OT: Pre-vet Gamers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That awful moment when you turn on your Crystal game for the first time in 4 years only to find out your 150 hr game is corrupt/unable to save:
nooooooo_elf.gif

So please please get the new battery if you are going to buy C/G/S!

Had this happen to me with a 200+ hours FF tactics advance file... that sinking moment when you realize you just literally lost >1 week of your life, oh man.

Members don't see this ad.

Kinda scared to check my Yellow cartridge...it was still kicking last time I booted it up, but now it's been a couple years since even then :p They're not supposed to die nearly as quickly as the G/S/C ones with the internal clock, but it's still like 16 years old.

Though, I guess it would give me a reason to start over.

Kinda scared to check my Yellow cartridge...it was still kicking last time I booted it up, but now it's been a couple years since even then :p They're not supposed to die nearly as quickly as the G/S/C ones with the internal clock, but it's still like 16 years old.

I have the same thoughts. All this Pokemon talk is making me want to boot up my old games. Haven't checked any of them in quite awhile.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going home this weekend to pick up my new 3DS and I'm going to grab my SP. Hopefully the thing still works. I'm more worried about the time battery being dead on my games and I'm not sure if I can take it somewhere to get a new one placed.

I feel like I'd go to ebay and just use people with high reviews or who seem to be online game companies. There were some Pokemon Golds on there for like $35 used with a new time battery. Buying anything new is probably hard and many $$$.
Amazingly my yellow is still working
Both Crystal and Emerald are great choices! FireRed and LeafGreen are fantastic remakes of Red and Blue, but if you've got Yellow already and are content with that, then there's not terribly much different outside of a few new areas and updated graphics/mechanics.

As for the second question, I'd say eBay. Just be careful when buying the GBA games in particular; they're very easy to bootleg and fake copies run rampant on the site. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is; I'd stick with trusted sellers. For the GBC games, though, you're pretty much safe. I would definitely try to get a copy of Crystal with a new battery installed, if possible. The original Gold, Silver, and Crystal cartridges are notorious for having their batteries die and lose the ability to keep save files thanks to the real-time clock.
Thanks! I'm leaning towards emerald since my silver should be somewhere at my parents (going home for Easter) or my house and I think that's fairly similar to crystal? Also, it'd be nice to have a game that doesn't stick out from the bottom of my SP. :p Although it seems to run a little more expensive too. Do you think the GBA ones need to come with a new battery?

Thanks! I'm leaning towards emerald since my silver should be somewhere at my parents (going home for Easter) or my house and I think that's fairly similar to crystal? Also, it'd be nice to have a game that doesn't stick out from the bottom of my SP. :p Although it seems to run a little more expensive too. Do you think the GBA ones need to come with a new battery?
The GBA games, while they do have batteries, do not store the save file on it. Instead, they use a flash-based memory system. The batteries can still run dry, but it's much less dangerous in those games since the save isn't on it (I'm pretty sure the only function of the battery in these games is to keep track of time, and I actually don't even think that FireRed or LeafGreen have a battery at all because there are no time-based events). If I remember correctly, there's only a very few specific time-based events -- berry growing is one of the ones that comes to mind -- that will no longer function if the internal battery is dead. But you will still be able to play and save the game normally otherwise. If you can find a copy of Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald without a new battery for cheaper, I'd just go ahead and go for it IMO.

That awful moment when you turn on your Crystal game for the first time in 4 years only to find out your 150 hr game is corrupt/unable to save:
nooooooo_elf.gif

So please please get the new battery if you are going to buy C/G/S!

This is my biggest fear every time I turn on Silver. I've been letting the bf play with my SP, so he restarted Blue (it was beat using Gameshark by someone else, so nothing amazing on there).

Also, I like don't know what to do with my Yellow. I'd like to play it again at some point, but I don't want to lose my Mew.

Being involved with this WW game is really making me want to pick up Soul Silver again. By far my favorite Pokémon game. Downside is I have looong lost my Pokéwalker, and the cheapest ones I can find online are $40...

Being involved with this WW game is really making me want to pick up Soul Silver again. By far my favorite Pokémon game. Downside is I have looong lost my Pokéwalker, and the cheapest ones I can find online are $40...

I was so distraught yesterday because I was too busy to get any Pokemon game time in because of clinics. I have off tomorrow so I'm probably going to play like all day.

