our favorite secondary questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't get this secondary, but i saw a copy of my friend's Meharry secondary and just laughed:

"Do you have adequate financial resources to attend medical school? _Yes _No"

Uhh, how is this going to factor into their decision? What kind of question is this? How is it just yes or no? Where is the "no, but some bank that i will owe my soul to in ten years does" answer? Is one supposed to say, oh yeah, let me pull that 150,000 out of my no interest college checking account? This seems like one of those "Have you stopped beating your wife" type questions.

if anyone else is running into some silly questions on these things, or just wants to bitch about secondaries in general, i'd love to hear.

Members don't see this ad.

Are they going to reject you b/c you can't spare an extra $35,000 a year in pocket change? What a ridiculous question!!!

I guess I'll just sell the Bently to finance my first year...oh wait... I drive a Civic! :laugh: :laugh:

That is pretty silly. How many people can really pay for med school out of pocket?

If it's 5% I'd be surprised.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a white, middle-class, suburban male, my favorite question so far is on USC's application: What can you bring to the diversity of the entering class?

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
My favorite secondary question is "What is your credit card # and expiration date?"

:laugh: :laugh:

that leads me to another question. Which of the two types of secondaries do you prefer doing?

a) what is your name and amcas ID again? who are your LORs? Ok, give us 90 dollars (einstein, nymc, penn, etc)

OR

b) what makes you want to come to our school? how will you add blah blah blah to our school? What makes a good doc? Tell us about an ethical decision you had to make. Ok, NOW give us 90 dollars (duke, northwestern, etc)

i personally vote the latter. even though its a much bigger hassle to write those essays, at least i feel like those extra essays add something to my app. That c note i dropped on nymc was just absurd.

of course, there's the best of both worlds (MCG and UHUHS, free secondaries!!!! :D :D )

Personally, I am weary of writing essays. I would prefer just to send the money. My AMCAS can speak for me.

I loved this question from Kansas Universities Secondary: "Of the experiences you listed on the AMCAS application, choose the one that had the most impact and describe how it has influenced your decision to become a physician."..... in 255 characters (including spaces)!!! How the hell I am supposed to write a coherent essay covering that in 2 lines I have no clue.

Originally posted by DW
I didn't get this secondary, but i saw a copy of my friend's Meharry secondary and just laughed:

"Do you have adequate financial resources to attend medical school? _Yes _No"

Write on it:
"I would probably have adequate financial resources to attend medical school IF I WASN'T ALREADY BLED DRY BY THE APPLICATION PROCESS!!!!"

I'm sorry... but this one takes the cake...

2. The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and ?life-altering? technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients.

Originally posted by relatively prime
I'm sorry... but this one takes the cake...

2. The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and ?life-altering? technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients.

Duke!

My two favorite so far have been....

UT Houston -- all you have to do for their secondary application is send them a copy of your Selective Service card.

UTMB -- nothing. no photos, no money, no questions, no essay

My favorite quote from instructions so far has been from Tufts....Is there any personal reason or circumstance...

For the overwhelming majority of our applicants, the correct answer to this question is simply "no." That answer is fine and perfectly acceptable - please do not feel compelled to turn to research or creative writing. Most applicants apply to many schools to optimize the likelihood of admission. We understand this. It's OK to click "no" and move on.

Originally posted by cabruen
My two favorite so far have been....

UT Houston -- all you have to do for their secondary application is send them a copy of your Selective Service card.
[/I]

Huh? What the hell does that have to do with anything? Who still has that card, didn't we send that off when we were 18?

and that duke question, guh. I guess that thesis you have to write to finish their secondary serves as a screen of sorts, i doubt many borderline applicants are even bothering with that thing. I'm suprised they have enough people every year who actually write all that **** to fill their class :laugh:

Columbia:
more so the way they worded it than the ? itself

"Are you going to provide us here with the three recommenders that knew you the best ...? (yes/no)
(gives spaces to list names/titles)

ummmmm okay do you want me to? If you do, just say so. I mean aren't you going to find out anyway -thanks for the rhetorical command.

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
I like BU's app.

Please, mail us $100 and a photograph, photograph is not required.

my favorite question for sure :)