OU-COM Summer Scholars 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustin2207

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about their application to OU-Summer scholars for those who applied this year. Also, to anyone that went through this program in the past would you care to provide any information on it? Also perhaps your gpa when you were accepted to the program.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

hey man, i already started a thread about this a few weeks back but anyways, i guess we'll start hearing back soon.

have u taken the mcat yet?

I applied to the SURF program and have not heard anything. Anyone have any idea when they will make a decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone:

I haven't taken my MCAT yet however I am registered for May 20th. From my understanding we should start hearing something anyway now and certainly by the end of the first week of April. Pretty nerve racking . Inorder to study for mcat I quit my job making 80K ahhhhhhhhhhh lol gotta love the wait lol

Good luck to everyone , hopefully we all make it :)

Are you both from Ohio?

Hey everyone:

I haven't taken my MCAT yet however I am registered for May 20th. From my understanding we should start hearing something anyway now and certainly by the end of the first week of April. Pretty nerve racking . Inorder to study for mcat I quit my job making 80K ahhhhhhhhhhh lol gotta love the wait lol

Good luck to everyone , hopefully we all make it :)

Are you both from Ohio?

sheesh that really sucks. i'm actually from out of state.

I applied as well, should know something in the next week or so! Im from ohio.

noofy:

I am from Ohio as well I go to Wright State. how about you

I'm instate as well. Did anyone else apply to SURF?

Haha no worries ..... hopefully we all end up at OU !!!!!

AW: I didn't apply to SURF however, I have heard great things about the program!!!!

SURF and Summer scholars stay in the same dorms.

I go to University of Cincinnati, man. Hey, anyone heard of people getting accepted prior to getting MCAT scores released? I took the MCAT this past saturday, I contacted the admissions office at OUCOM and they said most likely straight to the wait-list..

I go to University of Cincinnati, man. Hey, anyone heard of people getting accepted prior to getting MCAT scores released? I took the MCAT this past saturday, I contacted the admissions office at OUCOM and they said most likely straight to the wait-list..

correct me if i'm wrong but their website just mentions that they require the mcat to be taken by may, scores don't have to be released then though.

yeah. oh well I guess we'll see here shortly. what are some of your stats, for those applying to this program?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes the criteria is that you just have to take the MCAT by May. Perhaps they misunderstood what you were asking. I met with someone about the program and they told me that you just have to post the score by May this way it ensures they have your MCAT scores by the end of the program in time for interviews.

My stats are not great at all, however, I am somewhat non-trad, and from what I hear alot more goes into the selection process than just scores. I think these are mainly geared towards a "cutoff" perhaps..... I know being that there are no interviews that essays and letters of rec. play a HUGE part as well.

Culm gpa: 3.25
Science: 3.15

Extracurr. : alot of volunteering and shadowing , im sure just like everyone else.

Work/Life experience: US Army for 3 years, then after I got out I worked at a major cell company as a general manager and most recently as a District Manager overseeing several locations and about 30-40 employees.

My major concern was my less than favorable gpa , however, I have addressed this with working 50 + hrs week etc. seems like this program could perhaps be a "Second chance" if I am lucky enough to get in. I also quit my job last week to study for the MCAT etc, that was pretty nerve racking being I have built a career over the last 4 years.

How about everyone else's stats?

Last edited:
That's cool man, good luck on the MCAT. It was rough to say the least. As far as my stats go:
cgPA --> 3.5x
sgpA --> 3.4x
MCAT --> pending

Work/life --> tons of shadowing, mostly EM. very strong non-medical volunteering. Geared my Personal Statement/ Essay all about son, who has down syndrome. Hopefully, I get some positive feedback!!

noofy and dustin-you both have a great chance of getting in. imo this program is indeed geared towards non-trad applicants more so than the fresh youngins like myself whose life experience can not even compare to what you guys went through i.e the army,, or a son with ds.

gl

Thanks Dk and I'm sure you still will get in as well. We should all e hearing somethig within the next few days hopefully we all get in !

Dk have you taken your mcat?

Last edited:
I'm actually not a non-trad applicant, I'm one of those "fresh youngins" (only 21).

Hahaha I'm not actually an old one either I'm 24 ..... I went into the Army at 17 between my junior and senior year with my mothers signature . Makes u grow up fast though

well in any case that still makes me the youngest of the bunch in this thread at age 20.
i haven't take the mcat yet either. planning on taking it late may.

do u guys know how many people overall apply to this program?
i remember reading in past threads like 3 yrs back that there were only 65 applicants for the 25 spots-mostly from ohio. not sure if thats changed though

@ dustin --> ha, yeah i bet dude. so did having a little one. it's awesome though

I'm not sure how many people applied. I, honestly, don't think there are too, too many applicants. Almost everyone I've talked to hasn't heard of it, and most haven't heard of "DO" schools. haha!

