people if some mob decided to act on those info ?? More looting, robbing, or killing ?? Indeed this act of yours is a hate crime in itself and an act that only belongs to a mob !!

I am disgusted to see to see all this from a pharmacist like you, a health professional whom the public are supposedly trusting. I do not know about anyone else but I would absolutely NOT trust you with my life or my personal information after seeing you posting your action and judgement here !!

Edit: my mistake. I meant Sparda in this sentence (not WVUPharm2007)

"But just read all the posts of your above again please. You decided to post and posted/spread the supposed info and addresses of the police officer and his family on the internet. How does that serve a fair trial for anyone ?? What are going to happen to the officer's family and himself and/or some innocent people if some mob decided to act on those info ?? More looting, robbing, or killing ?? Indeed this act of yours is a hate crime in itself and an act that only belongs to a mob !!"

Last edited:
no I did not say you are supporting looting or the officer should be given a fair trial. But just read all the posts of your above again please. You decided to post and posted the supposed info and addresses of the police officer and his family on the internet. This is a hate crime in itself and an act the only belong to a mob !!

I am disgusted to see to see all this from a pharmacist like you, a health professional who the public are supposed to trust. I do not know about anyone else but I would absolutely NOT trust you with my life or my personal information after seeing you posting your action and judgement here !!

I've posted one time in this thread. I didn't post anyone's name or address. I think you are confused.