General Admissions & OTCAS OT school interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeOT2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have an interview next Friday for one of my schools and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips on these interviews? What are common questions that are asked during these interviews? Anyone experienced some curveball questions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I have an interview next Friday for one of my schools and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips on these interviews? What are common questions that are asked during these interviews? Anyone experienced some curveball questions?

Thanks!

Hey! Congratulations on getting an interview invitation!

Here are some of the questions they asked me:
-Why OT and not another healthcare field?
-What is your favorite book?
-What is OT?
-How have you handled a conflict?

Here is a website I used last year to prepare:
http://sciencepreps.iupui.edu/occupational-physical-therapy-programs-interview-questions

Also, make sure you research the school you are interview and learn about them. The faculty also welcomes questions you may have to clarify anything about the program. So the more you know about the program, the better and more serious you look :)

Good luck! You'll be great!

Thanks!
Of course, anticipate the "Tell me about yourself" question.
Definitely be able to distinguish OT vs PT vs Speech. (don't say OT does upper extremities and PT does lower extremities!! lol)
Strengths and weaknesses.
Be prepared for ethical questions and other situational type questions- conflict, group dynamics, etc.
Why do you want to be an OT?
How might your educational background or other experiences contribute to your success in graduate study?
Cultural questions- how do you handle diversity?
Be able to articulate what you saw in your observations and maybe what stood out to you or aspects that interested you.
How would you describe OT for a friend?
How will graduate study be different than undergrad?
Why do you want to attend this program? (make sure you do your research about the program, mission, values, etc.)
Why do you think you'll make a good OT?
What qualities should an OT have?
In one of my interviews, I actually had to act out an intervention.
An interesting interview question was a situational question where I was asked if I had a patient enter rehab from the hospital setting and had to do an eval that day, what would I look at first (bathing, grooming, or dressing) and why?--I think they are looking for your ability to critically reason in questions like that. There wasn't necessarily a right or wrong answer from what they told me.
Maybe reflect on some of your leadership skills and experiences you had where you demonstrated these skills.
If community service is important to this program, definitely articulate how you have participated in community service.

And of course, be confident. Smile. Treat the interview like a conservation rather than something rehearsed.
Use the interview as an opportunity to shine and show your passion about OT. I hope this helps. :) Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

Adding on here some questions I was asked in interviews:
Why OT?
Why do you want to attend our program?
What are some current issues facing the field of OT?
What major life event affected your decision to go into OT?
Some ethical questions, such as: what would you do if you noticed a classmate was looking at your paper during an exam?
What would you do if you were asked to perform a treatment in which you are not trained in and this treatment has very minimal risks to the patient? (I wasn't expecting this question!)

Best of luck! :)

Hey! Congratulations on getting an interview invitation!

Here are some of the questions they asked me:
-Why OT and not another healthcare field?
-What is your favorite book?
-What is OT?
-How have you handled a conflict?

Here is a website I used last year to prepare:
http://sciencepreps.iupui.edu/occupational-physical-therapy-programs-interview-questions

Also, make sure you research the school you are interview and learn about them. The faculty also welcomes questions you may have to clarify anything about the program. So the more you know about the program, the better and more serious you look :)

Good luck! You'll be great!

I actually wrote out my responses for those questions!

What are some good questions to ask? Is asking how they prep student for the NBCOT a good question?

I actually wrote out my responses for those questions!

What are some good questions to ask? Is asking how they prep student for the NBCOT a good question?

I asked what was their percetage of students that passed the NBCOT their firt time taking it. You can then go into how they make sure their students succeed. I also asked as to how the faculty or department handled any students stressing out or performing poorly. I also asked about any research the faculty is working on that the students can be a part of.

I am looking to write a post about interviews on my blog. Hopefully I get to publish it this weekend. This is my first week of classes and I have been super busy lol.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Of course, anticipate the "Tell me about yourself" question.
Definitely be able to distinguish OT vs PT vs Speech. (don't say OT does upper extremities and PT does lower extremities!! lol)
Strengths and weaknesses.
Be prepared for ethical questions and other situational type questions- conflict, group dynamics, etc.
Why do you want to be an OT?
How might your educational background or other experiences contribute to your success in graduate study?
Cultural questions- how do you handle diversity?
Be able to articulate what you saw in your observations and maybe what stood out to you or aspects that interested you.
How would you describe OT for a friend?
How will graduate study be different than undergrad?
Why do you want to attend this program? (make sure you do your research about the program, mission, values, etc.)
Why do you think you'll make a good OT?
What qualities should an OT have?
In one of my interviews, I actually had to act out an intervention.
An interesting interview question was a situational question where I was asked if I had a patient enter rehab from the hospital setting and had to do an eval that day, what would I look at first (bathing, grooming, or dressing) and why?--I think they are looking for your ability to critically reason in questions like that. There wasn't necessarily a right or wrong answer from what they told me.
Maybe reflect on some of your leadership skills and experiences you had where you demonstrated these skills.
If community service is important to this program, definitely articulate how you have participated in community service.

And of course, be confident. Smile. Treat the interview like a conservation rather than something rehearsed.
Use the interview as an opportunity to shine and show your passion about OT. I hope this helps. :) Good luck!!

Hmmm for the eval question... I would say Bathing because that would give me an overall analysis of their whole body mechanics? Dressing and grooming seem a bit more specific?

Adding on here some questions I was asked in interviews:
Why OT?
Why do you want to attend our program?
What are some current issues facing the field of OT?
What major life event affected your decision to go into OT?
Some ethical questions, such as: what would you do if you noticed a classmate was looking at your paper during an exam?
What would you do if you were asked to perform a treatment in which you are not trained in and this treatment has very minimal risks to the patient? (I wasn't expecting this question!)

Best of luck! :)

Is there an article regarding the issues facing OT? I can't seem to find too many on the web. :(

Thanks guys for all your help!

I asked what was their percetage of students that passed the NBCOT their firt time taking it. You can then go into how they make sure their students succeed. I also asked as to how the faculty or department handled any students stressing out or performing poorly. I also asked about any research the faculty is working on that the students can be a part of.

I am looking to write a post about interviews on my blog. Hopefully I get to publish it this weekend. This is my first week of classes and I have been super busy lol.

Good luck!

Oooo yeah that's a good question.

Let me know when you publish it! I love to read OT blogs, they're very insightful.

Reactions: 1 user
A good way to find out issues facing OTs is to search AOTA and your state OT association and find out what they determine is important with regards to legislation, lobbying and advocacy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users