OT: Pre-vet Gamers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay! I haven't played lol but I'm pretty into hots. I actually just started investigating league (Watching LCS)...it is sooo much more complicated.
Haha I had friends introduce me to League years and years ago. Stopped playing when my computer couldn't handle it anymore and I was trying to support on 5fps...
Finishing a new computer this weekend, so I'm hoping to get back into it!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I had friends introduce me to League years and years ago. Stopped playing when my computer couldn't handle it anymore and I was trying to support on 5fps...
Finishing a new computer this weekend, so I'm hoping to get back into it!

Nice! What kind of specs? I did a mid range build two years ago, but it was my first so it has all the typical cosmetic shinies (window cut out, led fans, uv strip...). What can I say? I like pretty things.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what laptop I want for vet school (though I'll bring my tower with me of course). Ideally something that can handle some games but have tablet convertibility for class note taking...I was eyeing the surface book but I'm not sure the gaming side is there...

$224.95 Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3-1866 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD
XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card
Corsair CX 600W ATX Power Supply
These are my specs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool! Can't have enough love for the Samsung EVO SSDs. I have the same one in my tower and it is a champ
Good to know! This is my first build ever, so I'm super paranoid that something's not going to work and my tower will burst into flames the minute I plug it in :laugh:

Good to know! This is my first build ever, so I'm super paranoid that something's not going to work and my tower will burst into flames the minute I plug it in :laugh:

I know the feeling...my ex helped me with my first build and it's been pretty stable but I worry when a hardware piece finally goes I'll break all the things trying to do the repair XD

The only thing that really scared me was doing the cpu mounting. Other than that, it was just 'plug things into more things and pray you did it right. GLHF!

Reactions: 1 user
We got a wiiU for christmas. Still don't have many games for it yet (mostly old Wii games, need to get Smash and Splatoon) but we got the one that comes with Kart 8 and I can often be found shreddin the tracks online :cool: I need to figure out how adding friends on the wii U works because I haven't really done that yet...

You should have an nnid that you sign into the system with, that is all you need to give to people. For example, mine is procyonDVM. Add me! I don't play Mario Kart though, really just Smash and Splatoon on that system...

You should have an nnid that you sign into the system with, that is all you need to give to people. For example, mine is procyonDVM. Add me! I don't play Mario Kart though, really just Smash and Splatoon on that system...
OK, thanks (since I don't know anyone with WiiU I never bothered to try adding friends, didn't know if it required a friend code like 3DS :p) Alright, I'll add you next time I get on! My nnid is amaura! Anyone else here who has a wiiU is welcome to add me as well (or follow me on miiverse :laugh:)

GUYS! THERE'S A NEW POKEMON GAME COMING OUT AND I'M REALLY EXCITED!!! :D

Reactions: 9 users
I won't be getting these games cause I don't have a DS (just my SP), but that commercial really made me smile. lol.:happy:

Members don't see this ad :)
I...started Omega? I think? Yeah. Started it. >>

My SO got me a 3DS for Christmas with a few games too (along with a stethoscope, he does too much). I'm in the middle of Y but haven't played in a few months and I also bought omega ruby? But haven't played. Or maybe it's vice versa. I also never finished white. Lol. Things get too busy, plus I got addicted to animal crossing: new leaf and played everyday for a whole one and a half months straight (thankfully exams out the butt have snapped me out of that streak and it's been a week since I got on)

Reactions: 2 users
I've... played all of the main series games since Red and Blue. :rofl:

</nerd>

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
My SO got me a 3DS for Christmas with a few games too (along with a stethoscope, he does too much). I'm in the middle of Y but haven't played in a few months and I also bought omega ruby? But haven't played. Or maybe it's vice versa. I also never finished white. Lol. Things get too busy, plus I got addicted to animal crossing: new leaf and played everyday for a whole one and a half months straight (thankfully exams out the butt have snapped me out of that streak and it's been a week since I got on)
Animal Crossing is so addictive that it should be illegal.

</nerd>

I used to live in Japan. I...may have gotten in a fight with an eight year old boy about what colors the original pokemon games were.

Reactions: 1 users

</nerd>
Did-we-just-become-best-friends.gif

I used to live in Japan. I...may have gotten in a fight with an eight year old boy about what colors the original pokemon games were.
lol. Green, throwing a wrench in everything?

