OUCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to OUCOM and sent my secondaries. Now my application is complete. I am not an Ohio resident (I am from MSU, in East Lansing, MI)so I was wondering if anyone who was has info on the school, more than I can get on the website, which is pretty generic.

Also, here are my stats:

Overall and Science GPA: 3.4 ( I got mono my sophomore year and had to take zeros in some classes and it really hurt my GPA, but since then it is around a 3.8 science)
MCAT: PS:6, VR:9, BS: 8.. I just retook the test on July 18th, and I think I did MUCH better! I really struggle with physics and it hurt my MCAT severly.
However, I have really great LOR's and I have a publication with the Breast Cancer and the Environment Research center, over 800 hours of volunteer experience, about 100 hours of shadowing, and leadership roles!

What do you guys think??
Thanks for the info

I applied to OUCOM and sent my secondaries. Now my application is complete. I am not an Ohio resident (I am from MSU, in East Lansing, MI)so I was wondering if anyone who was has info on the school, more than I can get on the website, which is pretty generic.

Also, here are my stats:

Overall and Science GPA: 3.4 ( I got mono my sophomore year and had to take zeros in some classes and it really hurt my GPA, but since then it is around a 3.8 science)
MCAT: PS:6, VR:9, BS: 8.. I just retook the test on July 18th, and I think I did MUCH better! I really struggle with physics and it hurt my MCAT severly.
However, I have really great LOR's and I have a publication with the Breast Cancer and the Environment Research center, over 800 hours of volunteer experience, about 100 hours of shadowing, and leadership roles!

What do you guys think??
Thanks for the info

Hello davenp73,

Make sure you get your MCAT up and you should do fine.

I applied and was accepted to OUCOM last cycle. I was just about to start when I got pulled off the waitlist at another school. I had a 30 MCAT and about a 3.5 GPA. So I can at least tell you what I know.

For OOS, the word is it's rough. You need to interview early to get the best chance. Tuition is on the cheaper side, at about $35,000 for your first year as OOS, and $25,000 for the rest. However, the big con is the five year commitment to practice in the state of Ohio after you are done with school and residency. There are a few ways to satisfy this (like doing an AOA approved residency or buying out), but for the most part you will be stuck.

Athens is beautiful, but may not be for you if you are not into the outdoors or small-town. Housing is inexpensive and there is plenty of it. The acceptance deposit is cheap ($100). The school has a lot going for it. Great facilities, outstanding teachers, and more research than a lot of other DO schools. You are required to buy a tablet PC, and it seems like they keep up and integrate well on current technology. There are two curriculum tracks, CPC and PCC. Look on there website to see the difference. Your first two years are done in Athens and then you might have to move to another CORE rotation site in Ohio (like in Columbus, Cleveland, etc.). Any particular questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how picky they are for science LORS? They want NATURAL science LORS only. I have one but my other is a research professor through the College of Agriculture. I am thinking that I'll just go with it and see if they reject it but I certainly don't want to aggravate anyone!

They are very precise in having 2 letters from natural science teachers that taught you. They will most likely not accept it as a natural science letter. Just a heads up!! Good luck! :)

Anyone know how picky they are for science LORS? They want NATURAL science LORS only. I have one but my other is a research professor through the College of Agriculture. I am thinking that I'll just go with it and see if they reject it but I certainly don't want to aggravate anyone!

How picky are they about having a DO letter?

Also do you have any control of the city they send you to for your last two years?

(for those who don't know you do not do your rotations in Athens, they send you to a major city in Ohio)

They are very precise in having 2 letters from natural science teachers that taught you. They will most likely not accept it as a natural science letter. Just a heads up!! Good luck! :)

Alright, thanks. Still waiting on my physics prof....guess I'll have to but it on the back burner.

A DO letter is just something nice to have in your folder. For the last 2 years, there is something called the CORE program. After talking to the admissions direction, Dr. John Schriner, he said that most students get one of their top 3 choices. I believe there are 26 locations now for this. Check out their website...it has a lot of great information on the CORE sites.

How picky are they about having a DO letter?

Also do you have any control of the city they send you to for your last two years?

(for those who don't know you do not do your rotations in Athens, they send you to a major city in Ohio)

OUCOM still hasn't emailed me back about the contract. The website says one thing while the contract that we're signing says another. Its kind of frustrating.

yay just got the secondary! am hoping for some in-state love!!

