General Admissions & OTCAS OTD v. MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureottobe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was looking into both OTD and MOT programs and was wondering if it was worth it to do that third year and get my OTD?

Members don't see this ad.

im applying almost exclusively to OTD programs. People talk about there not being a wage gap currently so its not worth it. I think that will change in the future because OTD is fairly new and people with that degree haven't been working that long. I think that as people with OTD gain leadership positions in the next 10 years it will be the more desirable degree

im applying almost exclusively to OTD programs. People talk about there not being a wage gap currently so its not worth it. I think that will change in the future because OTD is fairly new and people with that degree haven't been working that long. I think that as people with OTD gain leadership positions in the next 10 years it will be the more desirable degree

I find it hard to believe that there will be a wage gap, only because people who have BA in OT aren't making less than pepople with a MOT... I think OT is more about experience when it comes to wages. OTD is probably great for those that want a leadership/management postion in the field or want to teach, but for general practice I doubt if it will make a different. But no one can predict the future so @futureottobe I think you should apply to both if you are interested in both degrees. I think right now its just a matter of preference... although I do thing that eventually OT will get rid of the master and everyone will have to do OTD (of course ones that already have a MOT will be grandfathered in like they did with every with a Bachelors degree). ... Just my opinion though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that it's a personal decision, but you need to consider all of the factors to find if its best for you. IMO, the degree itself doesn't lend itself to better qualification to do OT. If you get an OTD from a poor program, and an MOT from a quality program, the MOT will probably be the better bet. I think that an MOT with more experience will be more desirable than an OTD with less experience (and keep in mind that an OTD automatically means one less year of experience in parallel to an MOT). However, as mentioned above, the whole field will shift towards OTD in the next 20 years, so it would be getting ahead of the game. Also, it will probably be impossible to be clinical faculty in the future without an OTD (which I think is crazy, as several of my teachers have an MOT, but are brilliant and capable teachers). But if you're hiring for a faculty position, you're probably taking an OS PhD over an OTD, unless the OTD has a good amount of experience. The PhD is probably the more capable researcher according to the rigor of their degree, and they fill requirements for the department (although OTD is technically a doctorate, it isn't recognized by universities as equivalent to a PhD, and therefore, a faculty cannot be filled with a majority of OTD's...hence why I don't think that OTD's should be called "doctor").

I think it's what you make of it. If you go to a good program, and use the extra year to explore a marginal area of OT that you think can be expanded upon, that can be a great launchpad to pursue and advocate for the profession, and hopefully make your case for being a leader in the field. If you're going for an OTD just to have the D, then you might be wasting a year of experience and tuition. Just remember...we're not required to get an OTD yet, so you still have a choice!

Reactions: 1 user
i have to agree with @MOT4ME - i really don't see the value of an OTD degree when you can practice with a master's and get paid the same. even when (it seems to a be matter of time) the profession moves to OTD that doesn't mean you will get paid less or valued less with only a masters. there are still many practicing OTs with only bachelors degrees and they are paid based on years of experience. i think that if you do intend on going into academia, a PhD in occupational science or rehab science is the way to go after you have received your MSOT or MOT. PhDs are better respected in academia across the board and will guarantee you a much higher rate of success at becoming a faculty member or researcher and being valued by the academic community as a whole (not just the OT department). just my evaluation of the situation. i don't mean to offend people who have chosen the OTD route, but why pay more, and why spend more of your precious time, when it's just not necessary?

Extra year, extra year of tuition, 1 year loss of salary

Agreed. The return on investment just isn't there unless one is interested in research or teaching (or has a trust fund :)

I am hearing OTD's may be slighly less competitive in terms of overall fewer applicants, however.

OTD will not become entry level for OTs... a decision was made about that a few weeks ago so now it's really just a matter of if u want to or not.

Reactions: 1 user
I read that one reason to consider OTD is if you are interested in pursuing leadership positions within AOTA or if you would like to teach. It all depends on what your long term goals are - if you think that either of those are in your future then go for the OTD! Otherwise, I would stick with the Masters degree since OTD is not a requirement.

When deciding between the two, I would look at what the programs are meant to do. While people say a DOT may help them teach, most programs require a phD, not a DOT. A DOT is a clincial degree while a phD is a research degree. Because professors have to continuously publish and win grants to fund their positions, this is why a research degree is so popular. There may be schools that have professors with DOTs, but all of my full time professors have PhDs. The DOT was created from practicing clinicians to gain further education and move into managerial roles in their practices. We had a pediatric adjunct come in to teach us some child development last year who was working on her DOT. She was working on a cap stone project to improve her feeding practice. The DOT was meant to supplement all that she has learned on the job and give her the skills and structure to take on more leadership. How can you do that if you've never actually practiced? I just feel like you would get a lot more out of a part-time DOT program after you've been an OT for a few years than you could as someone who is learning everything all at once. Just because you have a DOT, you aren't guarantted a managerial position either. A hospital is going to give that position to a senior therapist who has been working there for several years, not to the 25 year-old new clinician. This is just my two cents. I'm in an MSOT program currently that is moving to a entry-level DOT program next year. For the reasons mentioned, I wouldn't have chosen to attend my school if it was DOT when I entered. My plan is to actually become an OT, see what it is like on the front lines, before I consider investing in a higher-level degree.

Reactions: 4 users
^you bring up an interesting point. I'm curious: if you apply to and begin a MOT, and during your time there, the program transitions to DOT, are you as a continuing student then required to finish the DOT (complete with extra time and tuition bills)?
Thanks!

^you bring up an interesting point. I'm curious: if you apply to and begin a MOT, and during your time there, the program transitions to DOT, are you as a continuing student then required to finish the DOT (complete with extra time and tuition bills)?
Thanks!

Luckily, no. My class and the class below mine will still graduate with a masters. Our school does have a post-professional DOT degree though, which many of us may go back to do. Some of our credits from the masters program will count towards the DOT degree, which is part-time and meant for working OTs. However, all non-OTs starting this summer will have to complete the entry level DOT program.

Thank you for your reply! It sounds like your specific school is offering the best of both worlds for those who may want to continue on, but not making it a requirement.