General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS verification 2014-2015 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would like to apply but some of my prereqs are over 5 years old. I have been working in the mental health field for about 10 years and I double majored in Psych and Human Dev. Do you know how strict they are with the 5 year rule?

I know Midwestern is strict on the 5 year rule. My A&P was sitting at 6 years and I was told that had to retake them. For what it is worth...

Members don't see this ad.

Verified! I submitted 9/15, just got the email notice

I was verified this afternoon. Submitted 09/15 late at night. Good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I haven't taken medical terminology and a few schools I'm apply to require it. Should I list it as planned on OTCAS even if I haven't registered for the course yet?

So, I haven't taken medical terminology and a few schools I'm apply to require it. Should I list it as planned on OTCAS even if I haven't registered for the course yet?

I actually forgot to list medical terminology as a planned course. I am in the same boat as you where I never took med terminology but I need to. I researched cheaper online medical terminology courses and then I emailed programs asking if they would except the class. I still haven't signed up for the course sign-up starts October 7. I told the schools I would email them a copy of the transcript once I finish the course. They were fine with that.

Has anyone been notified about an interview yet ?

I was emailed and told I will get an email about interview dates soon... lol

I had a question... If I submit to some schools now, then decide later to submit to another school. Does it have to go through verification again or does it immediately go to the school?

I had a question... If I submit to some schools now, then decide later to submit to another school. Does it have to go through verification again or does it immediately go to the school?

It should go immediately!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind if I ask which school you received an email about an interview from?
Alabama at Birmingham. Seems like protocol to me.. That they reviewed my app to see that I submitted everything... I did... And are sayig they'll invite me to an interview later? I guess they invite everyone that qualifies?

I submitted on September 20th, and was verified today.

Submitted mine on the 9/24 and still waiting! I heard 9/19 was verified 3 days ago.

Can anyone give me information on how the seat deposits work for OT programs?
Are they just a non-refundable deposit to save your seat in the class, or do you HAVE to attend that school or otherwise pay tuition for the first semester, or so. I am mostly concerned about this for Temple. I know you have 2 weeks to make your decision after being notified.I just don't want to commit to an out of state school when my top choice is an in-state school and ranked higher.

That is great information! Thanks! I submitted on September 28, so I'm glad to know it is in the 20s now!

I submitted on 9/24 so as soon as mine is verified I'll let you know. I'm hoping it will be verified tomorrow or tuesday.

For those of you who have been verified, did you have all your LOR and transcripts entered and received?

I'm doing the finishing touches on my PS and I want to submit within the next week or so but since OTCAS has been so behind I thought that if you had everything already it would move along faster.

For those of you who have been verified, did you have all your LOR and transcripts entered and received?

I'm doing the finishing touches on my PS and I want to submit within the next week or so but since OTCAS has been so behind I thought that if you had everything already it would move along faster.
I had everything in.

I would submit it now if you know that your LOR and transcripts are on their way. When you submit you reserve your place on line for verification. I waited for all except for one of my transcripts to be received when I submitted. My submission date was 8/31 and I was not verified until 9/17. Since they received my transcript within those dates it was fine and my application was verified once they got to the applications submitted on 8/31.

Thanks @jas22492 I'm actually waiting on my personal statement to be reviewed and I'll be sure to submit once that's done while making sure my LOR's get submitted asap.

As for the activities and accommodations section, I don't know if I'm not writing enough. Can someone please give me an example of their description of either a volunteer experience or extra curricular experience.

Last edited:
I submitted my application on 9/25 and it was verified today 10/15

I submitted mine on 9/24 and they contacted me today because they didn't know how to factor something in from my transcript. I emailed and spoke with them around noon today and was hoping it would have been verified, but it wasn't. Hoping for tomorrow!

Application submitted: 10/16

Date currently being verified: 9/22

I submitted my application on September 29th and was verified this morning!

My OTCAS GPA is better than I thought it'd be!

Reactions: 1 users
Sad to see how slow this process is!! I submitted October 18. They are currently verifying 9/28. Good luck everyone!

Does anyone think there is any benefit to applying to programs that have the combined BS/MOT when you have a bachelors? Yes I will have to spend more time in school, but do you think they will be more likely to take me?

Does anyone think there is any benefit to applying to programs that have the combined BS/MOT when you have a bachelors? Yes I will have to spend more time in school, but do you think they will be more likely to take me?

What is your degree already in? I have no idea if they will be more likely to take you, but do you really want to do 5 years to get your masters? I don't think any of these programs say you can't already hold a degree, but I don't know if you would mess up the sequence of their classes if you tried to substitute/transfer credits from your degree you already hold because you would have to complete the general education requirements too. Also, the programs that are advertised at BS/MS combined programs (at least maybe on OTCAS) may be specifically for students who are already attending that school for the BS and then they have to apply for graduate admissions as a junior.

Maybe search the forum for anyone who did a BS/MS program.