I'm from Ohio...so obviously partial to Ohio...but is the 5 year contract really THAT bad for you OOS'ers?? :confused: is it the contract that gets you, is it being in Ohio that gets you? is it being away from home that gets you?

I obviously can't relate...but in my opinion...Ohio is a pretty freaking amazing place to be "stuck" for 5 years in terms of education and medicine.

*There are 7 medical schools (6 MD and 1 DO)

*There are at least two power house hospitals in every major city.
1. The Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland)
2. University Hospital (Cleveland - Cinci)
3. The Christ Hospital (Cinci)
4. OSU Medical (Columbus)
5. Riverside Methodist (Columbus)
(one or more of these hospitals ranked in the top 20 in every specialty reported by US NEWS 2008)

*There are FOUR pediatric hospitals that ranked in the US NEWS 2008 top 15.
-Childrens Hospital (Cleveland)
-Rainbow Babies (Cleveland)
-Childrens Hospital (Columbus)
-Cinci Childrens (Cinci)

....I guess I am confused...you aren't being shipped off the Sahara for five years....IMHO, Ohio seems pretty attactive in terms of learning and practicing medicine.

I've been Ohio for 25 years and while I would love to spread my wings...I always envision coming back here to practice because the opportunity to learn from great physicians and join great hospital systems is really prevalent.

I think it may be hard to understand if you aren't from Ohio...but the medical community, at least in Cleveland is HUGE. I think before you write off OUCOM, you should spend a day wandering around The Clinic, or OSU's campus....you might have a different perspective on Ohio.

What am I not getting?

Blondshell you make an excellent case!

Just some thoughts:

OU is in the middle of no where, not much there to do besides study so that is good I'd suppose but not for everyone.

I think being tied down anywhere for 5 years is intimidating for many people, no one wants that obligation if it can be avoided.

Ohio is considered a boring state by most outsiders.....or so I'm told, especially in Athens.

They only accept like 10% of OOS applicants which would assuredly turn me away unless I had the money and ultra competitive stats.

That being said I've heard great things from grads and hope that I get an acceptance there (if they'll take my LOR's). I know the program is strong and that clinicals for years 3 and 4 take you outside of Athens. Oh yeah and I don't have the 5 year contract to sign :)

Thanks for the insightful post, I didn't even realize we had it that good!

The midwest is not an exciting place to most people. You can look at all the ranked hospitals all day but that means jack, especially considering many people won't work at those once done with their program. I don't mind being in Ohio, but I'm from Indiana and went to school in PA. Just kind of a compromise for me...I wouldn't want to be in Cleveland. It is cold and I was never really impressed with that city. Cincinnati is nice though. Columbus isn't bad, but I don't think I could deal with all the buckeye fans. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Cincinnati is nice though. Columbus isn't bad, but I don't think I could deal with all the buckeye fans. ;)

HAHA - I was about to add...maybe it's us crazy Buckeye fans!!

HAHA - I was about to add...maybe it's us crazy Buckeye fans!!

Yea. I went to another friendly big ten school. ;) It isn't as much the people that GO to ohio state as the people that go to other schools or no college at all that are huge Ohio State fans. Its the same with every school, but last year when we lost the game to OSU, I got a text message $h!t talking from a girl that didn't even go there...unprovoked. Plus the sweater vest kills me.....

I agree that many people have negative connotations about the Midwest and Ohio, but I also think spending 5 years here wouldn't be completely unfortunate. The hospital systems are a pretty good trade off to the cold and snow.

I don't know if I'm turning in this secondary. I'm a little sour over not having an email returned. The contract that we have to sign says residency does not count towards the 5-year plan but the website says it does if its a CORE residency. It also states primary care CORE residencies are forgiven from the contract after 3 years. I don't want to sign a contract that says one thing and a website that says another.

I don't know if I'm turning in this secondary. I'm a little sour over not having an email returned. The contract that we have to sign says residency does not count towards the 5-year plan but the website says it does if its a CORE residency. It also states primary care CORE residencies are forgiven from the contract after 3 years. I don't want to sign a contract that says one thing and a website that says another.
I would e-mail Dr. Schriner (Dir of Admissions) at [email protected] or Ginny Valentin [email protected] (Assoc. Dir. of Admissions)

They both are super nice and I've had success getting responses back from them pretty quickly.

