Other Careers in Medicine? I can't make the sacrifices.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringSD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not in pre-med, just a female student in her last years of high school. I live where I can apply to medicine directly and be a practicing GP within 7 years from high school -- with affordable tuition too :D The only problems are that I'm hoping to practice in the US, I'm the eldest (with the responsibility of racking in the dough for the family A$AP), and I'd like to be married and have kids before my 40's. In addition to that, I know that as possible IMG it'll take me even more time with relatively low wages per hour... and that's just the beginning of it.

Notwithstanding, I do enjoy the idea of studying medicine/medical sciences (that's where all my study-career paths are currently headed) and can't imagine myself studying much else at university.

From what I can see, I'm not fit to be an MD, but are there any other careers in medicine or compatible with a medical degree that aren't as socially draining (like not needing 80 hours per week residencies)?

Thanks

(PS: I have a similar problem to @betadiene's problem)

Members don't see this ad.

Like a nurse practictioner or physician's assistant? These areas allow you to practice medicine without having to do residency, but you would likely have to go back to school once you came to the states to get the degree. I'm not sure if it's transferable from another country (or if that path exists wherever you are from).

Or do you mean a less taxing job as a doctor in the US? I suppose you could do some consulting for pharmaceuticals or something. There's always some non-clinical gig out there. It's all about finding it.

Thanks for the options! At the moment, I think I'm heading down a biomed/biochem route for a university outside of the States and leave the decision making about joining medicine or not later near graduation time. It also seems like a research job in a hospital, pharmaceutical, or a lab of any sort seems the way to go, especially since my heart lies with chemistry and biology.

There's also the topic of reach for any job. I don't know, I just have a feeling that my skills might be more useful in active academia *shrug*