I wish I had kept up with the games. But I never loved ruby/sapphire, didn't get a DS for pearl/diamond, and then by the time I had some spare time to look back, there were like 600 pokemon and a bunch of new mechanics that I didn't know. And some of the pokemon were ice cream cones, wtf. And so I never got back into it. :laugh:

GUYS! THERE'S A NEW POKEMON GAME COMING OUT AND I'M REALLY EXCITED!!! :D

HYPE

I still haven't completed Alpha Sapphire though :laugh:
I hope this is the generation we FINALLY get a dolphin pokemon...

My favorite so far is definitely Soul Silver. Totally did my high school speech presentation on Pokéwalkers...

My favorite so far is definitely Soul Silver. Totally did my high school speech presentation on Pokéwalkers...
Those are my favorite remakes by far!! :D They really need to bring back the pokemon-walking-behind-you feature, I really adored that.

LOL i still have mine from HG, and used to keep it in my pocket or clipped to take with me EVERYWHERE for the first couple years of undergrad (got the game pretty late), until the batteries died. Still haven't replaced it cause those button-types are kind of a pain to find.
They really need to bring back the pokemon-walking-behind-you feature, I really adored that.
I agree!

</nerd>

Animal Crossing is so addictive that it should be illegal.
Oh man, pokemon is my jam! I've played every game that's ever come out and I'm really excited to hear that there are soon going to be new versions out for me to play.

Also, re: Animal Crossing, that game destroyed my life for almost an entire semester. I can distinctly recall sitting in the back of my O-chem class fishing for sharks on New Leaf. It's worse because I work as an RA on campus, and that game is basically being an RA, except your residents are animals and are significantly less likely to get drunk and/or arrested than real residents.

Other games that took over my life: all of the Phoenix Wright games and the Professor Layton games. :D

Phoooooooenix wriiiiight <33333

The crossover game with Layton wasn't particularly good...but I was squeeing so hard the whole time I just didn't care.

Phoooooooenix wriiiiight <33333

The crossover game with Layton wasn't particularly good...but I was squeeing so hard the whole time I just didn't care.
I don't know how I missed it, but I never even realized there WAS a crossover game! That seems like an interesting choice for a crossover...

I just love puzzles, and also how purely ridiculous most of the Phoenix Wright games are. Plus, the music in the Professor Layton games is amazing.

If you want ridiculous.... You want that game. It's totally worth it for wacky hijinks, and seeing Layton do the objection point.

Plaaaaaaaay it. Play it now.

Have any of you bought any of your consoles used? I kind of want to invest in a DS but I'm behind the times and poor so I'm considering a used on. I've bought used games and used controllers before, but never a console and was just wondering if people tend to have more issues or are usually fine.

Have any of you bought any of your consoles used? I kind of want to invest in a DS but I'm behind the times and poor so I'm considering a used on. I've bought used games and used controllers before, but never a console and was just wondering if people tend to have more issues or are usually fine.

I have before without issue, but for me it depends. I don't think I would buy a used system from an individual unless it was someone I knew personally.

Sometimes you can get refurbished systems from the manufacturer directly (I've seen good deals on DS's before, https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/category.jsp?categoryId=cat20005&navAction=pop&navCount=0) and I believe generally when you buy refurbished direct from the manufacturer it will come with the standard 1 year warranty and it's been tested for quality.

Used or refurbished purchases from third-party retailers (Amazon, Gamestop, etc), depends on the price point. From my understanding those deals usually won't have the 1 year warranty with the manufacturer, but a warranty/replacement plan can be purchased with the retailer beyond the standard 30 day return period. So if it's cheap enough to save a decent amount of cash and have a 1 year coverage still, why not? If the savings aren't significant I'd buy new.

Also I'd like to get another DS eventually too perhaps (I had an old school DS lite years ago and sold it). But for now I've really started drooling over PS4s after playing hours of Bloodborne on my friends.

sleep is so precious during an internship. even still...literally trading sleep for more fire emblem. nobody else???

Nintendo DS people, do you recommend the normal one or the XL? Trying to determine if it's worth the extra price (I'll likely buy refurbished cause I'm poor and have a lot of previous pokemon games to buy to catch up with).

