Other Medical Schools with Accelerated Psychiatry Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatjelly

Meow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a prospective medical student with a passion for the mental/behavioral health field. I recently found UMD's accelerated psychiatry program which I've heard very good things about, but I'm curious if similar programs exist at other medical schools. Or, at least, if there are other medical schools that offer more opportunities to explore psychiatry prior to residency.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of this. What exactly do they do differently?
I'd be concerned about getting the experience needed. I did a psyc residency and fellowship (5 years) and feel that I would've been unprepared to be totally on my own if I had not worked a TON of extra moonlighting jobs.

The name of the program is a bit of a misnomer because they're not actually giving you any shortcuts in psychiatry, just adding on to the standard medical school curriculum. During your first two years you attend extra seminars and shadow internal docs to learn how to do a general H/P. You also go to psych wards once a week during your first year and practice clinical interviewing--I'm told this part of the program puts students in CAPP way ahead of other students, who normally don't start taking histories until their third year. Then you also do an extended psych rotation during your third year, and get additional psych electives during your fourth.

So again, it's extra stuff you add on to the standard curriculum, not in lieu of, :)

Sounds like regular med school where I attended.