other options besides post-bacc 1-2 year programs? or has anyone been through post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veritas16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still an undergraduate but I do not have enough time in my schedule to fit the pre-med courses even though I have already fulfilled some of the requirements. From what I have read is that post-bacc programs can be even more challenging due to the fact that you are cramming in courses that people take over the course of 4 years in addition to studying for the MCAT. So I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on this and what path I should take. I honestly plan on obtaining a PhD in the humanities first, then applying to medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Stay in college and take those courses extra courses. You don't need to finish in 4 years. I might not have the most cred here on these forums as compared to others, but I would have definitely stayed and taken the pre-reqs if I wasn't going to get my MPH. It is most likely cheaper, and much easier as well (don't need to reapply and all that jazz)

I just want to point out that this question sounds fairly insane. This is not meant as a personal attack on you, but a comment on how you presented the information. You threw in, "I honestly plan on getting a PhD in the humanities first" like it was an afterthought. A five to eight year afterthought.

There are lots of people that start medical school with PhDs. Most of them, if given the opportunity to rewind the clock and start medical school five years earlier, would.

Why do you want a PhD in the humanities? Why do you want to be a doctor? If I were an admissions committee and you came to me in five years and said, "I always planned on getting a PhD in the humanities before I attended medical school," I might think you weren't all that serious about being a physician, or you didn't understand why people get PhDs. Or maybe you were degree hunting... looking for extra letters at the end of your name. It sounds like you have a lot of soul searching to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still an undergraduate but I do not have enough time in my schedule to fit the pre-med courses even though I have already fulfilled some of the requirements. From what I have read is that post-bacc programs can be even more challenging due to the fact that you are cramming in courses that people take over the course of 4 years in addition to studying for the MCAT. So I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on this and what path I should take. I honestly plan on obtaining a PhD in the humanities first, then applying to medical school.

Typically the courses required for the MCAT and medical school are completed within the first two years of college for a traditional applicant. The typical structure is gen chem/bio or physics in the 1st year, orgo and physics/bio in the second year. With the addition of the biochemistry section, this adds another course on top of that. Depending on the university, students can enroll in bio chemistry after bio and gen chem, and some universities only after term 1 of orgo. If you plan on completing a PhD in the humanities (go philosophy!) it may make sense to wait to take the pre-med classes afterwards when you are gearing up for the mcat and medical school so that the material is "fresher."

I just want to point out that this question sounds fairly insane. This is not meant as a personal attack on you, but a comment on how you presented the information. You threw in, "I honestly plan on getting a PhD in the humanities first" like it was an afterthought. A five to eight year afterthought.

There are lots of people that start medical school with PhDs. Most of them, if given the opportunity to rewind the clock and start medical school five years earlier, would.

Why do you want a PhD in the humanities? Why do you want to be a doctor? If I were an admissions committee and you came to me in five years and said, "I always planned on getting a PhD in the humanities before I attended medical school," I might think you weren't all that serious about being a physician, or you didn't understand why people get PhDs. Or maybe you were degree hunting... looking for extra letters at the end of your name. It sounds like you have a lot of soul searching to do.

I can see how what I am saying seems absurd but you don't know my personal narrative and thus it wouldn't be a fair statement to say I need soul searching. Individuals come from all walks of life. If you happened to be on my admissions committee I guess that would suck but I can assure you I'm no degree seeker. I also don't feel like defending myself on a medical forum.

Maybe you should just worry about the PhD first then? I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand what your question really is.

Are you an academic enhancer when it comes to your reasons for post-bac? Or career changer? What else do you have going on in terms of forming an application at some point? Extras- research/clinical?

I also don't feel like defending myself on a medical forum.

You asked for their advice, that is why you posted? So you should likely expect to defend your choices - even though they may be perfectly valid.

If you want a PhD, then don't worry about a post-bac program - do that first.

If you want to get your pre-reqs done now, then make your undergrad an extra year and save a lot of money.

Reactions: 1 user