Other career paths besides Vet Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PellsBells93

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a friend who got an animal science major. But vet med is not an option and she doesnt like the agriculture side of things. Shes a vet assistant now, which we all know cant support you financially in the long run. So I was wondering if you guys have any ideas of career paths she could pursue? (Continuing education like masters is not an option)

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, she got a animal science degree but doesn't like the agriculture side of it? I thought it was all pretty ag-based... That's going to limit her options tremendously :( I can't think of any good paying jobs that aren't based around livestock production or agriculture in some way with that major. Maybe she could try to get some sort of tech job at a hospital? X-Ray tech or pharmacy tech or something? :shrug:

I know its difficult. She did that major to go to vet school but that's not possible for her with her gpa. Plus she was trying so hard in school that she didnt get any experience. Shes just lost right now and I cant think of any other ideas so I was hoping someone else was more creative than me.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends worked as a zoo keeper. It was not the right fit for her long-term, but it may be an option for your friend.

Reactions: 1 user
I know its difficult. She did that major to go to vet school but that's not possible for her with her gpa. Plus she was trying so hard in school that she didnt get any experience. Shes just lost right now and I cant think of any other ideas so I was hoping someone else was more creative than me.

May I ask what her GPA is?

Work at a dog kennel. Work at a zoo. Work in a lab that does animal research. Any job that requires taking care of animals will be welcoming of a person with an Animal Sciences degree.

Of course you're looking at entry level positions that may have very limited upward mobility without advanced education or professional certifications. Also, if your friend doesn't have prior work experience caring for animals, that might make employment difficult.

Her gpa is 2.8 I believe and she studied really hard and tried her best which is why vet school is not the best fit for her, and she knows that. She tried to get into a masters and was not accepted. She tried the zoo and she basically works in a kennel now. I offered up the idea of grooming to her. Just couldnt think of many more ideas for her. I feel for her.

And shes getting the work with animal experience now that shes graduated.

I just think it's going to be hard to find a career with that major that will provide a comfortable income that's NOT in ag.

OH! What about a pharmaceutical rep? She could be one for veterinary companies and sell drugs to veterinarians. Our pharm rep had his animal science degree. And they get paid well with good benefits!

Reactions: 2 users
Her gpa is 2.8 I believe and she studied really hard and tried her best which is why vet school is not the best fit for her, and she knows that. She tried to get into a masters and was not accepted. She tried the zoo and she basically works in a kennel now. I offered up the idea of grooming to her. Just couldnt think of many more ideas for her. I feel for her.

So to get into zookeeping, it's almost unheard of to start off with a paid position right away. Pretty much everyone starts off with a minimum of one unpaid internship. My friend did four, and finally landed a part-time keeper aide job at $8 an hour. I have a friend that did one, and landed a full time job at like $10 an hour. Zookeeping is not the easy backup everyone seems to think it is. You have to network a lot for that job (especially for upward mobility and better salary). It is actually really competitive.

Has she considered going to a vet tech degree, nursing, anything? Those are 2 year degrees (or sometimes one year). I honestly can't think of a job she can get with an animal science degree while being disinterested in agriculture (this is why you should major in something you'd happily make a career out of). She could consider leaving animals/science altogether, too. She has options, just few of them are good for life-long careers.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish but she refuses to not work with animal related careers and I feel wasting money to be a vet tech to only make a couple extra dollars an hour and not use her bachelor degree is somewhat a waste. Thanks everyone for the ideas, Im going to mention the pharmaceutical rep to her, thats a good idea!

If she wants to work with lab animals, she can consider a career in it. She may have to start as one of the animal care staff (boring, cage washing, feeding, euthanizing lots of mice), but if she sticks with it there's upward mobility potential. She could move up to a tech position with the veterinary team, which gets more interesting particularly with institutions have have more than just rats/mice. And if she sticks with it and does a good job, you can go into a managerial role. Pays pretty well even for entry level positions compared to most other animal jobs. Animal care tech positions are rather unrewarding so many people don't stick with it. That is why many of these positions are filled with immigrant populations.

Reactions: 2 users
I wish but she refuses to not work with animal related careers and I feel wasting money to be a vet tech to only make a couple extra dollars an hour and not use her bachelor degree is somewhat a waste. Thanks everyone for the ideas, Im going to mention the pharmaceutical rep to her, thats a good idea!

Well, no offense to your friend, but that's kind of her own fault. She chose to major in something she didn't actually like. She can try to get into a zoo, but I really recommend she start applying for those unpaid internships now (and a lot require you to be in school at the time, too). She should know that her competition will likely already have done their unpaid time in addition to knowing people.

Our vet school hospital has animal caretakers that work what seems to be all the time...maybe she can pursue that at a school? Not sure what it's like at other schools though.

If she wants to work with lab animals, she can consider a career in it. She may have to start as one of the animal care staff (boring, cage washing, feeding, euthanizing lots of mice), but if she sticks with it there's upward mobility potential. She could move up to a tech position with the veterinary team, which gets more interesting particularly with institutions have have more than just rats/mice. And if she sticks with it and does a good job, you can go into a managerial role. Pays pretty well even for entry level positions compared to most other animal jobs. Animal care tech positions are rather unrewarding so many people don't stick with it. That is why many of these positions are filled with immigrant populations.

I actually was going to suggest this as well. Fresh out of undergrad I did this work for about a year. Wasn't really my cup of tea but I got decent money, full benefits, and definitely got a good exposure to a different side of veterinary medicine. It's certainly not for everyone but it's worth looking into.

Could also look into wildlife type work. A lot of the entry level stuff is only seasonal, mostly spring-summer time. Texas A&M has a job board that has a plethora of paid and unpaid wildlife type work. Another good source to check out for a different type of experience in terms of animal related jobs.