General Admissions & OTCAS OT Prospect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edouard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I have graduated with bachelor's and looking to get into OT. I am a black male, age 23. I'm planning on retaking a couple of classes to better my gpa, which is around 2.75. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do extra or if I'm planning the right way? Very stressed lol

Members don't see this ad.

Tell me a little bit about yourself. Where did you go to school? What is pre-requisite GPA? Did you take the GRE? What did you major in? Any cool extracurriculars or awards?

I am also a black male (who happens to be 23) and I am trying to get in as well. A 2.75 will not be enough as the vast majority of the programs require at least a 3.0. I have a 3.2 and I am not even sure if I'm getting in, lol. However, if your last 60 credits are above a 3.0, there are many programs who only look at those. Check out my YouTube channel, called Dobber OT. There you can get some information about admissions and stuff.

Tell me a little bit about yourself. Where did you go to school? What is pre-requisite GPA? Did you take the GRE? What did you major in? Any cool extracurriculars or awards?

I am also a black male (who happens to be 23) and I am trying to get in as well. A 2.75 will not be enough as the vast majority of the programs require at least a 3.0. I have a 3.2 and I am not even sure if I'm getting in, lol. However, if your last 60 credits are above a 3.0, there are many programs who only look at those. Check out my YouTube channel, called Dobber OT. There you can get some information about admissions and stuff.

I went to Lindenwood U (private school in STL) Not sue what my prereq gpa will be. Planning on retaking a few courses. Do they count the old courses in gpa in addition to the new ones? 2.75 right now. Took the GRE got a 150 in both, 4 in writing, but retaking it next month. Lots of extracurriculars (variety/leadership roles/church based). 50 observation hours but going for at least 100 by next month. Currently my last 60 credits (not cumulative) is 2.99. I plan on working on all of this the whole year.

Hey guys. I am empathetic to your situation because I had below a 3.0 when I applied to OT school. It is possible though. It is competitive and it is more difficult but you got to convince them that you are not only a good applicant but you are better then other applicants. Make yourself standout.

It is important to read through the admission process. There is overall gpa, undergraduate gpa, prereq gpa, last 60 units gpa. Most school consider last 60 gpa and prereq gpa more because it is more accurate in depicting your performance in ot school. I would look in to applying to schools that are 3.0 recommended instead of 3.0 minimum. Also look in to schools that do interviews. This gives you a chance for schools to know you and show off what a gpa score cannot tell them. Schools that do not do interviews will weigh your application based on your stats and with a low GPA.