Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope with eyeglasses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelloGoodbye

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been wearing contacts for the last 10 years or so and just switched to wearing eyeglasses full time. When I learned how to use the otoscope/ophthalmoscope I did so while not wearing glasses. I was just curious for the eyeglass wearers out there, do you leave glasses on or take them off while using otoscope/ophthalmoscope?

It seems that I have been leaving glasses on while using the otoscope and taking them off while use ophthalmoscope. Just curious what everybody else does?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been wearing contacts for the last 10 years or so and just switched to wearing eyeglasses full time. When I learned how to use the otoscope/ophthalmoscope I did so while not wearing glasses. I was just curious for the eyeglass wearers out there, do you leave glasses on or take them off while using otoscope/ophthalmoscope?

It seems that I have been leaving glasses on while using the otoscope and taking them off while use ophthalmoscope. Just curious what everybody else does?

I take my glasses off. Glasses just get in the way. I don't really have strong prescriptions anyways, but I correct any blurriness with the settings on the side of the opthalmoscope. Not like I see a whole bunch on the opthalmoscope anyways... LOL

Thanks for the reply! I have terrible vision -7.5 diopters! Any body else with advice?

You can wear glasses with either the otoscope or ophthalmoscope. When using the ophthalmoscope with your glasses or corrective lenses on, you won't have to adjust the settings for your own vision (you can start at "0" then adjust accordingly for the patient's vision).