Other OT-Related Information OT's in mental health use DSM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do occupational therapists in the mental health use or reference the DSM?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my mental health FW1 placement, and my OT instructor referred to his DSM while I was there. I think he was reading about the diagnosis of one of his clients.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Do occupational therapists in the mental health use or reference the DSM?
Not in the sense that they are independently providing mental health diagnoses, but they are certainly able (and possibly encouraged) to look at the book to understand more about their clients' profiles and potential areas of struggle.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using SDN mobile

Not in the sense that they are independently providing mental health diagnoses, but they are certainly able (and possibly encouraged) to look at the book to understand more about their clients' profiles and potential areas of struggle.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using SDN mobile

Well I've heard that they use it to make "provisional" diagnostics to give to the doctor.

What the therapist puts down as the diagnosis for the client.

So a physician will say pt/ot eval and treat-dx spastic diplegia (reason for referral)

The therapist may have the diagnosis of lower extremity weakness etc (based on what you are going to treat).

I have noticed that many therapists just carry over the diagnosis from the physician.