Give that a try...

Yea. I went to another friendly big ten school. ;) It isn't as much the people that GO to ohio state as the people that go to other schools or no college at all that are huge Ohio State fans.

hahaha ummm mosspoh that's totally me. but i won't hold it against you. i just have lots of ohio pride.

did you complete the secondary?

hahaha ummm mosspoh that's totally me. but i won't hold it against you. i just have lots of ohio pride.

I'm from Ohio and proudly despise OSU. I find that I'm an out-lier in most cases!

What part of Ohio?? All of my friends from Toledo proudly despise OSU as well...for the fact that the Michigan border is closer to Toledo than OSU and they grew up going to Blue games.

I am from OH. OUCOM is my first choice. Still waiting for AACOMAS to finish processing............its taking forever.

My question is however is it wise to send a MD letter to a DO school? I do not have a DO LOR, but I have an AMAZING MD one. I am just wondering whether thats stupid, because honestly the letter makes me sound like Jesus.

I am from OH. OUCOM is my first choice. Still waiting for AACOMAS to finish processing............its taking forever.

My question is however is it wise to send a MD letter to a DO school? I do not have a DO LOR, but I have an AMAZING MD one. I am just wondering whether thats stupid, because honestly the letter makes me sound like Jesus.
I'm have a great letter from an MD too -- all of my DO schools will be receiving it.

Last edited:
Another question:

Do you think you should mention how the contract to stay in OH is not a big issue in the essay about why DO and why OUCOM? Because for me it isn't, but I was wondering whether it should even be brought up as it could be construed as you thinking that many would find it to be a negative.

Hmmm...I guess they can assume that since you are an OOS'er and you are applying...that obviously you are okay with the contract. On the other hand, they may want to hear a little bit about how you'd like to practice in Ohio after medical school. Many state schools want to produce doctors that will stick around -- check the interview feedback board for questions asked to OOS applicants. Maybe this will be your chance to let them know that it's not an issue.

So, is anyone else getting frustrated with the secondary app? The essay section says that it needs to be typed yet it isn't setup as a form field in acrobat so you can't type in the section (well, and make it look decent anyways). Anyone have a plan of action for this?

Also, I've noticed that OUCOM and a couple of other schools are asking for the essay to be your "personal statement." Since I'm assuming they've already seen my statement from AACOMAS, do I need to write something completely new or is it okay to restate what I already said and then just throw in a few OUCOM-specific points?

Thoughts?

So, is anyone else getting frustrated with the secondary app? The essay section says that it needs to be typed yet it isn't setup as a form field in acrobat so you can't type in the section (well, and make it look decent anyways). Anyone have a plan of action for this?

Also, I've noticed that OUCOM and a couple of other schools are asking for the essay to be your "personal statement." Since I'm assuming they've already seen my statement from AACOMAS, do I need to write something completely new or is it okay to restate what I already said and then just throw in a few OUCOM-specific points?

Thoughts?

I have not received this secondary yet, so I am not much help. But what I was told is that the essay is asking why OUCOM and why Osteopathic Medicine. To be ahead of the game I already wrote my essay, and have it ready to go. I would imagine that this essay has nothing to do with the Personal Statement, but like I said I have not received it yet...so I hope this helped a little.

Thoughts?

I just pasted the prompt and sig line into Word and wrote my essay in the space...haha looks the same!
I wrote more about why osteo and why OU; I didn't really talk much about osteo in my PS...so that's what I was able to do. But I think what you're thinking about is fine, if you restate it or make it osteo/OU specific...hope this helps!

Only near a month after you asked. I completed. I'm supposedly complete. I'm kind of not expecting much from OUCOM. I'm really interested in the school, but my stats aren't very high for an out of stater. I'm hoping the midwest upbringing counts for something.

Mosspoh I'm right there with you! I've been complete since 7/23, when do you think we'll start hearing from them?

My home town is close to Ohio and I really want to stay close to home!

Mosspoh I'm right there with you! I've been complete since 7/23, when do you think we'll start hearing from them?

My home town is close to Ohio and I really want to stay close to home!

I have no real logical guess. This process is a lot of hurry up and wait.

