Other OT-Related Information OTA vs. OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the comparison of OTA to OT the same as the comparison of an RN to an APRN?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not too familiar with nursing but I think a better comparison is the following:

Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant to Occupational Therapist.
Certified Nursing Assistant to Register Nurse.
An OT can get more specialty in a specific area which is parallel to someone becoming Advance Practice Register Nurse.

I'm not too familiar with nursing but I think a better comparison is the following:

Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant to Occupational Therapist.
Certified Nursing Assistant to Register Nurse.
An OT can get more specialty in a specific area which is parallel to someone becoming Advance Practice Register Nurse.

But a cna is certificate where as ota is a degree program similar to rn

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the comparison of OTA to OT the same as the comparison of an RN to an APRN?
no not an equivalent, but in general do not become an ota if you have a choice, go straight to ot. in most places otas do the same as ots and get paid less . in the future OTAs may have issues getting work bc of all the health changes in payment/reimbursment. also OT is going to require a Doctorate around 2025 so employer will be wanting therspists with higher degrees

no not an equivalent, but in general do not become an ota if you have a choice, go straight to ot. in most places otas do the same as ots and get paid less . in the future OTAs may have issues getting work bc of all the health changes in payment/reimbursment. also OT is going to require a Doctorate around 2025 so employer will be wanting therspists with higher degrees

Why isn't it equivalent?

Certification and degrees are just the process to attain information. In terms of roles and responsibilities, OTs and RNs are both independent practitioners and are consider generalists. The assistance cannot sign off anything independently and the responsibilities if anything happens goes back to the OTs and RNs. Further specialties exists for experience and credential practitioners. That is why I think APRN is parallel say an OT who is board specialized or certificated specialized in a particular demographic or setting.

Certification and degrees are just the process to attain information. In terms of roles and responsibilities, OTs and RNs are both independent practitioners and are consider generalists. The assistance cannot sign off anything independently and the responsibilities if anything happens goes back to the OTs and RNs. Further specialties exists for experience and credential practitioners. That is why I think APRN is parallel say an OT who is board specialized or certificated specialized in a particular demographic or setting.

An rn is not an independent practitioner. They need to work under the scope of a PA, APRN or MD

Thank you for pointing this out. I still consider RN and OT as generalist professionals which is why I group them in the same level. Both are recent graduate the come out with an entry level degree.
An rn is not an independent practitioner. They need to work under the scope of a PA, APRN or MD