These are my specs!

I used to game back in the day. I played the original Rainbow Six. Still, in my opinion, the best FPS that's ever existed: one-shot kill, super fast game. I played a little bit of Counter Strike and then stopped. I built a custom desktop 2 years ago for my design work and because I'm a nerd. I loaded CS:GO up last year but ended up uninstalling it because I realized I would spend WAY too much time playing it and my schoolwork would take a hit lol.

If anyone wants to play, I'll re-install and play it until vet school starts :p.

Here's MYYYY specs!

wheelin2vetmed said:
Silverstone SG05
ASRock Z87E m-ITX
i7-4770k delidded and OC'ed @ 4.6 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 750-Ti
16GB RAM
256GB Samsung 840 EVO (Main)
120GB Samsung 840 EVO (Photoshop Scratch)
2TB Seagate (Storage) accelerated with 60GB mSATA
Seidon 120XL AIO Cooler
2 x 120mm Nidec Servo GentleTyphoons

IMG_20150525_234635.jpg

My video card isn't all that great, but I wanted a short card because everything listed above is inside a case the size of a shoebox. I also don't really game so I have no constant need for graphical horsepower. Delidding my CPU was one of the the most nerve-racking modifications I've done. The Haswell chips are one of the worst when it comes to thermals. People say Intel used subpar TIM in that generation of chips.

I'll just say, once I delidded and applied this stuff called Coollaboratory Liquid Pro, my temperatures literally decreased by 20C. I was able to hit 4.6 GHz comfortably on my i7 without the temperatures scaring me.

Last edited:
Nintendo DS people, do you recommend the normal one or the XL? Trying to determine if it's worth the extra price (I'll likely buy refurbished cause I'm poor and have a lot of previous pokemon games to buy to catch up with).
Guess it would just depend on whether you feel you'd get more enjoyment from a larger (WAYYY bigger) screen, or would prefer a more compact device. Personally I prefer my original sized one (I prefer smaller phones over giant android ones too). It's purple :D

There is also the 2DS at an even lower price point (does not fold up but is otherwise the same as a regular 3ds, minus the 3D ability), but from reviews I've watched it seems a little cheaply constructed/"plastic-y" in comparison to the regular 3ds/3ds XL. So unless you could find a really great price on a used one or don't care much about the look/feel of the device, I'm not sure if the slightly lower MSRP is worth the overall change in quality...I feel like it should be even a little cheaper than it is considering the removal of those features!

Guess it would just depend on whether you feel you'd get more enjoyment from a larger (WAYYY bigger) screen, or would prefer a more compact device. Personally I prefer my original sized one (I prefer smaller phones over giant android ones too). It's purple :D

There is also the 2DS at an even lower price point (does not fold up but is otherwise the same as a regular 3ds, minus the 3D ability), but from reviews I've watched it seems a little cheaply constructed/"plastic-y" in comparison to the regular 3ds/3ds XL. So unless you could find a really great price on a used one or don't care much about the look/feel of the device, I'm not sure if the slightly lower MSRP is worth the overall change in quality...I feel like it should be even a little cheaper than it is considering the removal of those features!

I caved and actually got the New 3DS which looks like it only comes in XL. The face recognition for the 3D effects and the C-stick kind of sold me, as I'd also like to play games like Zelda OoT or MM and I think it would be a bit easier and that the effects would be cool in those games. Maybe I'll regret it later from a $$ standpoint, but I haven't bought a new system in a while, so I figured might as well.

Reactions: 3 users
I seriously love my 3Ds XL, was playing on the old smaller 3DS for a loooong time. The larger screen and larger surface just feels better. And I have a nifty pokeball carrying case for it :cool:

All this gameboy and Pokémon talk lead me to dig up my old GBA SP. I have my Pokémon yellow game (silver is missing, probably at my parents). I'm not looking to buy a whole new console but it would be fun to try out another Pokémon game. Any recommendations for GBA? Crystal and Emerald look tempting.

Also, where's the best place to buy old/used games? Amazon? Ebay? I doubt GameStop has them anymore.

All this gameboy and Pokémon talk lead me to dig up my old GBA SP. I have my Pokémon yellow game (silver is missing, probably at my parents). I'm not looking to buy a whole new console but it would be fun to try out another Pokémon game. Any recommendations for GBA? Crystal and Emerald look tempting.

