OU HCOM- Columbus Expansion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on OU HCOM? My pre-soma club had an admissions rep in tonight and I found out that thier Dublin, Ohio branch will be accepting students in the opcoming cycle. Do you think there could be any issues with being in a first class? I go to OSU so this branch is literally like 10 minutes away from where I live right now, and therefore could be a decent option for me. I also wondered how competitive it will be. The rep said that you must select which campus to apply to and with 50 seats available I was wondering how many students would apply to it. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your thoughts on OU HCOM? My pre-soma club had an admissions rep in tonight and I found out that thier Dublin, Ohio branch will be accepting students in the opcoming cycle. Do you think there could be any issues with being in a first class? I go to OSU so this branch is literally like 10 minutes away from where I live right now, and therefore could be a decent option for me. I also wondered how competitive it will be. The rep said that you must select which campus to apply to and with 50 seats available I was wondering how many students would apply to it. Thoughts?

Any idea if they will maintain the "you have to sign a contract to stay in Ohio" thing?

That is a good question. I would assume so. They are also opening a Cleveland clinic campus for 2015.

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbus branch to accept a class next year. Cleveland in two years. Obviously there will be hiccups with a branch site but HCOM generally has their stuff together. The branches will match the main campus curricula so they aren't reinventing the wheel in that regard. If you get an interview at either branch it would be a good idea to ask them about how they have expanded or altered the CORE to accommodate a higher number of students and if the branch campus students will "match" their CORE site in the same system as the Athens campus group or if it will all be separate. HCOM is not at a loss for funding lately and is well supported. The CORE is a solid rotation system and there are plenty of AOA residencies scattered throughout. I personally find tuition to be high for being my state school. When TCOM is like 12k, OSUCOM is like 18k, and WVSOM is under 20k it makes you a little put-off (although umdnj and msucom are also ~30k is).

If you are from out of state you can feel free to be concerned by the contract though. I would not be attending the oos publicl I am going to attend if such a contract was present on top of oos tuition. I think it should be more in lieu of personally.

I would expect the extensions to be just as competitive if not more so than the main campus. Relocating to Cbus would be preferred over Athens by most people I would imagine. Expect a large number of apps for a small number of slots.

Just to add a little more information.... Students applying for the 2014 cycle will have the option on their secondary application to indicate a campus preference (Athens, Dublin or both). The applicant must be deemed admissible to the college first and then campus preference will be considered. There will be a "wait list" for students wanting a spot at the Dublin campus and moving between the campuses once the academic year has begun will not be possible. Those who are accepted to Dublin will stay there all four years and will be assigned a central Ohio hospital for their clinical rotations. Those accepted to Athens will be here for two years and then off to their CORE site for two years.

The idea with Dublin and Cleveland is that we have "one campus-three locations". This means that no matter where you are the same standards, faculty/staff structure, expectations, and basic family-like culture will be present. Each campus will develop their own "personalities" to be sure, but core values like collaboration, collegiality, and patient-centered care will be present at each campus.

With regard to the contract of admissions, I'd like to emphasize that only non-Ohio residents are asked to sign this document. An out-of-state student has several options to "negotiate" that contract with the best possible option being to do an osteopathic primary care residency at one of our CORE hospitals (the 3 years of residency counts as completion of the contract). There is also an Out of State Scholars program which allows accepted out of state students an opportunity to be considered for a waiver of the contract, meaning that they would be completely exempt from the five-year obligation.

We welcome questions about our new campuses and will respond as appropriate on this forum, or you can call the admissions office at 1.800.345.1560. We'd love to hear from you.

Do you happen to know when OOS students might hear if they are accepted for the Out of State Scholars program?

Sure :) We do two "waves" of notifications. One occured in December and the other is scheduled to happen in late March.

It is my understanding that there was no separate application for the Out of State Scholars program, everyone OOS was in the running? Is there an assumption if your acceptance was prior to December and you were not in the first wave, you most likely will not be in the second wave?

It is my understanding that there was no separate application for the Out of State Scholars program, everyone OOS was in the running? Is there an assumption if your acceptance was prior to December and you were not in the first wave, you most likely will not be in the second wave?

Yes, you are correct. There was no separate application for out of state students to be considered for the program. Even if a person didn't get an offer in the first Dec. wave, they could still certainly be offered in the second. Since our process is a rolling one, nothing is really set in stone until the first week of class.

I'd like to add to the discussion, that the OOS contract is not that big of a deal (no, really). If you're looking into primary care, the CORE has excellent programs, and once you graduate your contract obligation is fulfilled. That's what I did (and I remained in Ohio anyway...love the state).

The OOS contract is not as bad as everyone seems to think, and all my OOS classmates had no trouble with this, whether they chose to stay in Ohio like I did, or whether they wanted to return to their home states.

Also, unless things have changed since I attended OU-HCOM, once you spend one year in Ohio you can choose to become a resident of Ohio and pay in-state tuition (your OOS contract will still apply, though. Only your tuition rates will be affected). This is something most schools don't allow. Check with admissions to see if this is still the case or not.

OU-HCOM is an amazing medical school, and as far as medical education in Ohio, it's a great choice (and no, I don't work for admissions, I'm just a happy graduate).

Really loved this school but wasn't offered an interview (OOS). Was just curious though, currently the OOS contract applies to only AOA residencies in Ohio, correct? Will it be changing to any residency in Ohio when the merger occurs?

Really loved this school but wasn't offered an interview (OOS). Was just curious though, currently the OOS contract applies to only AOA residencies in Ohio, correct? Will it be changing to any residency in Ohio when the merger occurs?

Great question about the merger and contract. Just to add a little clarification on the contract... for years of residency to count toward the completion of the contract, it has to be an AOA or dually accredited residency in our CORE system (www.ohiocore.org).

The merger announcement has left us with many unanswered questions, however, I am fairly certain that time will be counted toward the contract only if it is a CORE hospital residency and not just a residency in Ohio. The merger target date is July, 2015 and much could happen between now and then, but since CORE is so central to who we are as a college, I can't imagine that clause going away. Stay tuned though. :)