I was so distraught yesterday because I was too busy to get any Pokemon game time in because of clinics. I have off tomorrow so I'm probably going to play like all day.

For Christmas I got a 3DS and like 3 new Pokemon games (have y'all played Pokemon dungeon? It's different but I like it). I haven't even had time to start any of them besides one and this WW has me wanting to play them all.. I never even finished soul silver either!

Anyone here
A) A RWBY fan
B) Play Grimm Eclipse through steam
C) Wants to play some rounds with me sometime?

Totally just bought 3 more Pokemon games from ebay as a packaged deal for $40. Seemed like a decent price since I kept seeing the individual games usually listed from $15-25 each. Watching a few other games as well.

Anyone have suggestions for games outside of the Pokemon world they like? I saw Fire Emblem mentioned, and I'm planning on getting a bunch of Zelda ones and Super Smash Bros.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Totally just bought 3 more Pokemon games from ebay as a packaged deal for $40. Seemed like a decent price since I kept seeing the individual games usually listed from $15-25 each. Watching a few other games as well.

Anyone have suggestions for games outside of the Pokemon world they like? I saw Fire Emblem mentioned, and I'm planning on getting a bunch of Zelda ones and Super Smash Bros.
Yes x1000 to Fire Emblem. It's a tactical game with feels.

Golden Sun series is also fabulous.

Definitely Smash, there is also Animal Crossing (the kind of game that you can put hundreds of hours into...over time!)
Outside of the main pokemon line but still pokemon-related, there is a cute simple game series called Pokemon Rumble (if you don't want to buy the previous 3DS version, there's a newer freemium one on the eshop! I am too addicted to trying to collect all the pokemon...)

This is semi-related since it's more an app than an actual "game", but has anyone gotten Miitomo? first smartphone app/game from nintendo (until pokemon Go comes out I guess!)

Reactions: 1 users

I definitely say YES to Fire Emblem! Fates was released not too long ago, so if you want to jump in with that, it'll be easy to find.

In addition to the Rumble side series that Dev mentioned above, I'm also a big fan of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon -- they're much more emotional and story-driven than the main series games, if you're into that sort of thing. Super Myster Dungeon was the last one to be released, but I personally like the first few installments more.

Animal Crossing is definitely fun, too, but just be forewarned that it is EXTREMELY addictive. Like... very much so. It's one of those games you really have to play religiously every day in order to reap the full effect of. That being said, it's much more relaxing, slice-of-life type of game (sort of like an animal version of the Sims, if you've played any of those), so it does function well as a de-stresser.

In terms of Zelda games, if you've never played the original N64 releases of Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask (or even if you have!), the 3DS remakes are a great starting point. There's also Triforce Heroes, which I personally haven't played, but I have heard many good things about; it's really much more multiplayer-oriented, though.

And I second the recommendation of Super Smash Bros.

Honestly, there are so many good games available to play on the 3DS (and DS, since it is backwards compatible) that you can't really go too wrong at all if you stick with the established first- and second-party Nintendo franchise stuff.

@Devastating i haven't picked up Miitomo yet, but I've seen lots of cool things people have done/made with the app. I'll probably get it pretty soon!

Everything ketoone said about Animal Crossing is true!
In addition to the Rumble side series that Dev mentioned above, I'm also a big fan of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon -- they're much more emotional and story-driven than the main series games, if you're into that sort of thing. Super Myster Dungeon was the last one to be released, but I personally like the first few installments more.
I still need to get a Mystery Dungeon game, I've never played any other than demos and a bit of the old GBA ones on ROM (but as people have mentioned, playing on an actual handheld is so much better!)

Thanks guys! I've just been so out of the gaming world for a while, that I'm behind and don't really know where to start. Haha. And I have definitely played the original OoT. By far one of my favorite games for N64. My friend and I from high school would just go to each other's houses and play hours of Zelda and then later on, it was hours of Halo.

This isn't *exactly* a game, but the Phoenix Wright anime just started and squeeeeeeeeeee.....:claps::claps::claps:

This isn't *exactly* a game, but the Phoenix Wright anime just started and squeeeeeeeeeee.....:claps::claps::claps:
tumblr_lyyd88Mtuv1rn95k2o1_250.gif

Details, please? If it's free to watch, I want to see it. It's an awesome game series (though I admit, I've only played 1st game and Apollo Justice. I need to download the collection sometime.)

tumblr_lyyd88Mtuv1rn95k2o1_250.gif

Details, please? If it's free to watch, I want to see it. It's an awesome game series (though I admit, I've only played 1st game and Apollo Justice. I need to download the collection sometime.)

