Oto Residency in Italy, any idea ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePacemaker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any one got any information regarding Residency in Otolaryngoly in Italy ??

Someone told me, the curriculum is all in English (exams and lectures).

What are the top universities/ Hospitals in Italy that over such program ?

is there any entrance exam ??

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I know nothing about oto residencies in Italy. However, there was this one time when I laughed while eating spaghetti and I ended up pulling a noodle out of my nose.

Hope this helps.

any one got any information regarding Residency in Otolaryngoly in Italy ??

Someone told me, the curriculum is all in English (exams and lectures).

What are the top universities/ Hospitals in Italy that over such program ?

is there any entrance exam ??

thanks in advance

Why not contact these people for more information.

Btw: This looks like an interesting article. (just keep in mind it was published almost 9 years ago.. I'm sure things have progressed towards unification even further since then) :thumbup:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First I have to admit, I have no definit information regarding a residency in italy. But I have very much doubt the curriculum is in English. Plus in your residency you will have to deal with all the patients in Italian anyway, plus all the paperwork (discharge letters etc). So you would have to be pretty fluent in the language.

Most European countries don't have a very fixed curriculum anyway. You just "serve" your time and see that you got all your surgical procedures covered as required.

And you would need to be certified as a doctor there. Within the European union all nationals exams (equivalent to the USMLE) have to be excepted, but for anything outside the EU you would have to see if they except it.

Most European countries don't have a very fixed curriculum anyway. You just "serve" your time and see that you got all your surgical procedures covered as required.

You have any sources to back up that claim? Your kind of slandering European ENT training by saying they "have no curriculum". Where did you get that from?

After the formation of the EU and the current Bologna process... all EU programs will be equivalent to each other (UK included) and you will be able to go from one country to the next to work as if it were the US (state to state). I'm pretty sure if the don't already have an excellent training curriculum and program... that they will very shortly. I would be careful making statements like that.

You have any sources to back up that claim? Your kind of slandering European ENT training by saying they "have no curriculum". Where did you get that from?

After the formation of the EU and the current Bologna process... all EU programs will be equivalent to each other (UK included) and you will be able to go from one country to the next to work as if it were the US (state to state). I'm pretty sure if the don't already have an excellent training curriculum and program... that they will very shortly. I would be careful making statements like that.

First of all I'm not slandering European ENT training. I'm in one! I'm working in Germany, did some internships in switzerland, Spain and Japan and was in contact and still am with other med/students/doctors in Europe.

And yes you are able to go from country to country to work, but for example you're finished residency might not be excepted elsewhere. Meaning you might have to repreat your specialty traning to some extend if you go from one European country to another.

What I'm meaning by saying we have no fixed curriculum is that there are no fixed time tables like you guys have. We don't destinguish between how many years of residency. You might do different rotations but even not much so. And of yourse the surgeries you do depend on how far your training got.

One of my fellow residents is "a year behind me", but she has done some stuff I haven't yet. I have done some stuff she hasn't or my older fellow residents haven't. Plus you don't neccessarily finish your residency right after the end of your programm.

Like I said. I don't have any direct contacts in Italy. But from knowing how it works in Switzerland for example I'm pretty sure Italy is no different.