Dk: when I spoke to the adcomm this year 80 files were complete and they will accept 22 people . So about a 25% chance

Dk: when I spoke to the adcomm this year 80 files were complete and they will accept 22 people . So about a 25% chance

hmm sounds good. but i think my chances are slightly lower b/c i'm oos. OU receives most of their funding from the state.

btw hows athens,OH, have u guys ever visited OU?

You still have a great chance !!!!! I know they admit oos students as well . OU is also big on creating a diverse campus ...... Athens is actually a really cool town. The campus is great and it's a college town pretty much built around the campus. It's a pretty campus if you Want to say that.

My cousin is actually a medical student there now....she loves it , she is also going to be one of the teachers for summer scholars , she found out a few days ago which makes me think we should all be finding out soon too!

DK : when u say oos where at if you don't mind me asking ?

It's wierd that they told noofy "straight to waitlist" pending mcat scores because the requirement is by end of MAY , wonder if that means alot of applicants have already posted MCATs

You still have a great chance !!!!! I know they admit oos students as well . OU is also big on creating a diverse campus ...... Athens is actually a really cool town. The campus is great and it's a college town pretty much built around the campus. It's a pretty campus if you Want to say that.

My cousin is actually a medical student there now....she loves it , she is also going to be one of the teachers for summer scholars , she found out a few days ago which makes me think we should all be finding out soon too!

DK : when u say oos where at if you don't mind me asking ?

oos=out of state on the east coast
another thing that concerns me is that i'm currently taking my last semester of physics and will finish by next month. so i'm not sure if that will meet the physics requirement. but besides this i have a pretty decent gpa at a 3.7cum/3.6sci.

Yes your gpa is great !!!! Keep it up and I don't think that will hurt you . Because you'll still be done when the program stars

the incomplete physics isn't a problem. they don't care what classes you have yet to take. it only matters that you are done before matriculation, or you aren't able to matriculate.

hopefully, this is THE week. GL guys, hope you get some good news

I know hopefully we hear something today!!!!!! GL to everyone also !!!!

don't sweat it bro. i guess they had a bunch of apps that had current mcat scores. but anyways, i'm sure you'll end up in med school next year anyways.

oh, i'm not chalking it up to a loss yet. no news is good news, i guess.

noofy and dustin- are you guys going to call/email OU to see if u got in or wait it out. they said early april right?

Hey I havent heard anything either......DK you say they had a bunch of apps with current MCAT scores did you call? I havent called but I want to however, I do not want to bug them.

thoughts?

Noofy: hope you don't mind me asking but how important do you feel pedigrees etc was for the MCAT?

AHHHH gotta love the waiting game

Last edited:
nah i haven't called. i was just speculating since from the 09 thread they all heard back right about this time.

btw pedigrees are very easy if you understand how to use the info to make punnet squares and stuff like whether its autosomal or sex linked dominant/recessive. i'm actually hoping that they are on next months mcat :)

DK: yea I looked at 09 also seemed like they heard on the 5th right?

yeah man. that also where i looked. some got an email on the 5th and some even on the 7th.

btw i hope you don't mind me asking but r u applying as a minority or low income or both?

well I think there were three things right:

low income
minority
and educationally disadvantaged

I would fit 2 : educationally disadvantaged ( mother didnt go to college and father passed away with no college)

low income also. mother is widowed and doesnt make very much.

how about yourself?

-low income-working part time to support parents
-not a minority although parents were wartime refugees

Oh gotcha.....well it doesnt seem like we are going to hear anything today being that it is already 3:43 here

yup, i guess their office is closed by now. hopefully we'll here the good news tomorrow. gl studying for the mcat.

yep. nothing here as well. If I don't hear anything by thursday I'll call. but I'm applying under educationally, although i could've applied as economically, too, being that I have a dependent, and I'm still in school. GL guys, hope tomorrow brings good news for us all!

Still NO news guys....... Looks like tomorrow is another day GL

i will probably call tomorrow if we don't hear anything. man, I thought today was the day!

i just spoke w/ someone at OU and they said the selection process has been delayed a little bit. however, I didn't speak to the admission committee directly, so there is no specifics on how long of a delay there is. let me know if anyone else gets any specifics.

Awe dang !!!!! So no specifics ........ Delayed sounds like probably next week then ......

when i called the adcomm's were all in a meeting. so they told me to call back, and all they could say was that is was delayed.