It looks like it's following the events of the first game, so that's appropriate! It's almost an exact a scene by scene copy. Only one episode out so far and it covered the first case in entirety.

As for watching...it's being carried by crunchy roll, but you need a subscription to access it. I don't think it's been licensed yet, so it's also probably available on the horrible subs website.

A Link Between Worlds is a fantastic addition to the LoZ universe

Smash and Animal Crossing are good recommendations too.

In other news, I got a capture card so I can fulfill my lifelong dream of streaming myself playing video games to an audience of trolls on twitch. 8)

Been playing Twilight Princess HD the past few days; loving going through the game again!

Any PC/PS4 gamers + Pokemon fans? Can't believe I have not found this thread until today. Feel like I missed out! What games are you all most looking forward to this year? From what I gather from couple of previous posts, I see a lot of nintendo related discussions!

Any PC/PS4 gamers + Pokemon fans? Can't believe I have not found this thread until today. Feel like I missed out! What games are you all most looking forward to this year? From what I gather from couple of previous posts, I see a lot of nintendo related discussions!
Can I claim all of the above? :D

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a Nintendo fangirl through and through I'm afraid. I like a few games on the Sony and Microsoft systems (mostly some of the RPGs like FF, SMT, etc and Katamari) and of course I got my start in fps with quake 3 on the PC but with limited time to play video games my library has pretty much diminished to Nintendo stuff only.

I NEED Pokken asap. And smash too, since I still only have that on 3ds!

Other than nintendo stuff I have PS2/PS3 and PC. No Xbox.

Would you say it's worth buying the Wii U for?

I mean, I wouldn't say Twilight Princess HD is worth buying the Wii U alone for. I don't have many games for it (only Hyrule Warriors, Windwaker HD, and Super Mario World 3D thus far). I bought my Wii U originally for Zelda U when it was supposed to be coming out much sooner. So, get it if there are a few games you think you want to play. If not, then maybe hold off for the NX. I have a feeling Zelda U is going to have a dual release for the Wii U/NX (so it may just be worth it to wait for that...) I honestly haven't played much of my Wii U.

I'm a Nintendo fangirl through and through I'm afraid. I like a few games on the Sony and Microsoft systems (mostly some of the RPGs like FF, SMT, etc and Katamari) and of course I got my start in fps with quake 3 on the PC but with limited time to play video games my library has pretty much diminished to Nintendo stuff only.

Understandable. I have mostly turned to playing pokemon on 3DS due to lack of time :( many RPG games (on non-portable consoles) nowadays involve hardcord gaming time/effort.. I have been enjoying Tales of Zestiria on PS4 though, nothing like some good JRPG!! :D

I NEED Pokken asap. And smash too, since I still only have that on 3ds!

Other than nintendo stuff I have PS2/PS3 and PC. No Xbox.

Pokken looked sooooo good, but I can't afford WiiU only for Pokken, and I'm pretty sure that's the only game I'd play on it :'(

Pokken looked sooooo good, but I can't afford WiiU only for Pokken, and I'm pretty sure that's the only game I'd play on it :'(
I used to think that pretty much the only game I would want on Wii U was Smash. But now that we have one, I'm in need of so many other games too! (though at the moment we only have a few actual wiiU games, the rest are old Wii. Still haven't started original Twilight Princess)

:banana:Bumping for Sun/Moon hype

Reactions: 9 users
Everyone I know is super excited about the dapper little owl
Personally, I like the seal more. Grass-owl's still cool - Fly-capable and very cute. I'm not a fan of the cat, though - it looks kind of boring right now.

At least the cat doesn't look like it'll grow into a Fire/Fighting :D. We've had way too many Fire/Fighting starters.

The japanese trailer has a little bit more info that people have gleaned and is much more of a feels punch:

I'm stupid excited for these game and I haven't played like the last three generations. Not really sure why.

Last edited:
I was wondering when someone was going to post it. :)

I'm super torn between Rowlet and Popplio for my starter. I know I'm definitely picking up Moon -- the legendary looks boss!

