Out-of-state externship = out-of-state tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuD90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been looking around for a bit but I don't seem to find an answer anywhere. If we decide on an out-of-state placement for our 4th year practicum/externship, do we have to pay out-of-state tuition in our program for that year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the program and whether you began as out-of-state. I am out-of-state, and my program requires minimum-time enrollment during the 4th year. I will pay out-of-state fees for something like 4 credit hours. If I were receiving in-state tuition because of resident status, I would pay the in-state minimum.

Don't you have an advisor? This would be a question for them.

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

Wow...only 4 credits?

My program has me pay 9 credits a semester for externship for a total of 27 credits... I am glad I didn't know this wasn't typical across schools! Oh, well... already paid :D

Members don't see this ad :)
the cons of being part-time during the 4th year is not qualifying for student loans and having to payback your existing loans. the pros - obviously - paying less tuition. so it's def something to think about.

i do not think you would have to pay out-of-state tuition but the person to ask would definitely be your adviser.

Wow...only 4 credits?

My program has me pay 9 credits a semester for externship for a total of 27 credits... I am glad I didn't know this wasn't typical across schools! Oh, well... already paid :D

I think so. We pay as little as possible to still be considered students. Don't quote me on it; I didn't take notes! :oops:

Thanks so much for all of your helpful replies!
I haven't started my program yet, that's why I can't ask my adviser. I was just curious how that would work. Thanks again! :)

it really should be based on your enrollment, not where you do your externship. if you have OOS status for the first 3 years, then you would still be OOS regardless of where you go. externs have a contract with the externship site through the school, so it should be based on your resident status for tuition purposes. afterall, you will still be paying your school for those externship credits and still be considered a student of that university.

I think so. We pay as little as possible to still be considered students. Don't quote me on it; I didn't take notes! :oops:

That's how ours is also. 2-3 grad hours for the minimum but they will let you enroll in 6 if you need to qualify for federal students loans (must be at least half time to qualiy). I haven't asked specifically but I think it's like rEliseMe, whatever you were considered before is what they consider you in your externship.