Also, where's the best place to buy old/used games? Amazon? Ebay? I doubt GameStop has them anymore.

I'm going home this weekend to pick up my new 3DS and I'm going to grab my SP. Hopefully the thing still works. I'm more worried about the time battery being dead on my games and I'm not sure if I can take it somewhere to get a new one placed.

I feel like I'd go to ebay and just use people with high reviews or who seem to be online game companies. There were some Pokemon Golds on there for like $35 used with a new time battery. Buying anything new is probably hard and many $$$.

I caved and actually got the New 3DS which looks like it only comes in XL. The face recognition for the 3D effects and the C-stick kind of sold me, as I'd also like to play games like Zelda OoT or MM and I think it would be a bit easier and that the effects would be cool in those games. Maybe I'll regret it later from a $$ standpoint, but I haven't bought a new system in a while, so I figured might as well.
Ohh, I totally didn't even think about the New 3DS :smack: Good choice, I hope you love it!
I had to sell my old DS lite to scrape up enough for my 3DS back then, so I definitely won't be buying a new handheld until this generation's gone obsolete :p (those special edition Pokemon red/green/blue/yellow 2DS's that are out in Japan right now kinda tempt me though...they're just so cool looking)

I still have my very first GBC (purple!), my GBA, and my brother's GBA SP. I actually kind of miss my old DS just because it was so cute (it was a pale pink one), but it would've been pretty useless to keep since 3DS are backwards compatible...
And I never bought an actual case so I carry my 3ds/games around in the same 2 old Pokemon cases that I used to keep my GBC and GBA in :D one reason why I like the little size. (I am small though so can definitely see how the XL would be more comfortable for most adults)

Got the message today that my DS and games are ready for pick-up at my Target at home (only had it done there because they had everything while the Target here didn't have it in stock). Is it bad to drive 1-1.5 hours there and back just to pick up a video game???

ETA: Think I'm actually going to drive to get them. They'll only hold it for like a day or two and I dunno when my mom is getting back from MI because she had to go out of town for a funeral.

GUYS! I'm already so excited. The opening for AlphaSapphire has already made this purchase worth it for me. Hahaha. Plus the 3D is pretty cool. I have to turn it down a bit to avoid a headache though.

Reactions: 4 users

Both Crystal and Emerald are great choices! FireRed and LeafGreen are fantastic remakes of Red and Blue, but if you've got Yellow already and are content with that, then there's not terribly much different outside of a few new areas and updated graphics/mechanics.

As for the second question, I'd say eBay. Just be careful when buying the GBA games in particular; they're very easy to bootleg and fake copies run rampant on the site. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is; I'd stick with trusted sellers. For the GBC games, though, you're pretty much safe. I would definitely try to get a copy of Crystal with a new battery installed, if possible. The original Gold, Silver, and Crystal cartridges are notorious for having their batteries die and lose the ability to keep save files thanks to the real-time clock.

Both Crystal and Emerald are great choices! FireRed and LeafGreen are fantastic remakes of Red and Blue, but if you've got Yellow already and are content with that, then there's not terribly much different outside of a few new areas and updated graphics/mechanics.

As for the second question, I'd say eBay. Just be careful when buying the GBA games in particular; they're very easy to bootleg and fake copies run rampant on the site. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. For the GBC games, though, you're safe. I would definitely try to get a copy of Crystal with a new battery installed, if possible. The original Gold, Silver, and Crystal cartridges are notorious for having their batteries die and losing the ability to keep save files thanks to the real-time clock.
That awful moment when you turn on your Crystal game for the first time in 4 years only to find out your 150 hr game is corrupt/unable to save:
nooooooo_elf.gif

So please please get the new battery if you are going to buy C/G/S!

That awful moment when you turn on your Crystal game for the first time in 4 years only to find out your 150 hr game is corrupt/unable to save:
nooooooo_elf.gif

So please please get the new battery if you are going to buy C/G/S!
Alternatively, you could just buy a cheap cartridge and replace the battery yourself (I've done it; it's not that difficult), but it requires special screw bits and also sorta depends on how comfortable you are with soldering.