I really do hope that Litten becomes Fire/Dark upon evolution, though. Its design seems to possibly imply that. Like Zensing said, I'm just happy that it looks like it won't be yet another Fire/Fighting (though I guess, to be fair, Delphox from X/Y was Fire/Psychic, which broke the trend and was pretty cool).

Everyone I know is super excited about the dapper little owl
I was definitely most excited for the owl at first watch (even though I'm not much of a grass starter person, the only other time I chose that was for Snivy), but I always have to see the final evolutions of them all before anything is set in stone. Last time in XY I was torn between froakie and fennekin but ended up on froakie because I loved greninja.

Not sure what version I'll get though since I have to do the coordination thing with siblings, ha ha. I love that bat legendary but would be fine with either so I'll have to wait and see which one my sister prefers.

I have a feeling that the cat might end up fire/dark, it sure looks it at least! I saw someone's art that was speculating/hoping that the evolutions would be bomb-themed. I can get on board with that because of both the name LITten, and that the tail looks a bit like a fuse. Plus, the given description says that litten is "logical" and "coolheaded", that could possibly foreshadow a change in future evolutions when it gets "explosive." I'm so excited to see what Rowlet and Popplio will evolve into though :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't wait for the final evolutions, that's when I make my decisions because realistically that's what you're going to be seeing most of the time (having to look at Marshtomp to get to Swampert was the worst :p) . I'm definitely getting Moon, leaning towards Rowlet because owls are cool. Pretty sure the only other grass starter I have ever taken was Turtwig because Torterra was neat.

But I want something to play now...

Do any of you have ESO for PS4? Thoughts, good or bad?

Do any of you have ESO for PS4? Thoughts, good or bad?

Not PS4, but for PC. I've seen it for the PS4, though - looks similar to Skyrim/Oblivion. It's a beautiful game and I really love it. I was really big on Oblivion (Xbox 360 version), spent countless hours on getting all of the achievements and doing the side quests, DLC, etc. I didn't get to play Skyrim because reasons, but I actually built my current PC so that I could play ESO. I'm really bad about doing school work while playing video games on the side - it's usually only one or the other for me - so I haven't gotten to play ESO much, though I'd really like to. I think I'm going to reinstall now since I have a month off from school, lol.

Anyway - don't know if you've played it for the PC or not - but it's essentially Skyrim/Oblivion online. Super pretty game. Challenging, but not crazy difficult or anything. Not everyone is into it, but I really like it, if you couldn't tell. :p

Sorry, this probably didn't help hahahah.

Not PS4, but for PC. I've seen it for the PS4, though - looks similar to Skyrim/Oblivion. It's a beautiful game and I really love it. I was really big on Oblivion (Xbox 360 version), spent countless hours on getting all of the achievements and doing the side quests, DLC, etc. I didn't get to play Skyrim because reasons, but I actually built my current PC so that I could play ESO. I'm really bad about doing school work while playing video games on the side - it's usually only one or the other for me - so I haven't gotten to play ESO much, though I'd really like to. I think I'm going to reinstall now since I have a month off from school, lol.

Anyway - don't know if you've played it for the PC or not - but it's essentially Skyrim/Oblivion online. Super pretty game. Challenging, but not crazy difficult or anything. Not everyone is into it, but I really like it, if you couldn't tell. :p

Sorry, this probably didn't help hahahah.
No, I haven't had it for PC! I've heard good things about the PC game..but I'm pretty much a bum this summer and am looking for games. I've always been a WoW girl, but the lack of subscription fees for ESO is reaaaaally looking good to me right now. I'll probably get it because it's only $20 at my local Gamestop...not a huge chunk of change.

I also wish there was a Sims game for PS4. Makes me glad I still have my PS2.

No, I haven't had it for PC! I've heard good things about the PC game..but I'm pretty much a bum this summer and am looking for games. I've always been a WoW girl, but the lack of subscription fees for ESO is reaaaaally looking good to me right now. I'll probably get it because it's only $20 at my local Gamestop...not a huge chunk of change.

I also wish there was a Sims game for PS4. Makes me glad I still have my PS2.

Hahahah yes!!! I played Sims on the PS2 as well! I was also a WoW girl for many years, but I quit this past December or so. It super boring for me now and just..not worth it :p