Out of country schooling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Matt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am just wondering if it is possible to practice veterinary medicine in Canada, even though you went to a veterinary college in the united states???? Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Hence why it is called the NAVLE.

Reactions: 1 user
I see from your past posts that you're Canadian. Just a heads up - Canadians are not guaranteed cost of attendance the way that Americans are. You're free to go to an American school, but you may have a hard time securing the funds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see from your past posts that you're Canadian. Just a heads up - Canadians are not guaranteed cost of attendance the way that Americans are. You're free to go to an American school, but you may have a hard time securing the funds.

Meaning that tuition and fees will be more for international students right?

Meaning that tuition and fees will be more for international students right?

Well, you'll pay out of state tuition, the same as an American applying to an out of state school. The problem is that in the USA, their student loan system guarantees a student will get loaned the amount of money they need for that school. So if Random State University School of Veterinary Medicine has tuition + cost of living of $60,000 per year, the USA student loan system will give the American student $60,000. As a Canadian, you still have to pay the $60,000, but you don't apply to the American student loan system. You apply to the Canadian one. Which says, "You get $X/week, regardless of your total costs." For me, that's usually around $15,000 in loans and grants (it will vary slightly by province). You may be able to make up the difference in private loans/line of credit from banks, but it's definitely not a sure thing.

What Coquette said.

You're on the hook for tuition/fees + living expenses minus the small amounts that you can get in loans here.