Other specified schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorder...seriously

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyjack70

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm probably not the first to say it, but is anyone else baffled why DSM-5 changed psychotic disorder NOS to the unwieldy mouthful in the thread title. Why not "unspecified psychotic disorder"?

Members don't see this ad.

there is an unspecified psychotic disorder. they want you to specify. you wouldn't put that at the diagnosis, you would put whatever it is, for example "traumatic hallucinosis", " persistent auditory hallucinations", "brief limited intermittent psychotic symptoms", "folie a deux", "attenuated psychotic symptoms" followed by (298.8)

i like it, it is supposed to encourage people not to be lazy and say what they are looking at. and if you are lazy you can put "unspecified psychotic disorder" (298.9)

though in general i often don't use DSM-5 terminology or diagnoses

there is an unspecified psychotic disorder. they want you to specify. you wouldn't put that at the diagnosis, you would put whatever it is, for example "traumatic hallucinosis", " persistent auditory hallucinations", "brief limited intermittent psychotic symptoms", "folie a deux", "attenuated psychotic symptoms" followed by (298.8)

i like it, it is supposed to encourage people not to be lazy and say what they are looking at. and if you are lazy you can put "unspecified psychotic disorder" (298.9)

though in general i often don't use DSM-5 terminology or diagnoses

I respectfully disagree regarding "Unspecified Psychotic Disorder" being a DSM-5 diagnosis. The two diagnoses replacing the DSM-IV "Psychotic Disorder NOS" are either:

1. 298.8 Other specified schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorder (in which you specify why it doesn't meet criteria for another psychotic disorder) or
2. 298.9 Unspecified schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorder (in which you do not specify why it doesn't meet criteria).

But in neither case is there a shorter diagnosis of "unspecified psychotic disorder", (though there should be).

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest thing that ticks me off with this change is the punchline of my in-joke has lost it's teeth.

Me: What's the diagnosis?
Resident: Psychosis NOS
Me: Okay, is it really Psychosis NOS or is it Psychosis FOS?
Resident: Psychosis FOS, this guy is malingering and it's obvious.

Happens almost every morning in inpatient rounds.

Reactions: 6 users
Not to belabor the point. But am I using this diagnosis correctly? Psychotic disorder NOS in DSM-IV = Other Specified (or unspecified) Schizophrenia Spectrum and Other Psychotic Disorder in the DSM-5?

this is why I don't use the dsm. Who can keep up with all this bs so irrelevant to patient care? I didn't even know psychotic d/o NOS was no more.....

Reactions: 1 user
A mentor of mine told me this. He also told me I wouldn't understand what he meant until my professional career went through at least 2 DSMs.

His tidbit of wisdom: Every DSM has something in it that is true genius that the later DSMs did not replicate, and in fact removed. Some examples? Passive-Aggressive Personality Disorder, Ganser's Syndrome, Impulse Control DO NOS.

Reactions: 1 users
A mentor of mine told me this. He also told me I wouldn't understand what he meant until my professional career went through at least 2 DSMs.

His tidbit of wisdom: Every DSM has something in it that is true genius that the later DSMs did not replicate, and in fact removed. Some examples? Passive-Aggressive Personality Disorder, Ganser's Syndrome, Impulse Control DO NOS.

My favorite's always been Inadequate Personality Disorder

I have made some attempts to move more into DSM-5 but it seems pretty pointless and all the practitioners I know seem pretty ambivalent about making the move. When we do consults at the hospital we give the DSM-IV multi-axial diagnosis, GAF and all. For those who were around for DSM-3, how long did it take you to get comfortable with DSM-IV? Murphy's law would indicate that it was probably about when DSM-5 was brought out!

So long as we have Unspecified mental disorder (nonpsychotic); 799.9 and PDNOS, we are good to go. :thinking:

Reactions: 1 user
I've been interested about schizophrenia disorder in recent days (mostly, I discovered its symptoms from here) and it was a discovery for me that there're so many abbreviations for this disease.