What is your degree already in? I have no idea if they will be more likely to take you, but do you really want to do 5 years to get your masters? I don't think any of these programs say you can't already hold a degree, but I don't know if you would mess up the sequence of their classes if you tried to substitute/transfer credits from your degree you already hold because you would have to complete the general education requirements too. Also, the programs that are advertised at BS/MS combined programs (at least maybe on OTCAS) may be specifically for students who are already attending that school for the BS and then they have to apply for graduate admissions as a junior.

Maybe search the forum for anyone who did a BS/MS program.

My degree is in Kinesiology. My friend mentioned she was applying to some BS/MS programs and it meant she would have to do like an extra year of school but she is just applying out of fear she won't get in somewhere.

OTCAS is now reviewing applications submitted October 8th!

Thank goodness! I submitted on the 16th, so fingers crossed mine will be verified soon!

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted mine on October 10th and was verified yesterday! Woo!

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted on 10/15 and it was verified 10/31!

I submitted on 10/15 and it was verified 10/31!

That is the most exciting thing that I have heard all day! I submitted on 10/16, so I am praying that I will be verified tomorrow. It's been a very long and drawn out process.

Just out of curiosity, where are you applying to?

UPDATE: I was verified today (11/3) and submitted on 10/16!

Last edited:
That is the most exciting thing that I have heard all day! I submitted on 10/16, so I am praying that I will be verified tomorrow. It's been a very long and drawn out process.

WOOO! I submitted 10/18... getting so antsy! I have to stay local in South Florida, so I am only applying to Nova and Barry. I wish I could apply to FIU but they have some prereqs that are very difficult to take and would delay my application too much. Where are you applying?

Hmmm. I submitted on 10/15 and am still not verified. I haven't been contacted about any issues either! :(

I submitted 10/19 and waiting to be verified. Hopefully I get verified this week!

Has anyone who submitted to OTCAS seen it process faster when the LOR and transcripts were received prior to submission?

WOOO! I submitted 10/18... getting so antsy! I have to stay local in South Florida, so I am only applying to Nova and Barry. I wish I could apply to FIU but they have some prereqs that are very difficult to take and would delay my application too much. Where are you applying?

I live in Pennsylvania, but I am applying to a variety of places:

East Carolina University, University of Pittsburgh, Virginia Commonwealth, Ohio State, Chatham University, Salus University, Murphy Deming (OTD), and Belmont University (OTD).

I actually got an email from Belmont this afternoon inviting me to come interview next Friday at their Early Decision Interview day. I can't even believe it! Guess I am packing up and driving to Nashville in a week!

I live in Pennsylvania, but I am applying to a variety of places:

East Carolina University, University of Pittsburgh, Virginia Commonwealth, Ohio State, Chatham University, Salus University, Murphy Deming (OTD), and Belmont University (OTD).

I actually got an email from Belmont this afternoon inviting me to come interview next Friday at their Early Decision Interview day. I can't even believe it! Guess I am packing up and driving to Nashville in a week!

I'll be there too! So exciting!

Has anyone who submitted to OTCAS seen it process faster when the LOR and transcripts were received prior to submission?
I think you do need your transcripts to be verified, but not the LORs. The biggest part of the verification is them making sure you inputted your coursework correctly and they need your transcripts to be able to do that. But it's still probably a good idea to submit even if your transcripts haven't gotten there yet to get your application in the queue.

So I submitted a completed OTCAS application, and I thought it was going to be verified, but instead I got an email from them saying I was missing transcript information and the status was unverified, so now I have to resubmit transcript requests to the schools I've taken classes at and have them send the transcripts to OTCAS. Does anyone know how long it can take for OTCAS to re-look at everything once they receive the transcripts? Right now my status is Submitted/Not Complete. Will I have to wait a few more weeks? Or will they look at it right away once they get the updated information?

Wow, that stinks! Do you think the transcripts got lost in the mail or something?! When I ordered transcripts from my schools, they made it to OTCAS within just a few days, but I hadn't submitted my application yet, so it still took a few weeks after submission. Maybe yours will be quicker since you're already in the system as submitted!

FYI for those keeping track, I submitted 10/18, and my application was verified today!

So I submitted a completed OTCAS application, and I thought it was going to be verified, but instead I got an email from them saying I was missing transcript information and the status was unverified, so now I have to resubmit transcript requests to the schools I've taken classes at and have them send the transcripts to OTCAS. Does anyone know how long it can take for OTCAS to re-look at everything once they receive the transcripts? Right now my status is Submitted/Not Complete. Will I have to wait a few more weeks? Or will they look at it right away once they get the updated information?

Same thing happened to me and I called them up on 10/17 trying to see what I could do. The guy I talked to told me that it would essentially start the verification process over as if I submitted it that day (even though I submitted in September), but lo and behold the next day my application was verified (after they received my transcript of course). But YMMV, I might have just gotten lucky.

Same thing happened to me and I called them up on 10/17 trying to see what I could do. The guy I talked to told me that it would essentially start the verification process over as if I submitted it that day (even though I submitted in September), but lo and behold the next day my application was verified (after they received my transcript of course). But YMMV, I might have just gotten lucky.
hopefully that happens to me! i resubmitted right away, just waiting for them to receive the missing transcripts