OT: Pit bull killed by police in DC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dsmoody23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a fairly disturbing story that's been popping up all over the internet today.

http://www.tbd.com/articles/2010/09/cop-shoots-dog-in-adams-morgan-10164.html

The facebook discussion has gotten pretty ridiculous, pretty fast, so I thought I'd post it over here and see what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a fairly disturbing story that's been popping up all over the internet today.

http://www.tbd.com/articles/2010/09/cop-shoots-dog-in-adams-morgan-10164.html

The facebook discussion has gotten pretty ridiculous, pretty fast, so I thought I'd post it over here and see what you guys think.

Seems that even in completely different circumstances, cops are trigger happy.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2011/11/2_dead_officer_involved_shooti.php

But that's just awful about the pitbull. ****, we have dogs trying to growl and bark at each other in line for vaccinations, and we don't shoot them!! Sad it was a foster dog too.

this makes me so sad. i work/live in the DC area and am a pitbull fan -- i think they are highly misunderstood dogs. i've seen several stories this year about trigger happy cops :(

Members don't see this ad :)
How come it's all over the internet today? This was a year ago.
I don't think it's possible to comment without seeing what happened. Sometimes police shoot dogs unnecessarily, sometimes people refuse to admit that the dog was acting violently in a crowd. It's awful and I feel for the dog, but I don't know if it's the owner's fault for putting the dog in a situation it can't handle, the other dog's owner for letting the other dog start a fight, the police for over-reacting...

I don't think it's possible to comment without seeing what happened. Sometimes police shoot dogs unnecessarily, sometimes people refuse to admit that the dog was acting violently in a crowd.

+1

I get really pissed when I hear about police doing something like barging into someone's house (for good reason or otherwise) and then shooting the barking dog that's locked up in a crate, but it's really hard to tell what transpired in a case like this. I do think there is time and place where it's appropriate for police to shoot at a dog, but without proper context I certainly can't tell if this was one of those. If anything's an indication, the dog in question seems to have been attacking another dog according to BOTH sides... so I'm more inclined to give the police the benefit of doubt.

I think it was making the rounds due to a mistaken impression that it was at an Occupy event.

It seemed more interesting to me in terms of the legal issue of deadly force applied to a companion animal.

The police shoot dogs fairly regularly out here, sometimes justified, sometimes not especially so, or not at all. It rarely gets press, and there's rarely any disciplinary action even in the most ridiculous cases. (for example, a cop who shot a dog through an enclosed fence on private property.)

Just seems like an interesting discussion to have.

It is on my Facebook now. One commenter said "How can someone do this to a stray dog?" Way to not read the news article or the caption. Does not seem to be a lively debate. Just random people saying that the cop is a bad bad man which is not a debate at all. If a dog starts fighting with another dog in a crowded area and blood is present, half are going to think that the dog is aggressive and bit someone, half is going to see the situation for what it really is. If there was that much discrepancy over what happened, it is likely the cop may have overreacted and should be reprimanded in some way.

It reminds me of a video I saw a long time ago where the cops did a drug bust on a family and shot a crated pit bull in another room. All over a small amount of weed. Now that was disturbing.
Cops do crazy s*** like this with humans too. Every once in a while, there is a story about whether *insert minority here* was rightfully tasered/arrested/charged and eyewitness accounts are back and forth. It sucks.
For every bad cop out there, we need a guy like Tre Smith.

Last edited:
It sounds a bit sketchy to me-

If the dog was on a leash, its not that difficult to drag it away and if the owner was apparently on the dog restraining it, then these 3 people that supposedly got bit should have stayed out of the way.

The dog died, and in my opinion seems a bit unfortunate. In other cases however, it would be appropriate to do away with the dog. For example, a dog killed a 4 year old girl earlier this year and it was all over the news in Australia. In that case I think it was legitimate. This story however just seems a bit all over the place, no one really knows what was going on, and in the end the dog was shot and it seems like it was shot for no real straightforward reason.

Maybe the cop was trying to be 'proactive'....

How many times do you see perfectly friendly dogs not agree with each other. My view of this situation is you have two dogs which are usually well behaved (the pit was playing with kids right before and i know they are super people friendly dogs, can't speak for the white "fluffy cute" thing). What disturbs me is the viewpoints taken. That small dog could have been the instigator, which is usually the case, and the more dangerous dog, however, because of their size and color they are seen as cute and fluffy and innocent. Where as the pit has such a bad rap in a community that police and people are always on the defense.
As I am sure we all know, trying to hold a dog down forcefully is actually very stressful and causes a perfectly normal dog to lash out as well. I think this cop over-restrain the dog, placed more stress on the dog, which caused the dog to react to him. And yes, in a scuffle of dogs, hands are everywhere to pull the dogs apart, and its not the fault of the dog's that you put your hand in the middle of a scuffle. The cop is trying to cover is behind, yes it was dangerous because the dog "appeared" to go after him, but really the dog just didn't want to be held down. Its like saying a guy was pointing a gun at you, but in reality you gave him that gun and started to threaten him.
Dogs get into scuffles all the time, you pull them apart, check for scratches, and yeah, you might have to haul them away as they pull, but its in control. This cop stepped in post-scuffle, escalated the issue himself, and then took violent action cause he was too involved in the situation to just walk away 10 feet.
:boom:

These stories make me so sad. I think that there are situations that dogs need to be shot but that would be uncommon circumstances.

There are so many reasons why I think we hire the wrong kind of people as our law enforcement.
(this is a generalization - I realize that many of you have an uncle-cousin-mom-sister-husband-relation that is the world's great police officer - but they are a RARE find!)

Perhaps less egotistical bastards who want to show that their small genitalia size has nothing to do with their macho-ness.... and more people who genuinely care for their fellow man and choose to enter law enforcement to better their community. So many just want to "shoot bad guys." (and dogs, too, I guess)

I still haven't recovered from the video of the dog who got shot in its kennel and I saw that months (years?) ago!

I'm going to go hug my dogs now (who apparently can be shot at any moment's notice by law enforcement with no repercussions)