Gotta question for anyone...
About those 2 LORs from science professors, if one of them is the lab professor (not the TA, but the woman who actually conducts the lab course/lab lectures/curriculum etc) and she wrote a wonderful LOR forme .....will that count ok? My other sci LOR is from a lecture professor I had . Should I solicit another one from an bio teacher? I did all of my sci's post-bacc so there wasnt much time to do the usual meet and greet and kiss.

Thoughts?

I think you'll be fine. As long as the person was a teacher and in the sciences. Ideally the person has a PHD as well.

I just pasted the prompt and sig line into Word and wrote my essay in the space...haha looks the same!
I wrote more about why osteo and why OU; I didn't really talk much about osteo in my PS...so that's what I was able to do. But I think what you're thinking about is fine, if you restate it or make it osteo/OU specific...hope this helps!

Ya, I think that's probably a good approach. I didn't talk about osteo or OU in my personal statement either so I guess I will expound on that here. Thanks!

Gotta question for anyone...
About those 2 LORs from science professors, if one of them is the lab professor (not the TA, but the woman who actually conducts the lab course/lab lectures/curriculum etc) and she wrote a wonderful LOR forme .....will that count ok? My other sci LOR is from a lecture professor I had . Should I solicit another one from an bio teacher? I did all of my sci's post-bacc so there wasnt much time to do the usual meet and greet and kiss.

Thoughts?

I would definitely try to get another one. Some schools specifically state that they want science professors, not lab instructors. I'm not 100% sure if OUCOM is one of these but its better to be safe than sorry. If you can't get another than just use it though.

I will check with the Director of Recruiting at OUCOM to see what they have to say. I will post it on here when I find out but I'll probably add more stuff on MyFutureDoctor.com

Argh.

Im still waiting for a secondary back. How long does it usually take them to send one out after AACOMAS is verified? Tomorrow will be a week for me.

Argh.

Im still waiting for a secondary back. How long does it usually take them to send one out after AACOMAS is verified? Tomorrow will be a week for me.

I think AACOMAS only snail mails like once a week. So I'd try to hold back your frustrations for another 7-10 days.

I would definitely try to get another one. Some schools specifically state that they want science professors, not lab instructors. I'm not 100% sure if OUCOM is one of these but its better to be safe than sorry. If you can't get another than just use it though.

I will check with the Director of Recruiting at OUCOM to see what they have to say. I will post it on here when I find out but I'll probably add more stuff on MyFutureDoctor.com

Even though we PM'd about this, for everyone elses sake, OUCOM will happily accept lab faculty letters but recommend getting another prof. instead. If you can't get one, your letter will suffice.

Hope that helps someone.

Hi everyone:

I am currently a 1st year at OU-COM. I chose the school over several other M.D. and D.O. programs that I was accepted to (so I'm obviously a little biased). That being said, having just been through the process I'm more than willing to offer help when/if I can. Feel free to PM me.

I am having difficulty with the OU secondary application. They emailed it to me as a pdf, but I am unable to insert any text. I really don't want to have to write out the essay; I would love to cut and paste from a word document but can't figure out how to do this. Anyone else having this problem or can anyone else offer some tips?

I am having difficulty with the OU secondary application. They emailed it to me as a pdf, but I am unable to insert any text. I really don't want to have to write out the essay; I would love to cut and paste from a word document but can't figure out how to do this. Anyone else having this problem or can anyone else offer some tips?

I believe you can download adobe profesional as a trial for free and then be able to manipulate the pdf

I spoke with their admissions regarding their secondary and they say that most just print it out and attach the essay as a separate sheet. That way you just have to hand write the standard information. But the adobe professional trial will let you type on it (i think).

just my 2cents
IamAriDO

Check to see if your school has a nice discount on adobe professional. It is a great investment if you can get it cheap. I paid 30 dollars for it and use it all the time.

Does anyone know when Ohio usually gives out interviews? I've received so interviews from other schools already, but OUCOM is my first choice.

Never mind, I just received an invitation.

In what form and when did you send in your secondary?

Thanks.

I received the invitation via snail mail.
Sent in secondary beginning of September.

On another note, does anyone know how relaxed is the interview? What is the applied/interview/acceptance rate?

I did it low-rent style. I just recreated the document in Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.